My first Muppet... Kermit!

callmemilo

Reaction score
Since making Kermit, I noticed I was having a major problem with the eyes. Maybe it was the hot glue adding weight to the ping pong balls, but the weight of the eyes made it difficult to keep them floating symmetrically. I've since fixed the problem by cutting a thin panel of upholstery foam as an inlay to the front of the face. This fills out and smooths the top of the head enough so that the eyes sit a little more comfortably on the puppet. This should help him look alot better in photos too, which is great as I'm taking Kermit out for his Debut at MCM Expo in London at the end of the month, and the folks there LOVE taking photos, lol.

callmemilo

Reaction score
This weekend, I took Kermit out for his first appearance, at MCM Expo in London. I'm looking forward to finding more photos but here's what I've unearthed so far. :smile:

callmemilo

Reaction score
Kermit posing with a couple of Cats costumers (Alice and Daniela) at MCM Expo. And yeah, I'm totally sporting the Fozzie tee. :stick_out_tongue:

Reaction score
Is that just normal fleece, or Antron? I'm busting my butt with normal anti-pill fleece tring to blend the seams and it's just not happening. Close, but not perfect. Any suggestions?

callmemilo

Reaction score
All I can tell you is what I did. It's a skill that takes a lil patience and getting used to, but what you have to do is take a needle (preferably a nice sharp sewing needle) or pin, and free the fibres from the seam by plucking them up. I come at them from the side rather than on top. And I try to do it in 2-3 inch lengths, doing either side of the seam individually. Then when all the fibres are loose, I fluff it about with my finger til it looks right.

callmemilo

Reaction score
Did you machine stitch any part of him, or was everything hand sewn?
The whole thing's handsewn. In hindsight, probably not necessary to do it ALL that way, but it certainly gave me a better appreciation for the craftsmanship that went into bringing those characters to life.

DannyRWW

Reaction score
I always get jealous when I see puppets other people make. I love performing but have never grasped the finer points of sewing. Always have to buy my puppets sadly. Anyways awesome work. I love your kermit puppet. It is really amazing.