1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by goldenstate5, Mar 22, 2014.

1. JonnyBMuppetMan

JonnyBMuppetMan Active Member

I agree to an extent with what your saying. Although the Muppets are really for everybody, they do particularly appeal to certain people, and I guess if it was always on the level of, say, Adventure Time, in terms of popularity, it probably wouldn't be as special anymore. It's not that people don't deserve them, but more so that they're often taken for granted by the general public.

Drtooth likes this.
  2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Exactly the point I'm trying to make.

It really feels like the reaction is "OH YEAH! I love those guys. I have all their movies on DVD. oh, they have a movie out...ehhh...I'll wait for netflix or something." or "Man! The Muppets have a new movie! We have to see it at once! Jason Segal saved the franchise [2011]...oh wait... saving the franchise means there's another movie? Ehhhhh It's probably not so good so I won't bother [2014]." Or even some Geewunner crap about loving the characters but refusing to see anything past MTM (except for ironically MCC) and then wondering why the franchise isn't current.

On the tiny plus side of hope, Muppet movies never made big bucks (except the first one... at 88 Mil, The Muppets was the second highest grossing) but hit hard on home video. And this thing will probably make more than MFS did by the end of the week into next weekend. So there's that. But calling it a flop for falling 3 million short... really?

Muppet Master likes this.
  3. goldenstate5

goldenstate5 Active Member

Are you guys ready for another box office update?

What's that?

No?

Well sorry, here goes.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/
    ^Yesterday Muppets raked in 1.1 million dollars. Grand total now is 18 million dollars.

Considering that right now elementary schools across the country are on spring break, that's... awful. Normally the drop would be around 50 to 60 percent, with a Monday gross of about 2 to 3 million if the legs held strong, slowly decreasing throughout the week. Here it plummeted 77%. By the end of the work week, Muppets will already be taking in under a million a day, and will most likely end its second weekend just under 30 million.

I think it's about time that America at the very least seems a lost cause. Disney intentionally had Bobin and Stoller write in a world tour to market towards internationals, so let's see if that pays off.

4. Drtooth

Not being pessimistic here, but I don't see how 1.1 million on a weekday is terrible especially since it's just a Monday. I honestly didn't see it making over 5 Mil over this week. Maybe at least getting half it's budget back by Friday at most.

It's made almost 20 counting Argentina so far. Not impressive but not terrible. I'm not calling it until next weekend. I'm not exactly hopeful, but weekday traffic wasn't going to be that big anyway.

Edit: Forgot to mention that elementary schools being out is regional. They aren't here.

5. goldenstate5

It's the week with the highest number of schools being out, on record.

Divergent, btw, was #1 obviously with 3.3 million.

6. Drtooth

While I don't want to get too optimistic, I'm not looking at anything until the week's over.

But yeah. Divergent. Of course it did.

7. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

8. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

Well in a world of all that stuff, I feel like I'm basically one of the pretty rare kid muppet fans on this forum (i'm 12), and I do beg my parents for anything muppet, so ya, the only other kid muppet fans I know are two of my friends and even then they're more of the casual type. If you're a muppet fan on this website that's a kid (1-17) please like this comment and everyone else can as well.

Muppetgirl09 and beaker like this.
  9. DarthGonzo

DarthGonzo Active Member

I think one of the biggest reasons the 2011 film did so well was that reviews and word of mouth were unbelievably good. Seriously, wasn't it one of the very best reviewed movies of that year? That's an accomplishment. Everyone wants to see a movie like that. Additionally, it was a novelty to see the Muppets in theaters again, since it had been 12 years since the last one. People were moved by the film, and for the most part it hit all the right nostalgia buttons for it's audience. I enjoyed MMW, but to me and my wife, it really didn't compare to the first one, and the reviews seem to reflect that. Maybe rushing a sequel less than two and a half years after the last one might not have been the best idea. Most people I know seem completely ambivalent about it. Heck, we saw it Friday night at 9pm and the theater was maybe half full. That wasn't a good sign.

