My Antron

Zoot The Saxman

Reaction score
I just got my Antron fleece today, and i wanna dye it....because it's costs alot of money i don't wanna ruin it. WHAT is the best way to dye Antron...I mean All AT ONCE???? Sheets of two or three??? Washing machine??? Bath tub??? Please help this Novice.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
I actually dye mine manually in a 5 gallon bucket. I used to use the machine, but I had too many incidences where the antron got pills on it because the machine was too vigerious during the cycles.

I precut my pieces and dye one set at a time to ensure that I get good solid even color through-out the fabric. If your going to dye a bunch all at once I would opt for a larger bucket or maybe more than one and split the fabric into two or three batches. Simply follow the directions on the back of the box of dye that you use..... I use Rit. Becareful and watch your color by checking the fabric because I've found that temperature will result in different dye times for the same color. The hotter it is, the faster it sets into the fabric..... or so, thats been my experience.

Hope this helps,
-Michele

PS: I don't use salt anymore, as I've found that it doesn't make any difference in the process when I dye. You should follow the manufacturers directions though, and then set your method anyway that you feel comfortable. If your new to dying fabric or antron..... I would suggest that you dye maybe half a yard or so at first so that if you make a mistake your not damaging your entire purchase. :wink:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I would NOT dye using the washing machine method. It will ruin fleece. I dye fleece in a large flat plastic tub (I dye the fleece laying flat in the tub so the colour remain even. Be sure to cut small squares to "test" colours before you dye the whole piece (I have some photos of what I'm talking about here - just scroll down to the March 10th blog entry).

zoetrope

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
I dye the fleece laying flat in the tub
Don't you find it stains your skin?
:concern:
Just kidding. Sorry, I got the image of someone laying flat in a tub trying to dye some fleece. At least you don't climb into the washing machine and do it that way. And by the way, despite my link above, I am NOT endorsing that method for Antron. Listen to Buck, PuppetPlanet, and the other smart and experienced people here.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Yeah, I just re-read that post. Mn, jst I canont ytpe pooperly sometmes. :stick_out_tongue:

I think the dye packets recommend the washing machine method and it's OK for most fabrics, but not anything delicate or material that pills. If something shouldn't be machine washed in hot water then you probably shouldn't attempt to dye it in a machine either. When you're reading the dying instructions remember that they're just general guidelines. Most fabric stores will provide fabric care instructions (if you ask for them) when you buy material. Don't put anything in a washing machine that shouldn't be there.

It's also helpful to remember that only natural materials like cotton can be dyed. Man-made fabrics like polyester and fun fur cannot be dyed (Antron fleece is man-made but takes dye for some bizarre reason). When in doubt, check with the company that sold you the fabric and they'll tell you if it can be dyed or not.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Because pilling can occur in the dryer I usually squeeze the water out of the antron fleece and hang it to dry. Be sure to squeeze the water out of the fleece gently. Do not try to wring it.

Depending on the temperature and humidity it takes anywhere from one hour to overnight to dry.