1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Muppets From Space - Positives and Negatives

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Mo Frackle, Sep 1, 2012.

Buy the Muppets Most Wanted Blu-ray and Save 43%!

1. Mo Frackle

Mo Frackle Well-Known Member

Yep. That's all I'm gonna say.

Positives:
    • The Muppets Tonight gang that stayed on steal the show. Pepe, Bobo, Johnny, Sal, Van Neuter were all great. Though I kind of wish Johnny and Sal joined the gang when looking for Gonzo.
    • The scenes at the Muppet Boarding House. I only wish more of the movie could have taken place there. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a series built around the house.
    • Rizzo and his new rat buddies.
    • Rentro vs. Singer.
    • Jeffrey Tambor
    • Statler and Waldorf.
    • Dr. Teeth: "Shalom!". Animal: "Oy!".
    • Little bits from the non-principal characters.
    • The Noah scene with F. Murray Abraham.
    • That hilarious bonus audio commentary on the MFS DVD. Seriously, that should have been the DVD's main feature, and the actual film the bonus.
    Negatives:
    • The randomness of the soundtrack. The Muppets don't get a chance to sing a real song, with a few minor exceptions... Bobo sings that jalapeno song, Pepe singing "Flashlight" with George Clinton during the end credits, Rizzo singing the Oscar Meyer balogna song. Dave Goelz did a new version of "I'm Going to go Back There Someday". This made it on the soundtrack, yes, but why not in the actual film? They could have at least placed it in the end credits.
    • Lack of Muppets. The principal gang is very small: Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo, Pepe, Animal, and to a certain extent, Bunsen, Beaker, and Clifford. I know, several characters had yet to be recast, but it still seems unnaturally empty without the whole gang around.
    • Too many uncharacteristic moments. Do I even need to go there?
    • Pointless cameos (the Dawson Creek kids)
  2. chudman1000

chudman1000 Member

Ha ha, a series built around the Muppet Boarding House? Suddenly Im envisioning a Big Brother type "reality" show , except with the Muppets. Now that would actually be interesting to see.
  3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

There's already a bunch of threads like this, but:

The positives: considering this was the new era Gonzo that put Camella and wacky stunts to the wayside (the closest thing hear is he still likes getting shot out of a cannon), this was a good movie about Gonzo and Rizzo, while there are some great moments with Bobo and Jeffery Tambor that are the best thing in the movie... a LOT of what happens at Covnet is pure gold, actually. Rizzo's bit with the lab rats, the VanNeuter portion... even Gonzo and the Talking Sandwich. Plus we get a really big opening and that great Party sequence ("HEY! Who cut Gonzo's Cake!?")... the new characters got a time to shine on the big screen and shine they did. They stole the show in their tiny bits. Pepe perks the movie up.

The Negatives: After the big Brick House number.... WHERE DID EVERYBODY GO? Sure Breakfast sounded terrible, but that's no reason the house was completely deserted for the rest of the film. Until the Jacuzzi party, anyway. Seems like a lot of this movie was wasted potential and that's the biggest negative there is. That and the fact Kermit and Piggy are basically zombies through the whole thing. They were only there for branding purposes.

And for that matter, Piggy's subplot bothers me completely. Not so much because it was the only way to shoehorn her into the script and manage to get the one facet of her personality in (that Diva thing) but... well... I've heard of Coincidental Broadcasting where news programs in the show have a little too much relatable information... but an ENTIRE show called UFO mania that's treated like a serious news program? That sounds like, if anything, a crazy early 90's Fox TV special or some weird public access show. I know that show is how the idea got in Gonzo's head in the first place, but... why not a local news broadcast?
  4. Sequelcast

Sequelcast New Member

I really like the opening of the movie where Gonzo has the nightmare of Noah rejecting him from the Ark because there's only one of him. It's a touching scene and makes you feel sad for Gonzo.
  5. Mister Muppet

Mister Muppet Well-Known Member

i like the scenes at the muppet boarding house and the part when there at the party and sal's eating gonzo's cake :D
  6. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Oh boy this is such a loaded question. I will say I was able to at least find a few positive things in this film. More so then MWO.

Positives-
    No storybook characters
    Gonzo and Rizzo
    Even I have to admit the party sequence was pretty good
    New characters were good

Negatives-
    Already stated them several times. But I think I'll let Kermit speak for me again.
    4:40 mark
  7. MissMusical12

MissMusical12 Well-Known Member

I don't really remember watching to whole movie, but from the clips I've watched on Youtube, I did enjoy some parts like The Brick House montage (Like Mo said, the Muppets never really sang anything, which is really one of the things that disappointed me about this film) and the Jewish Electric Mayhem (Shalom!).

