Muppets at the Smithsonian

MikeWatt

Reaction score
I'm sure this has already been posted, but speaking as someone who had the rare opportunity to see this exhibit "back stage" while it was being prepared, this is a fantastic opportunity. I even had the chance to handle one of the original Muppet Show Kermit puppets. The original Muppets are breathtaking and this exhibit should not be missed!

Mike

ngreen522

Reaction score
I went on Saturday, and LOVED every bit of it! Spent three hours there ... taking it all in. I opted to not take my son .... Brilliant Move! If you really want to enjoy yourself, go alone or with another muppet fanatic. Bring the kiddies later to enjoy the muppet/prop displays and the TV clips.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I went on Saturday, and LOVED every bit of it! Spent three hours there ... taking it all in. I opted to not take my son .... Brilliant Move! If you really want to enjoy yourself, go alone or with another muppet fanatic. Bring the kiddies later to enjoy the muppet/prop displays and the TV clips.
I went there as well. It was very well done. As a Muppet fan, I throughly enjoyed it.

ngreen522

Reaction score
I went there as well. It was very well done. As a Muppet fan, I throughly enjoyed it.
Did you share any of your Muppet knowledge with other spectators?
I found myself listening to the conversations of people around me. It took so much energy to NOT jump in and share all the little known facts that we, as muppet fans, just "happen" to know. When I was looking at the Manah Manah and Snowth Muppets, a couple of tweens/teens came up and read the caption. They pronounced Manah Manah, "mana mana" and started asking each other if they remembered these characters. Without thinking, I interjected, "you guys have to know Manah Manah ....... from Sesame Street? ......... They sing that song that goes.. 'Manah Manah - do do do do do, Manah Manah - do do do do' ...........No?" It was horrific. They just proceded to stare at me with this,.. <We're not supposed to talk to strangers> kind of expression. One of them timidly shook her head no, and the other girl let out a very lackluster "oohhh yeeeaahh", but I could tell she really didn't remember them. After that, I decided to just shut up for the remainder of the exhibit, but It was difficult.

Is it just for a limited of time?
It will be at Smithsonian until 10/5, I think. Then It's off to Atlanta.

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
i was there during the puppet festival...i got some decent pics and got yelled at for doing so'

but in my defense the lady at the front desk saw my camera and even asked me if i still worked and could take pictures after i dropped it. and never could me i couldnt take pictures

wwfpooh

Reaction score

Did you share any of your Muppet knowledge with other spectators?
[FONT=Verdana[/quote]My younger siblings were with me and I tried to enlighten them as to why Jim Henson & his creations were so beloved, but all they wanted was to speed through the exhibit. Perhaps they were...embarrassed that I am a Henson fanatic? *shrugs* Each to their own, I suppose.
They just proceded to stare at me with this,.. <We're not supposed to talk to strangers> kind of expression. One of them timidly shook her head no, and the other girl let out a very lackluster "oohhh yeeeaahh", but I could tell she really didn't remember them. After that, I decided to just shut up for the remainder of the exhibit, but It was difficult.
Agreed. It's disheartening to know that many people in the world--even the little ones--label Henson & his creations as "mere kid's stuff".

grouchman

Reaction score
was planning to go before the exhibit left d.c.

could someone elaborate on the 'no pictures' policy?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Um, somebody correct on this me, but I do not thin they allow them inside.