Muppets Based on People

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
Just curious as to which Muppets are based on real people. Here are a couple I know...

* Animal is based on Keith Moon
* Dr. Teeth is based on Dr. Something or other from the music industry
* Statler and Waldorf are named after two New York hotels

What else we got?

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Not solely based on, but isn't Dr. Teeth a tribute to either Liberace or Elton John? And isn't Floyd based on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Band?

Hairfarmer

Reaction score
I actually see more of Terry Bozio(Frank Zappa's drummer from 1975-1978) in Animal than Moon. Watch this, and remeber he had a lot more hair in the 70's:
Dr Teeth is a blatant charicature of Dr John
Janice is pretty obviously Joni Mitchell
I always thought that Floyd looked an awful lot like Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter (bottom right)

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Hairfarmer said:
I actually see more of Terry Bozio(Frank Zappa's drummer from 1975-1978) in Animal than Moon. Watch this, and remeber he had a lot more hair in the 70's:
Dr Teeth is a blatant charicature of Dr John
Janice is pretty obviously Joni Mitchell
I always thought that Floyd looked an awful lot like Jeff 'Skunk' Baxter (bottom right)
Very interesting. Is this real Muppet Fan fact? Or your own observation?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
TuttertheMouse said:
Just curious as to which Muppets are based on real people. Here are a couple I know...

* Animal is based on Keith Moon
* Dr. Teeth is based on Dr. Something or other from the music industry
* Statler and Waldorf are named after two New York hotels

What else we got?
Let's see. Miss Piggy was based on Peggy Lee. There were quite a lot of Sesame Street Muppets based on famous people: (Ex: Meryl Sheep; Polly Darton, etc.) I'm guessing there were many others.

DanDanStrawberry

Reaction score
Hairfarmer said:
Well when I was in the Hard Rock Vault the tourguide told us Animal was based on Keith Moon and my dad (a big both Animal and Keith Moon fan) said it was quite obvious. However, have never seen Keith Moon play before and obviously I never will!!!
:wink:

Uncle deadly

Reaction score
no no no
isnt floyd a mix of sgt pepper and pink floyd
yup im pretty sure thats right
sgt. floyd pepper :sing:

Vic Romano

Reaction score
I know he's not based on, but Kermit is named after a friend Jim went to college with. And contrary to popular belief, Bert and Ernie are not named after the charcters from "It's a Wonderful Life," but I can't remember where I got that from.

Oh yes... the Jim Henson puppet is based on... Jim Henson... :smirk:

HeraLirambar

Reaction score
While watching FloydnJanice play "50 ways to leave your lover", my friend exclaimed, "It's Sonny and Cher!"
:smile:

But seriously, Zoot is based off Zoot Simms. That much I know, that wasn't already said.