My first ever puppet!

Lizzie's Lair

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
I'm new to this site so hopefully I'm posting in the right place.
I have my own business creating mythical creatures and cloth dolls. I have always wanted to take my designs that step further and incorporate movable mouths etc and this week, I finally did it! I am desperate for some advice though if you can spare the time.

I live in Australia and couldn't source Antron Fleece. Is anyone able to advise a good place to purchase this online? I ended up making my puppet from fur which was costly and which I am now finding in places fur shouldn't be...:eek:
I created my own pattern because I was too impatient to order one online! Therefore, I have no idea if what I've done is right or not. I created a body like I would for my creatures with joints at the legs and a wooden skeleton (for the lower half/limbs only). The head is made from reticulated foam but I couldn't get it to stick with the suggested glues so I hand sewed each piece in place. I used plywood to create the mouth in addition to the foam. The eyes I made by cutting polystyrene balls in half, shaping, covering in felt and then used large craft eyes to create the pupil. Does all of this sound wrong to you guys? Any idea where I can purchase a really good pattern and professional puppet eyes?
Lastly, I'm such a sucker for proportion, so my intended smallish puppet now sits at 135cms in height!:crazy: It works well as he sits in my lap and his feet touch the floor too but obviously I have some issues with proportioning my patterns!

I would appreciate any guidance you could give. I suppose the next step now is working out a routine we can practice and what I can improve on for my next puppet!

Thanks!

Lizzie's Lair

Reaction score
Sorry, I should probably mention I'll post some pics in a couple of days. Just need to work out how...

Goochman

Reaction score
there are a few places online to get Antron, but I'm not sure if any of them ship internationally.

You could contact Jarrod Boucher, he's in Australia and uses Antron. I'm sure he could point you in the right direction.

http://jbpuppets.blogspot.com/

The Shoe Fairy

Reaction score
Professional eyes are a DIY deal, if you aren't using straight out glass eyes or taxidermy eyes. Painting the backs of plastic spoons and halved spherical shapes, like Christmas baubles often work. Several coats of white spray paint should do the trick for most projects.

Lizzie's Lair

Reaction score
Thanks for the awesome advice guys. Can't wait to get started on the next one. My only real disappointment is that it turns out I'm an uber crappy performer...!