Muppets From Space - Positives and Negatives

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Yep. That's all I'm gonna say.

Positives:
  • The Muppets Tonight gang that stayed on steal the show. Pepe, Bobo, Johnny, Sal, Van Neuter were all great. Though I kind of wish Johnny and Sal joined the gang when looking for Gonzo.
  • The scenes at the Muppet Boarding House. I only wish more of the movie could have taken place there. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a series built around the house.
  • Rizzo and his new rat buddies.
  • Rentro vs. Singer.
  • Jeffrey Tambor
  • Statler and Waldorf.
  • Dr. Teeth: "Shalom!". Animal: "Oy!".
  • Little bits from the non-principal characters.
  • The Noah scene with F. Murray Abraham.
  • That hilarious bonus audio commentary on the MFS DVD. Seriously, that should have been the DVD's main feature, and the actual film the bonus.
Negatives:
  • The randomness of the soundtrack. The Muppets don't get a chance to sing a real song, with a few minor exceptions... Bobo sings that jalapeno song, Pepe singing "Flashlight" with George Clinton during the end credits, Rizzo singing the Oscar Meyer balogna song. Dave Goelz did a new version of "I'm Going to go Back There Someday". This made it on the soundtrack, yes, but why not in the actual film? They could have at least placed it in the end credits.
  • Lack of Muppets. The principal gang is very small: Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rizzo, Pepe, Animal, and to a certain extent, Bunsen, Beaker, and Clifford. I know, several characters had yet to be recast, but it still seems unnaturally empty without the whole gang around.
  • Too many uncharacteristic moments. Do I even need to go there?
  • Pointless cameos (the Dawson Creek kids)

chudman1000

Reaction score
The scenes at the Muppet Boarding House. I only wish more of the movie could have taken place there. Actually, I wouldn't mind seeing a series built around the house.

Ha ha, a series built around the Muppet Boarding House? Suddenly Im envisioning a Big Brother type "reality" show , except with the Muppets. Now that would actually be interesting to see.

Drtooth

Reaction score
There's already a bunch of threads like this, but:

The positives: considering this was the new era Gonzo that put Camella and wacky stunts to the wayside (the closest thing hear is he still likes getting shot out of a cannon), this was a good movie about Gonzo and Rizzo, while there are some great moments with Bobo and Jeffery Tambor that are the best thing in the movie... a LOT of what happens at Covnet is pure gold, actually. Rizzo's bit with the lab rats, the VanNeuter portion... even Gonzo and the Talking Sandwich. Plus we get a really big opening and that great Party sequence ("HEY! Who cut Gonzo's Cake!?")... the new characters got a time to shine on the big screen and shine they did. They stole the show in their tiny bits. Pepe perks the movie up.

The Negatives: After the big Brick House number.... WHERE DID EVERYBODY GO? Sure Breakfast sounded terrible, but that's no reason the house was completely deserted for the rest of the film. Until the Jacuzzi party, anyway. Seems like a lot of this movie was wasted potential and that's the biggest negative there is. That and the fact Kermit and Piggy are basically zombies through the whole thing. They were only there for branding purposes.

And for that matter, Piggy's subplot bothers me completely. Not so much because it was the only way to shoehorn her into the script and manage to get the one facet of her personality in (that Diva thing) but... well... I've heard of Coincidental Broadcasting where news programs in the show have a little too much relatable information... but an ENTIRE show called UFO mania that's treated like a serious news program? That sounds like, if anything, a crazy early 90's Fox TV special or some weird public access show. I know that show is how the idea got in Gonzo's head in the first place, but... why not a local news broadcast?

Sequelcast

Reaction score
I really like the opening of the movie where Gonzo has the nightmare of Noah rejecting him from the Ark because there's only one of him. It's a touching scene and makes you feel sad for Gonzo.

Mister Muppet

Reaction score
i like the scenes at the muppet boarding house and the part when there at the party and sal's eating gonzo's cake :big_grin:

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
Oh boy this is such a loaded question. I will say I was able to at least find a few positive things in this film. More so then MWO.

Positives-
No storybook characters
Gonzo and Rizzo
Even I have to admit the party sequence was pretty good
New characters were good

Negatives-
Already stated them several times. But I think I'll let Kermit speak for me again.
4:40 mark

MissMusical12

Reaction score
I don't really remember watching to whole movie, but from the clips I've watched on Youtube, I did enjoy some parts like The Brick House montage (Like Mo said, the Muppets never really sang anything, which is really one of the things that disappointed me about this film) and the Jewish Electric Mayhem (Shalom!).

But personally, I just felt this film was mehhhhhh. From what I read on Wikipedia, didn't they rush film production because Columbia thought it would be a big summer blockbuster?

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
I just know I like Gonzo. He's one of my favorite Muppets and this film could've really been a great one but it was just poorly excuted. But it holds more merit then MWO.

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
One more positive, kudos to Dave for his performance as Gonzo. Gonzo really has to go through some depressing scenes, and Dave really pulls them off. Also kudos to Steve's performance as Rizzo during the scene where the Muppets are about to say goodbye to Gonzo. A really touching scene.

Gonzo: Rizzo, buddy...
Rizzo: No, no, no, I do not do goodbye's...
Gonzo: I just want to tell you to take care of yourself...
Rizzo: Hey, don't worry about me (sniff)...I can alway get a new roomate...

And I love how Rizzo jumps on Gonzo as soon as he comes back.

Pinkflower7783

Reaction score
One more positive, kudos to Dave for his performance as Gonzo. Gonzo really has to go through some depressing scenes, and Dave really pulls them off. Also kudos to Steve's performance as Rizzo during the scene where the Muppets are about to say goodbye to Gonzo. A really touching scene.

Gonzo: Rizzo, buddy...
Rizzo: No, no, no, I do not do goodbye's...
Gonzo: I just want to tell you to take care of yourself...
Rizzo: Hey, don't worry about me (sniff)...I can alway get a new roomate...

And I love how Rizzo jumps on Gonzo as soon as he comes back.
I always said that's one thing I noticed about Gonzo he always has to sing the sad depressing songs in The Muppets. Lol. And this movie he once again has to go through some pretty downward emotions. But this is one thing I will give you is that Dave did a really nice job. But then again Dave is like Jerry Nelson to me just a legend.