10. Muppet Master

Oh come on don't be so hard on them. Sure they'll never be as big as those titles, but heck in their heyday the original muppet movie (TMM) made $216,900,400 only counting the domestic box office (adjusted for ticket price inflation, because it's a 30+ film) and was the 9th highest grossing film of 1979. Even GMC which had some tepid reviews back then managed $93,731,000 almost $100 million which is still a decent total, and it was in the top 30 highest grossing film of 1981. Then the box office for muppet films kind of left with $63 mil from MTM and $64 million and less from the rest of the muppet films. So in all think of it as this way. The muppets are old and aren't as spry and young as the other films on the market, but in their heyday they were a billion times better than TLM, PAS, and F.

heralde likes this.
  11. Drtooth

I'm sorry, but most of the reviews were bullcrap and based on Jason Segal not being involved. If people actually listened to them and avoided this movie because of those frankly poorly written and amateurish (for professionals) reviews, they are NOT true fans (true fans sit through much worse than "slightly disappointing") and only have themselves to blame when the franchise slowly sinks into the sea of Disney ownership and seeing 5 more Planes movies (which get even worse reviews- ones that actually have a point and aren't written like Youtube comments) get greenlit instead.

Meanwhile a bunch of terribly reviewed movies manage to make craptons of money. There's a huge discrepancy here. The main (and stupidest complaint) is it wasn't the same exact tone and same exact movie as last time. You can't follow up a comeback with an equally huge movie. It can't be done. The comeback was to make more movies like this to keep the franchise going. How come they're expecting The Muppets 2: The Mission Pack sequel? Then they'd complain it was exactly the same. Kobiyashi Maru.

But saying "rushing out a sequel in 2 years" is bull. That's usually the time most sequels get made and they usually do better. What, we have to wait 5 years for a slow hand crafted piece that's still not the same as the first one?

12. Muppet Master

Most schools around here aren't on spring break until the week ends. 3.3 mil for Detergent is HORRIBLE considering how you said that a number of tweens are on spring break. Movies that start with a nearly $60 million opening should be pushing the big bucks out, I mean like $4-$7 million. So let's do a little breakdown. Compare Detergent to MMW on opening weekend. By rounding it $60 million vs. $20 million, and now the weekdat $3 million vs. $1 million, now both are 3x greater but still. Personally I thought MMW would get less than $1 million on weekdays, so it's doing fine. By next weekend Detergent is going to plummet hard as **** like how Link, Lew, and Fozzie fell in the Lynda Carter episode. Meanwhile I see most wanted either easing a tad or actually making more money than opening weekend. I know many of my friends waiting for Friday to rush out and see it and I hope the public really goes out to see it. Everyone with a facebook please try to promote MMW.

13. Pinkflower7783

Schools here aren't on spring break either...

14. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

New York had spring break. So did Connecticut, NJ... It's not because of spring break, guys.

15. Pinkflower7783

This is why I always prepare or the worst and home for the best. And that isn't just for Muppet movies.

16. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

I'm a sensitive, God-fearing man who wishes no ill will on people and will happily pat a passing kitten on the head.

But you don't want to see the look on my face when I visualize MMW grossing less than a derivative, intelligence-insulting, talent-wasting piece of garbage like The Nut Job. :grr:

JonnyBMuppetMan and Drtooth like this.
  17. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Ehhh, that's like critcizing Marx Brothers fans for preferring Duck Soup over Day at the Races. There is nothing wrong with preferring the heyday of a franchise. Like I said, the hope I have for the Muppets is in channels like The Hub allowing kids to get to know these characters in their prime through movie or Fraggle reruns. Henson and Disney should have been doing that for years.

18. goldenstate5

To be fair unfortunately fair, The Nut Job came out when there were practically zero family films on the market aside from Frozen. MMW is hot off the heels of three, and Rio 2 is coming very soon.

I know you guys don't want to be pessimists about it, but facts are facts: Muppets Most Wanted is very likely going to wind up a domestic flop. Kicking and screaming is not going to change things. We just have to set sights on foreign grosses and hope that it bursts out huge on home video this summer.

19. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Exactly. Attendance numbers don't typically increase as theater time goes on.
    MMW will be lucky to break 45 million domestic. Hopefully the reaction in the international box office will be more welcoming, but even then, it's not likely Disney will be willing to make another huge gamble with such diminishing returns.

20. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

What...Ducktales, Buzz Command, Tailspin, etc doesnt have FULL sets out? And Gravity Falls, THE BEST kids cartoon on tv(sorry Adv Time/Regular Show) doesnt have one season out? Man what's up Disney?

I don't think the lack of Segal or Adams has anything to do with lackluster support for MMW. I think it's just the fact a few critic sites like AICN and various aggregated meta-critic sites gave it advance bad word of mouth...plus society seems dumber than ever. Even the future twilight games movie Divergent I doubt has much to do with sales. Lego movie cleaned up, with near 100% fan and critic ratings(Still need to see it) Ultimately it matters little that you and I may think MMW is way better than 2011 TM...the fact is the public has been told that it's not a good movie, so therefore they are going to avoid it