My dog and best friend Max, 1994-2009

Bob1995

Reaction score
Max was born about a year before me, given to my Mom as a gift from my Dad. We treated him as a part of the family, and even when we got two more dogs, he remained a part of the family. He is now 15 years old, WAY past the normal lifetime most dogs have. However, he hasn't aged gracefully. He lives his days with a massive tumor on his side. He can't walk more than two steps without falling. And Max slowly becomes weaker and filled with pain(indicated by excessive panting). And now... *gulp*... my parents want to put him down AKA end his life. His last day is Monday. We will all dearly miss him.

OK, this is getting depressing. I know a lot of people have had or having this experiance. Did you have a pet that was in your life a long time, but you had to end it's life for similar or different reasons?

vaati64

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about your dog. My mom had a similar experience. Before I was really old enough to remember stuff, and even going as far back as before I was born, my dad got my mom a cocker spaniel, names Nickie, or snickie as they called her. Snickie, unfortunately, got old and sick, so we had to put her down. I don't remember any of this, but sppossedly, I said "bye bye doggy" just before they took her in.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I'm so sorry about your dog. I do know how it feels, it's hard because pets are so innocent and you hate to see them suffering. But to have to plan the day you'll lose them is even more difficult. I pray for your family in this difficult time, but remember your dog got to have a good life with a caring family. That's what's important. :smile:

bazooka_beak

Reaction score
I'm sorry :frown: I know how you feel. My very first dog was given to my parents before I was born, and he was around until I was about 10 or 11, then he was so old and in so much pain he had to be put to sleep (although I wasn't told that's what would happen at the time). I miss him.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear about Max, I know how hard and sad it is to put a beloved pet down like that, as my precious bunny Tommie, whom I had for nearly six years, while she was nearly seven, had to be put down two weeks ago; she was just so eat up with tumors inside her lungs, and in so much pain, that the ultimatum (giving her medication, and trying to keep her as comfortable as possible) wasn't even an option, she was just suffering so bad.

To this day, I'm still missing her terribly; sometimes I walk out onto our apartment balcony, and just the sight of her empty cage is enough to bring my down to the dumps.

One thing as a memorial though, the vets took the liberty of having Tommie's paw prints set in a heart-shaped slab of clay that baked up nicely; maybe your vets will do that with Max for you.

Colbynfriends

Reaction score
I'm so sorry to hear that. I know kinda how it feels. My family had a maltese dog named Precious that had to be put down because she had kidney trouble. The only thing worse, is we got her less a year earlier, and the person who gave her to us said she was healthy. Her kidneys started acting up about five months after we got her.

Xerus

Reaction score
I'm sorry that's happened to you. -_-;; I've had two dogs in my life who had died of old age. I miss them a lot and hope they're happier in Heaven.

OLumeVaSti

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that. It is always difficult when you loose a pet. I've been through it a lot so I know where you are coming from. I would just enjoy the time you have left him and make his last few days as pleasant as you can for him. It is difficult but, I believe deep down that it is the right thing to do even though it is hard to do. I am know it is corny to say but, remember the better times.

Bob1995

Reaction score
My parent's plan to euthenize(can't spell anything right) Max shook up the family to the worst extent, especially my sister Anna, who dreads the day (tommarow) that my parents scheduled Max to bite the dust. However, we already set up plans to remember him. we'll be making a plaque with his pawprint embedded in it tonight. After he dies and is cremated, we will plant a tree with a portion of his ashes buried with the tree seed, with the plaque underneath the tree. He may be dying, but we want to remember him.

Nick22

Reaction score
i'm rully sorry. i almost cried reading the whole thread. no joke. i've only had one pet my whole life (a cat named smokey) who ran away about a year ago. it wasnt that upsetting, cause we hadnt even had him very long.

i'll pray for you and your family. i wish you guys the best.