1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Muppets References in Daily Life!

Discussion in 'Friends and Family' started by GonzoLeaper, May 18, 2010.

1. GonzoLeaper

GonzoLeaper Well-Known Member

Okay, so I got inspired from this thread (http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=572), wherein lots of cool references to The Muppets from film and TV have been posted.
    But what about for all those times in life when you just randomly have a reference to The Muppets? Here's a place to list them!

For example, a while back I randomly saw someone dressed up as Elmo (the walk-around DisneyWorld style costume) as part of a parade of some sort. I so wanted to get a picture but didn't get a chance.
    But this kind of Muppet run-in or reference can be noted here.

One other thing is using Muppet movie lines in conversations. I do this sometimes (sometimes just thinking to myself or muttering it to myself when it fits the situation- of course, I do this with other things too- lol.)
    I like to quote Fozzie's "No problem" line from The Muppet Movie (in his voice, of course:o). Or maybe Baby Animal's "Yah gah yah- Go bye bye!" from Muppet Babies.:halo:
    Or one of my favorite inspirational quotes- "You hear that New York? I'm staying! The frog is staying!":)

Anyone else have some other experiences to list?
    "I brought the paper towels"- Lew Zealand in "The Great Muppet Caper"
  2. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

Does dressing up as Super Grover for Halloween this past year count? :super:

That day was just awesome. At my school, it's tradition for only seniors to dress up on Halloween. I jumped at the opportunity to be Super Grover almost immediately. On Halloween, seniors also get to go to the elementary school in-town to hang out for a few hours. All the PBS-illiterate kindergartens thought I was Elmo, some teachers thought I was Cookie Monster. Then we came up to the high school and a bunch of people were freaked out by the costume (to which I gave them all the same response: "What? Don't act like you didn't watch Sesame Street when you were a kid.") God I love that costume.
  3. Gelfling Girl

Gelfling Girl Active Member

LOL, I have found my new "home-away-from-home" thread.

Here are some "highlights" I guess they could be called, mostly the ones not said by me:

*My friend Britt and my mom comparing my band teacher's appearance to Beaker. :eek:

*Somehow our study skills class started talking about organ donors and stuff like that after somebody mentioned a type of forensics involving autopsies. I made a few "death and pestilence" comments. *insert Boober smiley here*

*In English class, for some reason, a classmate said something about a gurney, and another classmate shouted, "Ernie? Isn't he that dude off of Sesame Street?" :p

*Anybody remember that incident from The Quote Thread involving me making a few (rather disturbing) comments about how "hawt" a mummy at the museum was? ("What? I like redheads.") Well, one thing that wasn't recorded in that post was my friend Britt making some comment on Richard Hunt.

*Multiple comments between Britt and me on how we need a time machine because all the hawt guys (including Jim Henson and Richard Hunt, of course) are dead and/or old enough to be our grandparents.

*My dad said something that sounded like "something Cantus would say" so he repeated it in that voice.
  4. GonzoLeaper

Where is that Boober smiley? Ha ha- I love Boober! I also love it when Gobo tells him, "Boober! Don't be such a boober!"
    Or when all the rest of the gang tell Wembley- "Wembley! Stop wembling!" LOL.

Ha ha- cool. I've noticed you seem to have a fair share of Muppet-related incidents.:D:)
  5. GonzoLeaper

Dude- a Super Grover costume is totally awesome! How could anyone mistake him for Elmo or Cookie Monster? Well- okay, at least Cookie Monster is blue. But seriously- Elmo? He's a cute red little monster- much shorter than Grover. Grover however is the original cute monster! lol:super:
  6. Gelfling Girl

A double reference just this morning:

I was in the school hallways and I accidentally passed up my homeroom class, and I ended up questioning why I was there, followed by Beauregard's trademark "*blink*...Right." Then I paused a moment and said, in a bad impression of Sir Didymus from Labyrinth, something along the lines of "doing the chivalrous thing and walking milady to class", referring to a female friend whose homeroom class was on that side of the hall. :);):D
  7. GonzoLeaper

Ha ha- I particularly love the Beauregard quote- I would definitely quote him.
    "I'm sorry- I can only take you as far as the lobby.":D
  8. GonzoLeaper

I don't know if this counts as such, but I've been drinking the generic brand of Dr. Pepper lately. I don't care for Dr. Pepper much, so I actually prefer the generic brand because it doesn't taste quite the same to me. Anyway, I don't know if this particular brand is popular everywhere, and I'm sure it probably wasn't named for the character, but I can't help but think of The Muppet Show whenever I drink Dr. Bob!:sympathy:
    (Yep- that's the name of it. Pretty cool, huh?:))
  9. Kiki

Kiki Active Member

I was watching telly and my brother walked into the room and goes, 'what's that?; and I answered, 'it's some kind of a blind fiend...' (a Rizzo quote from MTI). It wasn't a blind fiend, I can't even remember what it was, but thankfully he got the reference. :)
  10. Gelfling Girl

My mom and I were in the car driving home, and I ended up pointing out that the time (or at least the time on the clock) was 12:34, which led to us both singing the Pinball Number Count.

