Muppets Are A Bad Influence

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Well, we all DO love our Muppets. Whether we get lucky enough to catch a film of Sam and Friends in a museum, meet and greet them at bookstores, or see them on tv or in the movies, the Muppets have been known to entertain us and inspire us.

But, they can be inspiring while at the same time being a bad influence. What I'm discussing is the whole deal that happened in the 80's.

Everyone knows that I'm not a Muppet Babies fanatic, but I don't hate them. I like them when they can be considered a part of Piggy's Fantasy, which they WERE according to the film which debuted them, The Muppets Take Manhattan.

Entertaining and cute, that's what the Muppet Babies were, and they spawned a whole other franchise for the Jim Henson Company...and, unfortunately, a million other industries.

What I'm talking about here is the Looney Tunes Babies, Flintstones Kids, Yo Yogi, Tom and Jerry Kids, A Pup Named Scooby Doo, Sesame Babies, and so forth.

It's amazing how one idea can just jump right out there and begin creating a plethora of similar ideas.

It's all as scary as the millions of "Blair Witch" parodies that came out, except in this case nobody is crying into the camera and saying they're "sorry," and they should!

So, my question is, of all the icky "baby" projects that came out, NOT including Muppet Babies but all those which came after Muppet Babies, did you like, dislike, or did you think the whole idea stunk altogether? Do you think the wave of baby projects would have happened anyhow?

Honestly, I didn't like ANY of them. Fred Flintstone's dad sounded and looked like he looked before he was a kid, except he had a mustache. Scooby and (it seemed) Shaggy sounded the same as kids as they did when they got older. It all just gets to me, and I plain didn't like ANY of it.

Also, what about Sesame Street Babies? Do you think they should off-shoot that into some pre-preschool program? Baby Big Bird running around after Baby Snuffy, Ernie and Bert in diapers, Baby Oscar. These characters came out as plush (except Snuffy) in the past, but what about a real show?

What do you think? Am I just being a baby about this?

FOZ

Sweetums74

Reaction score
None.

The only reason is that the "babies" concept completely ignores the background history of the characters that was established in the original franchise.

The creation of "baby" versions goes totally against the storyline/history of relationships that were created over time.

To me this is like asking people to forget everything that they know and accept the new history explanation or to accept that there are 2 simultaneous existences of these characters.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
:eek:

You're the very first person who ever agreed with me on this!!

Wow. Someone agrees with me. Finally. That never happens...

REPENT! THE END IS NEAR!!

Seriously, though, that was always my argument, too. UNLESS the Muppet Babies franchise exists totally in Piggy's fantasies, they can't have existed that way.

Fred, Wilma, Barney, and Betty all friends as babies throughout life isn't unheard of, but it just isn't plausible. That even goes against the stories laid out in the original series about how they all met!

You're exactly right, tho. :smile:

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
I never did understand why they went off with the "babies" thing. I mean we were shown "how the Muppets really got started (well, sort of approximately how it happened)" in TMM and then they tried to spring the notion of them having grown up in a nursery together. I don't like the thought. Plus I know someone whose mom wouldn't let them watch anything that had to do with Muppets because she thought the Muppet Babies were a bad influence for kids. So I never really thought much of them (except in MTM).

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
I also think of it as something else.....kinda like MCC or MTI....they didn't happen, but they exist.....

I think if the wouldn't have started the baby thing, it wouldn't have been long before some company did....just be glad it was the good ones that cashed in first

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
sarah_yzma said:
I also think of it as something else.....kinda like MCC or MTI....they didn't happen, but they exist.....

I think if the wouldn't have started the baby thing, it wouldn't have been long before some company did....just be glad it was the good ones that cashed in first
I agree with everyone here!

SpudMahna

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, this whole "baby" concept is starting to scare me.:wink:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Here's a good question, folks: Is it easier for you to accept the notion of Muppet Babies if you relate them as a part of Miss Piggy's Fantasies?

How can the correlation of that then be figured into the Muppet canon since they showed FILM FOOTAGE of themselves in the Muppets Family Christmas?

SpudMahna

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
Here's a good question, folks: Is it easier for you to accept the notion of Muppet Babies if you relate them as a part of Miss Piggy's Fantasies?

How can the correlation of that then be figured into the Muppet canon since they showed FILM FOOTAGE of themselves in the Muppets Family Christmas?
Oh my gosh, that is weird!:eek:

OOK!

Reaction score
If you look at it like they do withthe Care Bear history then all possibilities are real and no form of history is the real one all are as valid as the others!