1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by goldenstate5, Mar 22, 2014.

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

If only Peabody was done in the classic animation style of the original Peabody...since America is now traditional animation-phobic.

2. goldenstate5

goldenstate5 Active Member

Official estimates are in... not good: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/chart/

Muppets went down even more to 16.5 million. Tomorrow the actuals come out, hopefully it'll rise, but in this case it seems more likely it'll drop even further.

For comparison, Peabody made about 11.7 mil on its third weekend (Muppets would be very lucky to catch that on its second), Lego did around 4 million in business on its seventh weekend (Muppets probably won't even be around for seven weekends), and Disney's own Frozen which stole a good amount of theaters away from Muppets managed to do .7 million on its 18th weekend. (MMW will be on DVD and Blu-Ray by then)

The domestic total will most likely wind up between 35 and 40 million, which means it needs at least 10 to 15 million overseas to not wind up a total flop... that isn't hard as I think MMW can do it. The real question is whether or not it can do extraordinarily better than that. Hope to god the answer is yes.

EDIT: Seems BoxOfficeMojo is already reporting a 1.5 mil overseas gross from this weekend http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=muppets2.htm

However, since there is no page up yet for foreign totals I have no idea where this is coming from. How many countries has it opened up in yet?

3. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

Some countries it doesn't open until next month or May. In, Australia it opens April 10. I should note I've been posting on Facebook like crazy trying to tell people why they need to see this movie this weekend. Obviously I can't twist peoples arms but at least I'm doing my part in getting the word out there!

4. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

I hope that these numbers don't hurt the Muppets to badly. The movie was Awesome!

Drtooth, DrDientes and Duke Remington like this.
  5. Pinkflower7783

I just have this whole picture in my head of Disney calling Kermit into their offices and saying like Donald Trump "your fired.":cry:

6. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Don't even go there! :grouchy:

7. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

WHY in the world are you guys so pessimistic? What kind of numbers are you expecting?

Duh it's not going to make the numbers that Divergent is getting and everybody knew that. A good opening for MMW would be $20 million and it was $16 million as of this morning, the full report comes in tomorrow, so I'm predicting at least $18 million. The movie will surpass it's budget, and this isn't the end of the franchise, stop freaking out.

8. dwayne1115

Well I just think that people are worried that if it does not do as good as the 2011 movie that Disney will no longer want to do as much with the Muppets. I mean we have had such a hard time getting the Muppet Show seasons four and five released and other things that we don't want Disney to just give up.

9. Pinkflower7783

Nobody is freaking out, I'm being realistic. I'm not one that's gonna paint this with butterflies and Rainbow Connections. You always prepare for the worst and hope for the best at least that's my take on things. I don't know about other people but going from a full theater from the last film to just 6 or even 10? I know I can only talk for my own experience on Friday but compared to when I went to see the previous film in the middle of the day on opening day and the theater was packed well what are you suppose to think? I really hope the numbers skyrocket internationally I do! But...I'm not gonna sit here and live in la la land either. And this is how I was for the last film as well, prepare for the worst and hope for the best. And thank god the best did come out and I am hoping it's the same. I am not comparing it to what it's competition is.

10. Reevz1977

Reevz1977 Well-Known Member

I personally think this movie will surprise, word of mouth may be the saviour!!! I personally hope that the youth of today aren't the mindless plebs we fear. Let's just wait and see!!

SweetMayhem and DrDientes like this.
  11. SweetMayhem

SweetMayhem New Member

My theater was full on Friday night, but I think this movie is suffering for 2 reasons- 1) Almost half the country just experienced the first truly nice weekend after a brutal winter- could be a lot of people chose outside activities vs. going to movies and 2) Unfortunately, luke-warm reviews can really temper the desire to run right out and see a film vs. waiting for DVD. I happened to catch a reviewer on Fox News saying it was "Good, but NOWHERE near the The Muppets" and that people should wait on seeing it... ugh. I personally know about 15 people who just couldn't get out to see it this weekend, but plan to go in the next week. 15 people do not equal a success, by any means, but I'd imagine a lot of us know people in that position, and it still has two weeks before the next true "family" movie moves into the market, and I think it has the potential to do better overseas than the previous film.

12. Pinkflower7783

On a positive note I will say I have seen even casual Muppet fans praise the film so thankfully not everyone is listening to reviews.

13. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

When my Muppet fandom came back three years ago, I will admit that I was one of those casual Muppet fans, but now I'm not. I am a true Muppet fan in my family and my parents are right. I am a Muppet so why be so hard on me.
    Everyone, be glad i saw it on march 21st, because I was one of those that did not want to wait. I wanted to laugh, smile, and enjoy the Muppety goodness.

