1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

Muppets Most Wanted Press Reviews

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by MrBloogarFoobly, Mar 12, 2014.

1. goldenstate5

goldenstate5 Active Member

I've been thinking about this one, and on one hand I guess I can see where the confusion arises. For its entire production term, the film was (awkwardly) titled "The Muppets... Again!", and apparently that is still present in the movie. ("We're Doing a Sequel" has the Muppets actually title the movie that in the lyrics, which then hysterically smash cuts to... not that title at all!) Not only that, but the film starts immediately at the last scene from the previous film, retains Walter who is introduced in the previous film and continues the idea of the Muppets going around performing The Muppet Show, instead this time it's around Europe. So on the surface it sure as heck seems like a bonafide sequel, but obviously the main plot focuses somewhere entirely else.

So I guess you have a bizarre disconnect for critics, who aren't sure what to make of it all. From what I can see, Stoller and Bobin are pretty much trying to have their cake and eat it too, by appeasing to Disney and delivering something that somewhat resembles the first film ("More of the same" is Disney's go-to franchise-ready slogan, and of course is in the opening song), but is also its own thing. It speaks bizarrely about our culture who whined incessantly about The Hangover Part II being quite literally the same dang movie, but apparently demands their Muppet sequels to once again be emotionally-heavy sobfests with Jason Segel crooning with puppets. Nothing against the 2011 film, but it did its thing well and but really there's no need to repeat it.

Honestly I'm surprised that only one review actively compared it to GMC, which seems to be more of the spiritual predecessor. That's the one I'd trust, even if it is negative. This seems to be a happy-go-lucky, zany Muppet movie and I couldn't be more excited. I want it to succeed badly to get the coveted third film (which would make three trilogies of Muppet movies for three different generations), so here's hoping the reviews stay good!

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I'm in the rare camp that believes that Hangover 2 was done ironically. As in the studios and fans probably begged them to make a second, and there's no logical way they could have. The characters would have to be complete idiots to fall for the same thing twice. So that's what they did. Made an illogical mission pack sequel as proof they couldn't make a second film, logically. And the second did so well, they made a third. :rolleyes:

I also agree full heartedly that there's no need for another film like The Muppets. The Muppets was the film that we needed to bring the franchise back. The getting the band back together story that was a thinly veiled metaphor for the awkwardness of the Post-Henson years, and the freefall of Henson's ownership. A huge canon discontinuity after MTM (as none of the films past that are referenced). The Muppets served its purpose, made just enough money for a follow up film, and now we're into a more classic caper that doesn't need to have that huge emotional sting. There is no logical way to make The Muppets 2, unless the band broke up again and was brought back together at the end. Besides... they did that with MTM. I don't get why that's the criticism. Jason and Amy could have had cameos in the middle of the film instead of Fake Shemps (supposedly) at the very beginning, but didn't. They have no role in the story, and the human characters in this film look a lot more engaging.

3. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

4. ftnpro

ftnpro Member

I saw the movie yesterday at an advance screening. No spoilers from me, of course- I'm just glad that I don't have to dodge spoilers all week!

Reading the "professional" reviews shows just about every possible opinion on the spectrum. All I can say to my fellow Muppet fans is don't overthink it- go see the movie for yourselves, take along some Muppety friends, and have a great time! Sure, each of us will find something to quibble with... and we'll also find things to laugh out loud at and sing along with.

Simply put, it's great to have a MUPPET movie in theaters! Meet you back here to discuss it after Friday.

ploobis likes this.
  5. goldenstate5

6. volleygirl

volleygirl New Member

While I'm not an avid poster, I would like to give my two cents. It's only two cents, so I hope I'm not taken as more than that ;-). I LOVE everything Muppets. I will watch everything once, and really wish they would come out with the rest of the TV series!

Regardless, I have gotten the opportunity to see the MMW pre-release. I was surprised at how much I loved the new Muppet Movie. I think I loved it because of all the references to the Muppet Show. I loved the songs, how sing-able they were as well as catchy.

Without this post being extremely long, I will cut to the chase. I extremely disliked the MMW movie. I saw all the parallels to the Great Muppet Caper and other earlier movies, but I just wasn't into it. Perhaps I was jaded by the great kid movies that I had seen recently: The Lego Movie, and Frozen. I would see either of those movies 10 more times before I'd watch MMW again. And I WANTED to love the movie. But I didn't. The cameos were thrown in at EVERY chance. The storyline wasn't funny. The songs weren't catchy. I just couldn't even like the movie. I was so sad. I don't even know what else to say. I didn't expect the same caliber as the first Muppet movie, but I didn't expect such disappointment either.

I'm. so. sad.

7. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Wow....I hope that this is not something that a lot of Muppet fans say. I really want to love this movie.

muppetlover123 likes this.
  8. cahuenga

cahuenga Active Member

A person who is registered on this forum and hasnt posted anything in 7 years cant be named muppet fan..haha

Duke Remington likes this.
  9. volleygirl

volleygirl New Member

I agree. Not an avid fan on this forum. But honestly, I did want to preface it by saying that it can only be worth, at most, 2 cents. I hope I'm in the minority. If I am, I will give it one more chance. And I probably will buy the DVD to have it in my collection, but at this point, I'm not willing to watch it with so many other great options.

10. dwayne1115

Well at the same time they did join, and are still a member here. I'm just saying we should still listen to what she has to say. We can't not call her a Muppet fan just because she has not posted much on the forum.

11. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

Everybody's entitled to their opinion about ANY Muppet project. That's why it's called a "discussion forum" instead of an "everything's awesome forum." ;)

Two days before Mrs. Otter and I saw The Muppets in 2011, two longtime friends of mine posted on FB that they took their kids (aged 4-6) to see it and felt like they had to apologize to them afterwards. I got a bit of a chill down my spine but my fears dissolved about 5-10 minutes after we settled in for the movie later that weekend.

It's all subjective, friends. My own personal Muppet movie rankings (posted elsewhere on this forum) list MFS higher than MTM and MCC and nobody's threatened me with Muppaphone-like violence. (Yet.)

Let's simply be grateful for the fact that we actually have another Muppet theatrical release and each enjoy it on our own terms.

dwayne1115 and Slackbot like this.
  12. goldenstate5

Great news, as MMW has rebounded fantastically to 81% on RT: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/muppets_most_wanted/

Of course this pales in comparison to the 2011 film's 96% rating, but there was bound to be a depression since that's just how sequels work. It could've been a whole lot worse.

13. dwayne1115

Again I could honestly care less.....I have seen the movie, and as a Muppet fan, and a fan of the 2011 movie I loved this movie. I will also say that I have read some great and some not so great reviews of the movie before seeing it, and that made it a little bit more challenging to make my own opinion of the movie at first. After it set in what I was watching and how good it was I fell in love with the story, and how original and different it really was.

Steve, Eric, Dave and Mat really showcase there talent in this movie, and not just with one of there characters but all of them. The pure energy that each one of these performers in each and every shot is just amazing. To me it felt like the same energy of the Muppet Show. Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie Gonzo, Animal, Rowlf and Floyd were performed wonderfully, and a true testament to the original performers.

The first movie was suppose to "Re-introduce" the Muppets, but this movie has done a way better job with that. The Muppets where more themselves in this movie then I have seen them since the Muppet Show, and not just Kermit and Piggy, but all the main players from the Muppet Show era.

My only problem with the movie was the music.....I'm sorry it just did not do it for me like the 2011 movie did. To me the songs with the exception of the first one seemed thrown together to quickly. I mean they were OK songs, but none of them really reaches out and grabs you like "A man or a Muppet".

Other then that the movie was wonderful, and I will be seeing it again tonight! I hope everyone enjoys this movie as much as I did and will! GO MUPPETS!

LouisTheOtter likes this.
  14. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Duke Remington likes this.
  15. KingR76

KingR76 Active Member

16. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

17. Twisted Tails

Twisted Tails Well-Known Member

Yes! This film was definitely more Muppety, had some neat jokes, and the Muppets were the spotlight. I will try to go see the movie again sometime this weekend. I wanted to see it again on a weekend day like Saturday or Sunday last week, but family stuff and school got in the way.

18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

The heart of the last film would have only worked in the last film. GMC didn't have the same heart as TMM, and it was a great movie for being itself. TMM had several scenes of Kermit breaking down and doubting himself (as did TM). GMC's heart was internal Kermit/Piggy stuff. That said, saying this movie lacked heart is oblivious. It was much more subtle.

Even then, as I said somewhere else, the ONE thing that the reviews failed to take away was the fact that the film was better put together. The last movie, much as I loved it, I had a problem with general story and pacing issues. It felt like three movies that sort of intersect crushed into a 1 movie time frame. Gary, Walter, and Mary's plot could have been an entire, separate movie. And when it focuses on the Muppets, that plot line sort of still exists, but doesn't get explored at the risk of another 20 minutes of film. And, while the Mahna Mahna sequence was noble, the fact that the film gets resolved just at the end of the credits makes it feel awkward.

Meanwhile, we got a focused, concise story with 3 connected subplots (the main jewel robbery, Kermit's Gulag stay, and Sam and Jean Pierre's segment) that gave the film a consistent momentum. The editing wasn't so messed up that a huge plot key was removed that ruined the film's brick joke and resolution. By all means, a better formed film. Where's the praise for that?

19. muppet maniac

muppet maniac Well-Known Member

20. LouisTheOtter

LouisTheOtter Well-Known Member

^^See, kids? That's what happens when you don't do your homework (JHC hasn't owned the Muppets in 10 years, so the Muppets weren't part of the Chick-fil-A pull-out).

Also, when you get dropped on your head as a child... ;)

Muppet fan 123 and muppet maniac like this.