1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

My Fozzie Replica (First Attempt)

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by scandell, Sep 12, 2012.

1. TheCreatureWork

TheCreatureWork Active Member

I usually run the boning horizontally- Terry Angus told me sometimes they "spiral" the boning inside the body.
  2. Plaid Fraggle

Plaid Fraggle Well-Known Member

Dude I've just got to say, he's spectacular. No other words for it!
  3. scandell

scandell Member

Ok. Horizontal Boning....so I still use foam though right? It's not just boning sewn to the inside of the fur fabric right?
  4. scandell

scandell Member

yes foam no foam? please respond knowledgable ones.
  5. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

Six of one, half dozen of the other. I'd say that you could use whatever works best. I'd at least use 3-4 rings of boning to make a series of hoops (like in a hoop skirt) to fill out his body -- something like am 11 inch hoop at the neck, a 14 inch at the chest, 24 at the belly and 18 at the waist. That's just a guess. Adjust as necessary.
  6. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

And you can do it either way. If you look at the dance number in the El Sleezo Cafe in The Muppet Movie, it looks like Fozzie has no stuffing in his body -- they may have built different version depending on the effect they were trying to do, but I'd say he was all boning in that instance, just from the way he moves in the full body shots on the stage.
  7. SuperGzilla12

SuperGzilla12 Active Member

Your first attempt?

You, sir, are amazing! :D
  8. scandell

scandell Member

If you guys had to guess...what is the width of a fozzie's mouthplate? Or Rowlf's for that matter? My fozzie turned out way bigger than I wish...back to the drawing board. :)
  9. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

From the red area, it is 16cm or 6 1/4 " from edge to edge.But I think the mouth plate is a bit wider and goes into the fur area as well.Feels like it would be 20cm total across or 8 inches.
  10. scandell

scandell Member

Excellent!! Thanks so much! Mine is currently 8+ inches! He is massive!!! ;)

Is this 6.25 measurement taken from your actual fozzie muppet!!?? If so thanks so much!!! Did we find out if your muppet was actually used as a puppet or was it strictly used for still photo work?
  11. scandell

scandell Member

While I have your ear Peter...any estimate on the distance of the gap between his upper and lower mouth plate? In other words, how much fabric is loose at the back of his throat? 1 inch? 2 inches?
  12. muppetperson

Yes,it is measured from my actual Fozzie.A Muppet builder told me in most cases, the Photo puppets are made from former working puppets, but I havent been able to recognise him as a puppet.Before he was restored, I was able to put my hand in his head and work him like a puppet.To answer your second question, I couldnt feel any loose material inside his mouth.The head has now been re stuffed and sewn back to his body.
  13. scandell

scandell Member

By fabric...I mean...how big was the gap between his upper mouth plate and his lower mouth plate? How loose was his jaw? Was it a tight hinge? Or was the gap rather large?
  14. muppetperson

His mouth could close completely-there was no gap.I could open and close his mouth easily.
  15. FrackleFan2012

FrackleFan2012 Well-Known Member

Wow! I love it!
    You are so amazing at this!
  16. scandell

scandell Member

Hey Peter, can I get a rough estimate of the width and height of the plastic eyes? I have to vaccum form some new ones. I will send you a pair if you get me these dimensions! :)
  17. WhoBuddieZ

WhoBuddieZ New Member

Instead of boning….you can buy plastic tubing for an ice maker….it's pretty cheap and you can cut it to size easily. As far as patterns go….when I first started building puppets…I found it extremely frustrating that there were so little patterns available. I even contacted a couple of really good puppet builders hoping for advise, or…better yet…some patterns. No luck. I did an *** load of research and I too modify project puppet patterns. Maybe we as a puppet building community should consolidate our resources and help each other out instead of making it so difficult to start building. If you're good…you're good…if you're not… you're not…no biggie…I'll help with whatever I can...
  18. scandell

scandell Member

I have to admit I agree with your sentiment. And not just because I like your work and want your pattern :)
    I showed hesitation to share exact patterns because I feared potential legal consequences. I heard Disney can be rough on us little guys in this regards.

Fozzie head 2.0 is almost done! Stay tuned!

Btw, I stumbled upon the tubing tip online somewhere already! It works great! And is so light!
  19. muppetperson

Sorry, just seen your post now.The width of the eyes are 4 1/2 cm by 5 cm high.They are like plastic table spoons, but they are too bulgey.
  20. scandell

scandell Member

Really!!? That's practically round! I would have guessed his eyes were more oblong