Muppets Most Wanted Box Office Numbers

Drtooth

Reaction score
Again, that's what was reported Sunday Morning.

See? This is WHY I hate these Box Office reports. If you see the movie Sunday, it doesn't count for some reason.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
That's the dumbest thing ever. I can bet you more money is made on Sundays than on Fridays. Everyone is at work on Fridays! Who even goes to movies on a Friday?

Anyway, Disney film distributor David Hollis said a good opening for the movie would've been $20 million, and as of Sunday morning, it had $16 million, ONLY $4 million short of that amount. It's not a "flop"!

Plus, the audience has spoken! Most of Divergent's audience HATED the movie, and hopefully they'll make a turn around and see MMW next week. Also, spring break is coming up, and that'll bring in a lot of money.

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the dumbest thing ever. I can bet you more money is made on Sundays than on Fridays. Everyone is at work on Fridays! Who even goes to movies on a Friday?

Anyway, Disney film distributor David Hollis said a good opening for the movie would've been $20 million, and as of Sunday morning, it had $16 million, ONLY $4 million short of that amount. It's not a "flop"!
I just don't know why Sunday's don't count. There's some real bullcrap to that. Call the freaking gross on a freaking Monday morning. I'm sure that it at least was closer to 20 million on the full Sunday. I swear I remember hearing of a movie that opened third counting only Friday and Saturday, but managed to open at first when the Sunday was included. If Disney can at least call it a modest success worthy to keep the franchise going and maybe make a third film... that's good. If the missing 4 mil that they didn't report causes the franchise to be considered a failure, well.. I wouldn't be surprised. That's how it works. But Croods made a huge amount of money on its opening weekend last year (same weekend too). Maybe no one's going to the movies this March. But there's no reason it shouldn't have been 25-30 mil this weekend.

Twisted Tails

Reaction score
If I can I'm gonna help the cause and try to see it again (again ) this weekend.
I am going to see that movie again this Saturday. No excuses for moi (me). I cannot hold my grudge any longer to wait and wait until it comes to a dollar movie theater.

beaker

Reaction score
Unlike 2011 TM, I actually want to see this one multiple times. I'm really hoping you guys are right, and positive word of mouth gives it a strong second week. 16 million? Thats probably less than the amount spent on advertising.

I'm siding with the theory of psychological reasons why Americans aren't flocking to it. I mean it made me laugh, and it's hard for entertainment to make me laugh.

King Rupert

Reaction score
I honestly think Frozen sucked families dry. And people are taking break from the theater.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I honestly think Frozen sucked families dry. And people are taking break from the theater.
I'd also tend to think Lego sucked them out dry as well (as it should). It really seems March hasn't been that big for openings. But then you look at 300, Need for Speed... those things are losing money faster for being higher budget.

The bright spot is, it managed to open at second in a weak month in a very week weekend with 2 family films else out there. There is the faint glimmer of hope that there will be a stronger next weekend and maybe some middle of the day Spring Break traffic. But this film needs to make it's budget back and soon. I think it could if we're lucky and we count the long run. But seriously... this really should have done better than the last one at least.

King Rupert

Reaction score
I don't think anyone was expecting it to put up 40M, even disney, they didn't market this film nearly as much. Good point on Lego, totally forgot about that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Wow, such mixed reviews online from audiences. People either loved it or hated it. Hard to tell what I'm going to think when I (hopefully) see it this weekend.

Honestly, I wasn't so in love with The Muppets (2011) that I would be devastated if MMW went in a completely different direction, lol. Especially when so many people seem to be upset with MMW just because Segal's not there. To me that indicates that Muppets (2011)'s success wasn't entirely due to the Muppets at all. It simply resembled the current trend of glossy, peppy family movies close enough that critics and general audiences could feel comfortable with it. It didn't particularly challenge their tastes. Perhaps MMW does in some way.