My favorite aunt/godmother passed away

Katzi428

Reaction score
I found out last night that my favorite aunt/godmother passed away.:cry: She'd been having horrible headaches a good part of yesterday.So last night when my stepuncle was taking her to the hospital she had a seizure in the car .Luckily by then they were at the ER. They found an aneurysm (blood clot) in her. But by then it was too late. She was already gone.:cry: I've been absolutely miserable since then needless to say.
She was one heck of a special lady! I was named after her so I feel lucky with that. She had an incredible sense of humor! I'd be laughing SO much on the phone when talking to her! And she loved to play Scrabble! She had a Bachelors' Degree in English so (naturally) she'd beat my butt at Scrabble most times. But did I care? NO! We had fun playing! When I found out that I was going to be a godmother to my niece (who's now 4 1/2) the first person I called was my Aunt Kathy (since she's my godmother) I said to her "Do you still have your fairy godmother wand?" At first she didn't get it. So I said it again and stressed "godmother" She was THRILLED for me! When my family were up in NY for my niece's christening I had said to my mom that it was to bad that Aunt Kathy couldn't be up there. Well surprise on ME!Who do I see on the day of the christening but my Aunt Kathy & my stepuncle!:excited: My whole family had me tricked! My brother & sister in law had said they were giving up their bed to my sister in law's cousins!
She was a beautiful singer.She sang at my older brother's first wedding. I had hoped she would sing at my wedding one day, but she gave up singing at weddings I'd say about 10 years ago. She lived in Southern FL. for a while & a couple of years ago I went down to visit her & my stepuncle. There was karaoke 1 night.So I decided to give it a shot. I did "Hopelessly Devoted To You" from "Grease" & did fine with that. I decided to be brave & try a 2nd song:"When I Fall In Love" . Unfortunately I was messing up on that BIG time!:embarrassed: THANKFULLY Aunt Kathy comes running , saves my sorry butt & helps me! (No MCers that are on FB.....pictures of it are NOT on there! The one on the cruise where my SISTER saved my sorry butt are on there!)
But anyway.....this morning I was crying & angry because I was wondering WHY her! (I'm sorry if this sounds immature) I thought of that episode of Sesame Street where Mr. Hooper died & Big Bird was angry & wondering why. Gordon said "Just because." (Yeah...I know I was a teenager when it aired. But also remember that I have siblings 10 & 12 years younger than me.) The old "Just because." reason doesn't really fly with me. Sorry. My mother said "Maybe God needed Aunt Kathy up there for a special reason." One theory I had was (as I mentioned my aunt had abeautiful voice) God needed an extra angel for his choir. No idea. Can you all think good thoughts for me & my family please? (And I could use some hugs too for those that want to spare any)

Gonzo's Hobbit

Reaction score
Oh Kathy I'm so sorry
*hugs*
I wish I could hug you for real. Over the internet seems woefully inadequate. I'm praying for you too. Hope that helps some.

Katzi428

Reaction score
Thanks Linkie & GH (((((hugs back)))) And GH .....just hugging me over the Internet isn't inadequate. In situations like this, it's just fine. Thanks for keeping me in your prayers. I appreciate it. *attempted smile*

Katzi428

Reaction score
I want to PUBLICLY thank Linkie Pie & Gonzo's Hobbit for the sympathy posts for my aunt's passing. It was very kind of the 2 of you. I also heard from newsmanfan via Email.
As for the rest of you who are my friends (or so I thought), I'm quite hurt:frown:. I've been a member of Muppet Central since it began over 10 years ago & I thought I'd get some sympathy with my aunt passing away. It just occurred to me that I got more sympathy with my cat passing away last month than with my aunt passing away a couple of days ago! YES it was sudden that my aunt passed away but that's what makes it hurt all the more! She meant MORE to me than you'll ever know! Back in 2005 when my dad passed away the posts of sympathy meant SO much to me; I'm grateful for that.
I really really thought we were supposed to be like a family.:cry:

newsmanfan

Reaction score
------------------------
Sometimes even family is caught up in their own lives, Kathy...I don't know the circumstances surrounding what surely feels like inexplicable silence here to you, but please don't take a lack of posting to mean nobody cares. A lot of people will view threads and not post...and in this case it may be simply that they have no idea what to say. "I'm sorry" feels SO inadequate in situations like this.

Consider this a big bouquet of white lilies. :sympathy: And as to "just because"...honestly, we still know so little about the human brain. A more accurate answer would be "we don't know WHY, but sometimes it happens like that, and hopefully one day we'll be able to screen for it or even prevent it." Yeah, it sucks. It deeply does. But rather than seek a moral justification for such an awful loss, perhaps it might help to celebrate what time you did have with her. I'm all for wakes, not funerals. We don't mourn for the dead...we mourn for us, the still-here-unable-to-perceive-souls-gone-on-ahead. And despite my lack of religion I DO believe souls go on. The spirit is unquenchable, and there must be so much out there for a soul freed of this sack of chemicals to explore, to see, to experience!

I am positive your aunt is checking in on you. Energy is never destroyed...just changed. We'll all get there soon enough...human life is so transient! I know in the fury of your grief this must sound like a platitude; it's not, not at all. Does it suck that you'll never have another wonderful moment with your aunt in this sphere of reality? Absolutely. But I have zero doubts that she's still concerned with you very much, still loves you, and that you'll meet again some sunny day, as the song goes.

Please try to dry your tears, and celebrate her at her memorial. Everything passes, everything changes, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing, right? (hopeful smile at ya)

It gets better.
-----------------------------

Frogpuppeteer

Reaction score
going to have to agree with newsie...when i first looked at this thread i didnt know what to say...my heart goes out to you in this time of sorrow

Katzi428

Reaction score
I apologize.:embarrassed: I shouldn't have sounded so harsh. Of course everyone cares. The world doesn't stop turning because my aunt passed away. Everyone has their own lives both here & outside of here. For all I know,some of you could be going through problems of your own Offline & when you read about what happened with me,it might have seemed minor. Please forgive me?
On Facebook, a memorial page was posted in her honor. I was one of the first ones to post it. For my *GULP!*40th birthday she contacted Jim Davis (Garfield's artist) about me & all the trials & tribulations I'd been through healthwise in my life & asked if he could autograph a comic strip for me for my birthday.Well he did just that! So on the memorial page for my aunt I posted the pictures AND the story! I'll ALWAYS remember her for that as well as little inside jokes between us. This one really an inside joke but kind of like a goof on her. She was a VERY popular teacher in Lawrence KS. & when I visited her in 1992, we were ALWAYS running into former students of hers.So one afternoon a senior citizen "bag boy" was helping us with our groceries & being super friendly.After we got in the car, I joked with my aunt,"Former student of yours?" :wink: She got a good laugh out of that.(The man was old enough to be my grandfather!) But she had a good sense of humor.

Muppet fan 123

Reaction score
This is of course very sad.
But we all go through dark times, but we can't let these dark times stop us.
Take this as an opportunity to appreciate things in life more.
Just Keep Moving Foward.
Life's A Happy Song, Enjoy the lyrics

Puckrox

Reaction score
I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like she was an amazing woman. I went through a pretty similar experience as you, actually. Several years ago I lost my mother to an aneurysm as well, and like your aunt she was also an English major with an excellent sense of humor. So I know how much this hurts, and for that I cannot offer my sympathies enough.

I know there's nothing anyone can really say to make the pain go away. Just know that we all care about you, and we're all here if you ever need to talk. Especially me. If you ever need to talk to someone who's been there, my message box is always open. Just like everyone else who said it before me, my heart goes out to you.