My first Muppet... Kermit!

Animal31

Reaction score
That looks amazing, well done. To answer your question, I would use 30mm doll joints. It's noticable in some pics of Kermit, you'll see the arms seem to overlap themselves on the top, not really totally flush with the body....

What did you use for a pattern on the body?

callmemilo

Reaction score
I guess it depends on which Kermit you look at, but from the pics I've seen, it's an almost completely flush join.

As for the body pattern, I looked at a few other people's patterns and resulting puppets and made my own from what I'd learned also made my own collar pattern. In fact, I don't know if there's a single piece I've not modified in some way. I've had a good deal of trial and error to get to where I am though. The body pattern I ended up using is from the 2nd one I'd drawn out.

My Kermit's got a 24cm collar, so each of the 4 body panels is 6cm wide at the neck. It's somewhat pear-shaped, and leads straight into the sleeve. With a little guess work and eyeballing, I decided the belly would be about 52cm in circumference, so the widest part across each of the panels is 13cm.

Melonpool

Reaction score
Use flat white on the eyes, if possible. They'll look glossy in the photos, but they won't glare back off the flash. You should be able to attach the arms with a whip stitch. Just make sure they're exactly where you want them when you sew them -- they have a tendency for one to get higher as you work.

callmemilo

Reaction score
Kermit's finally finished, and he looks fantastic! There's a few small details I'd change if I ever make this again, but I'm really happy with how he's turned out. Already got a few great reactions from family and friends. I'd love to give him legs, but for now, I'm more than happy with how he's turned out. :smile:

muppetperson

Reaction score
TheCreatureWork, thanks for the Henson Stitch video link.Now that I finally know how it is done, I can see that it was designed to sew a puppet without having to turn the puppet inside out, which could take a bit of getting used to! So can it be applied if you wanted to sew something back to back, rather than side to side?

Walter

Reaction score
Great Job! That's the best Kermit puppet I've ever seen!