But personally, I just felt this film was mehhhhhh. From what I read on Wikipedia, didn't they rush film production because Columbia thought it would be a big summer blockbuster?
  8. Pinkflower7783

I just know I like Gonzo. He's one of my favorite Muppets and this film could've really been a great one but it was just poorly excuted. But it holds more merit then MWO.
  9. Mo Frackle

One more positive, kudos to Dave for his performance as Gonzo. Gonzo really has to go through some depressing scenes, and Dave really pulls them off. Also kudos to Steve's performance as Rizzo during the scene where the Muppets are about to say goodbye to Gonzo. A really touching scene.

Gonzo: Rizzo, buddy...
    Rizzo: No, no, no, I do not do goodbye's...
    Gonzo: I just want to tell you to take care of yourself...
    Rizzo: Hey, don't worry about me (sniff)...I can alway get a new roomate...

And I love how Rizzo jumps on Gonzo as soon as he comes back.
    MissMusical12 likes this.
  10. Pinkflower7783

I always said that's one thing I noticed about Gonzo he always has to sing the sad depressing songs in The Muppets. Lol. And this movie he once again has to go through some pretty downward emotions. But this is one thing I will give you is that Dave did a really nice job. But then again Dave is like Jerry Nelson to me just a legend.
  11. Drtooth

Yeah, I had to get that off the actual wikipedia. I don't see why the Muppet one isn't so subjective. The movie was plagued with production problems and a labored script rewritten a bunch of times. Columbia screwed Henson on this one, but Henson basically didn't care. No one did. The director was the nail in the coffin, as he clearly didn't know what he was doing and was a replacement for someone who lacked vision. That must have been SOME lack of vision to be worse than that.

Everyone involved seemed to be disappointed by the film. And I agree. it could have been a great film had they had the time, the effort, and a stronger director who was sympatico with the Muppets. It wouldn't have been a great film, but it could have certainly been a better one.
    muppetfan24/7 and MissMusical12 like this.
  12. Pinkflower7783

Yeah well when Kermit doesn't even like the film we know it's bad. :p
    muppetfan24/7 and MissMusical12 like this.
  13. Mo Frackle

I did, however, enjoy the audio commentary on the DVD. It's really very funny, and it's interesting that Tim Hill is involved. Though I think it makes sense to have him there (as a straight man).
  14. Drtooth

Kermit nothing...

Check out this interview from 2000. If you don't want to scroll down to the whole article, Frank says:

YEOW! I'd love to hear his full opinion on it some day.

The commentary was the best thing about the movie. Tim's probably great back when he did Spongebob... but his live action stuff is very... well... crap. There's something very off about the films he does. He seems to be in LOVE with the concept of fantastic characters doing extremely mundane things in a mundane way. And poo eating, but that's another story.
  15. Pinkflower7783

Kermit everything! As for Frank now that's one statement I can agree with him 100% on. Actually I remember reading that interview awhile ago.
    muppetfan24/7 and DrDientes like this.
  16. leafysuburbs

leafysuburbs New Member

Hello, I'm a recent convert, still haven't seen all the films (lucky me), but I really enjoyed Muppets from Space, enough to bother posting something. Its not perfect but what is? The humour in it is grade A, and true to the Muppets, not spiteful or mocking.

Bobo cracks me up every time, comic gold. Pepe, "Look who's here, over here" etc
    The house montage is great.
    Maybe its too humour reliant, I do miss a good Muppet singalong.

Does no one else get the Big Lebowski reference?

If I have one quibble in general, its the lack of a strong second/third... female character, 80's robot is good but gender neutral.

Thats it, just wanted to register my existence.
  17. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I recently saw it with a friend (I'm always WAY more critical when watching with other people) and I was really weirded out by the really low quality of Puppets that seemed to be used. Especially Piggy. Did they forget to stuff her head? And her jaw was half fallen off it looked like in most of the scenes. Fozzie and Gonzo both ooked like they were about to fall apart.
  18. beatnikchick300

beatnikchick300 Active Member

I liked a lot of MFS. Some parts of it dragged, and some could have been better, but a lot of it was pretty solid. Although I agree with Mo Frackle about Johnny and Sal (naturally).
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  19. robodog

robodog Active Member

It's wierd that this thread should come up because I saw this for the first time last night. I really enjoyed it. It wasn't perfect, but then, what is? I think I may have to face the fact that I'm just incapable of disliking a Muppet movie.
    Mo Frackle likes this.
  20. GonzoWaltsfan

GonzoWaltsfan Member

I don't understand the hate for this film, its one of my favorites matter of fact. The one thing that made this film so special for me though was how they showed what great friends Gonzo and Rizzo were, you could really tell how much they care for one another. I also really like how the film was about Gonzo as hes my favorite, yes I think the funniest part was when the cake got eaten and them lying to Gonzo about it myselfXD The only negative thing I have to say, why did they need to give Piggy a subplot in this film? They could have just left her out of it for once, it didn't involve her relationship with Kermit for once and was about Gonzo and Rizzo pretty much, what was the point?