Phillip likes this.
  14. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Sorry, I was just trying to snap you guys out of it. I'm just so tired of hearing people giving up and declaring that we won't see the Muppets for another ten years. Come on people. Disney is so invested in this franchise at the moment and there's lots of secret projects in the works. Disney likes the Muppets, and they're doing well so far, and they prove to be a viable franchise. I think it's safe to say that Disney won't be supplying the Muppets with any blockbuster budgets, but we'll for sure be seeing more movies or TV specials or whatnot.

This franchise has been around since the 70's and it's one of the most beloved franchises in history. Disney is not going to dump that once they already have all the characters back out in the spotlight.

MrsPepper likes this.
  15. Pinkflower7783

No ones giving up we're just trying to prepare. I wanna see The Muppets succeed more then anything! I loved this film and unlike the last one I had high expectations so to go on opening day and thinking your going to a packed theater only to see 10 people there I almost wanted to cry. That's how much I love the Muppets I wanted that theater packed like it was when I saw the previous film. So for me personally it's sort of taken away my optimism.

16. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

My good friend saw it last night(a saturday night) at one of the main cineplexes, and said it was tumbleweeds and crickets.

I know it sounds mean, but The Muppets are too good for modern society. The Muppets stand for everything the world should be, but sadly too many people don't want magical/smart/sillyness. They want clumsily edited, big, dumb computer generated monstrosities. In this respect, a lot of the themes of the 2011 Muppet film hit a bit too close to reality.

Doesn't it strike anyone else as rather peculiar, that despite zillions of dollars of advertising and endless interviews/commercials/talk shows/appearances, plus SIXTY YEARS of Jim Henson related projects...that to this day Muppet fandom still seems rather underground? Crappy cheap new things, like the newest Twilight Games(err I mean Divergent) makes several times more than the Muppets. Films that stand for nothing, are new properties but have a zillion times more fan sites/fan base. Heck a decade ago I commented how Farscape, a Jim Henson production, seemed to have an infinitely bigger and vocal fanbase than the Muppets proper.

It's a taboo topic, elephant in the room...but I cant shake the feeling the Muppets are not as beloved in America as we want to think. and despite the overwhelming positive buzz from critics and fans, they seem to be bowing out of this one...which I think most of us would agree was even better than the last film.

17. goldenstate5

goldenstate5 Active Member

I don't think anyone is trying to rain on people's parades, I'm just taking an objective view at this situation. The facts are pretty bold: MMW disappointed at the box office this weekend. It's about a hair above being immediately written off as a total flop for Disney right now, and if the legs are similar to the last film it will be. Will it rise in the actuals tomorrow? Maybe. But that's very rare for a movie which instead of rising, dropped significantly as numbers rolled in.

Now let's just say that MMW does flop domestically with a 30 to 35 million total (which seems likely at this point, and would be less than even the first's OW), and does modest business overseas, basically just around making back its budget. Will Disney completely drop the franchise? No. That's ridiculous.

But will they make more theatrical films? I doubt it, and even if they did don't expect Bobin or Stoller to come back because the only reason to do it is a quasi-reboot with new creative personalities. Yet the Muppets isn't a franchise you can really do a dramatic revision on... I think they'll focus on some other way to capitalize on them. Hopefully television.

Pinkflower7783 likes this.
  18. Pinkflower7783

So much for Muppet fruit snacks. :p

19. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I can't say I'm not hugely depressed about this. The Muppets was good, but by all means, this was a far better film on every level. Editing especially. There is no reason this shouldn't have at least had a 30 million opening. Disney promoted the crap out of this film, and it doesn't hold the same weight as some stupid tween fan fic that I've never heard of.

Seriously. Divergent. Was that factory written? I'm actually starting to miss when studios refused to make movies with female protagonists. It's a different audience that wouldn't have seen the movie in the first place, and it's families to blame for not flooding over to see this one. But really? Why do we need these disposable tween girl novels so badly? Twilight wasn't garbage enough?
    That kinda contradicts itself as a statement. On the one hand, if this movie barely makes back it's budget at least it isn't a Lone Ranger type failure, but it's still not going to be seen as successful. If this is the last Muppet Movie we'll ever see, that will be a real tragedy. It's one thing if the movie series ended with a terrible film, but a good one killing the franchise?

Muppet Master likes this.
  20. dwayne1115

Tonight is the UK premiere, and I can only hope we have a better turn out over seas then we did here in the states.

Pinkflower7783 likes this.