Must-read Joey Mazzarino interview on Tough Pigs

dwmckim

Reaction score
Since no one here seems to have mentioned it yet, i highly reccomend reading Toughpigs' current two part interview with Joey Mazzarino! There's a lot of discussion of both his work as a Muppeteer and as a longtime writer (and now head writer) of Sesame Street (among other Muppet productions).

Considering how Joey's been such an important contributor to the Muppets on and off screen, i'm really glad to see a large interview with him as there really hasn't been much out there about him previously. While i'll be the first to admit i've at times been turned off by his voice, i also know that he has an awareness of his voice and uses its more "annoying" elements to his strength (which he acknowledges in the int) and vocal qualities aside he is one of the funniest Muppeteers (and considering that ensemble that's really saying a lot)...i have a whole new respect for him as a performer and writer after reading this profile and i am so incredibly hyped about season 40 of SS now!

My only complaint is that Joey's so talented and fascinating that even as large as it was, the interview still didn't cover all the topics i would have loved to see him talk about such as his early frequent performing pairings with David Rudman and even a little about his marriage to the brilliant Kerry Butler.

Oscarfan

Reaction score
His hints at what's coming up in the new season really excite me! I can't wait to see what Marshall Grover will be doing. And I have an idea as to what the John and Kate Plus 8 parody is going to be like.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
part 1

Part 2

Oh wow! Thank for alerting us about this dwmckim! This is really amazing stuff and I gotta say that I am really an anticipation for season 40 after reading this interview!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That is a great interview! I'm also glad he explained the background of Muppets From Space's orignal ending. I don't blame him for being disillusioned, heh.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
That is a great interview! I'm also glad he explained the background of Muppets From Space's orignal ending. I don't blame him for being disillusioned, heh.
That MFS bit and his Telly info were my main focus. Great article.

I always thought it was Sony that hijacked MFS, but I guess it was initially led by Henson in their axing the first director. I believe if the script and director had really been what was originally intended that the Muppets would have already made their comeback.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I believe if the script and director had really been what was originally intended that the Muppets would have already made their comeback.
I agree, instead it ended up being a big setback overall. It's not whether you bring the Muppets back or not. It's whether you do it well. And people who think kids need to be talked down to avoid "confusion," really need to get a clue themselves, heh.

Muppet Newsgirl

Reaction score
Loved what he had to say about Richard, and how he kept the crew in stitches both on and off-camera. (And I wonder just what he said when the cameras were off?) "I want to be that guy!"

ToughPigsJoe

Reaction score
Thanks for posting about the interview, dwmckim! And thanks to everybody for reading! I'm glad you all liked it.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I tell yah, I cannot wait for Season 40, and that's over a half a year away... even longer considering they do the one rerun one new episode thing, and then they repeat the first 2 weeks over before the rest of the season.

But it's gonna be BIG, I tell yah. Plus, John and Kate plus 8 deserves to be parodied (as an avid checker of TVshowsonDVD, I'm sick of seeing super box sets of it waiting for word on something else).