:sing:1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12! Do do do do do...:sing:
  11. GonzoLeaper

Ha ha- that is awesome that both you and your mom go right into the Pinball Number Count with no hesitation.:)

As for my Muppet reference in daily life- I just ran across a pretty cool band today called "Carolina Story" (www.carolinastory.com)
    and I thought they were pretty awesome because their new album is called "When The River Met The Sea"!
    I figured it must be a reference to "Emmett Otter's Jug-Band Christmas". Cool!:)
  12. GonzoLeaper

I just love that Christmas special- and especially "When The River Meets The Sea"- Paul Williams did a great job with that song. I don't know if it's what he intended, but I can't help but think of spiritual matters when I hear the song and it makes me think of that future meeting with The Lord in Heaven one day.:)
  13. GonzoLeaper

At church Sunday evening, a friend of mine referred to two older guys as Statler and Waldorf! (I was quite excited for the random Muppets reference- and I was also querying to see which one was more like Statler and which more like Waldorf- it was funny though because I could totally see what my friend was saying. LOL):boo::sleep::)
  14. beakerboy12

beakerboy12 Well-Known Member

Recently, I went to see a production of "The Jungle Book" and I quoted the Muppets after one of the musical numbers, "Cute, cute number";)
  15. dwmckim

dwmckim Well-Known Member

I do this so frequently it's hard for me to think of examples because to me they're so commonplace. But there is one incident from several years back that sticks out in my mind just because the situation was SO perfect and there was no one around to get the reference...

I'm at a coffeeshop with a group of friends - very busy place so we're standing in line looking at the various goodies under glass. Even though none of this group were Muppet fans (at least not enough to "get it") when i looked at the various menu items and saw the bowl for canolis empty, i couldn't help but say aloud, "Sal, there are no canolis here."

Another similar incident that sticks out in my mind...the first time i went to Burger King and saw their mini burgers on the menu, i just had to ask myself aloud in my best Grover voice, "Do you want the big hamburger or the little hamburger?"

Finally though, here's an obscure Muppet reference that someone else *did* get and became an inside joke between us... some of you may know one of my all time fave Sesame sketches is "2, 3, 4 Art Gallery" (with Biff in the museum put in charge of matching the numeric painting titles with the pictures of splotches). I love it so much just because the ending is SO perfect with a masterfully delivered punch line after a brilliant set-up followed immediately by Salvador Dada breaking into a hysterical random dance with the mute security guard as Biff is left muttering to himself, "Chicken soup? What is this? Oh no..." One of my fellow Muppet Freaks from my senior year of high school eventually developed this habit where when we saw something odd that left us bewildered, we'd mutter, "Chicken soup? What is this?"

And of course, thanks to Farscape, though i never use standard fowl language, Frell and Dren have become regular parts of my vocabulary and whenever i am counting time without the aid of a watch, i inevitably am doomed to do so by counting "One Mippippippi, Tow Mippippippi..."
  16. Gelfling Girl

You have fellow Muppet Freak friends? (Outside of on here, I mean...)

In the past few weeks I have used Scooter's "Even when you know what it is, you don't know what it is," line twice, both times involving song lyrics:

The first time, one of my friends and I were competing in a "Misheard Lyrics" game, and one of the misheard lyrics was a line from the song "Louie, Louie", which is famous for having lyrics that very few people know.

The second time, I was watching The Singing Bee, and they were on the "Karaoke Challenge" part, in which a song's lyrics would be on the screen with a few words missing. The song that one contestant got was "Bennie and the Jets". (And I probably would have gotten the chorus, but the contestant didn't even get the title right.)
  17. HeyButtahfly

HeyButtahfly Well-Known Member

When I was in 5th grade we were taking a spelling test and for that particular test my teacher decided to start reading the number of the word we were on like he was The Count, voice included. In my head I can still hear him saying, "Twenty-one... Ah-ha-ha!"
  18. Katzi428

Katzi428 Well-Known Member

One of my friends from another forum posted on a board that she saw a bear in her backyard!:eek: So another one of my friends remarked "Maybe he was looking for his Studebaker." I sat here cracking up! :D because I didn't know that they had seen TMM (The Muppet Movie) So I posted back to the one that posted about the Studebaker "Great Muppet Movie reference!" The one that had the bear in her yard posted "Yeah Kathy..to quote Fozzie Bear : "Ahh.. a bear in his natural habitat..a Studebaker!"
  19. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

There is a band called Gonzo's Nose. OK, probably this is nothing new here, but... still. Whoa.

My Rocky Horror cast used to perform musical numbers before the show. One Halloween we did both "The Batty Bat" and "Rubber Duckie." It did my heart good to hear peopole singing along to Sesame Street songs.
  20. LinkiePie<3

LinkiePie<3 Well-Known Member

Fun Muppet Musical References lol!:

In my chrous class, back in 5th garde, one of the songs that we were supposed to sing was "Movin' Right Along"; We've practied it onced, but it was cut for the spring concert :(

In my orchestra class, last school year, we were practicing "Swan Lake" just for the **** of it...XD And, before the performance, my symphony orchestra teacher had mentioned about "Swine Lake" form the Muppet Show...that made my day <3 And, also in the same ole orchestra class in the beginnig of that year, I've got my own personal folder w/ sheet music (since I have'd started High School that year), and the "Muppet Show" theme was in there, and it was one of the first pieces we'd played that year...<333

Muppets are timeless <33