My Missing Muppet Records

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
:cry: :frown: Growing up my record collection (and for those of you saying, "What are rec-ords?" they look like oversized CDs that are black and were played using a needle....) was mainly Muppets. In fact my first record was the Muppet Babies. I then got the Favorite Songs of Jim Henson's Muppets, a two record set with a poster of Jim with the Muppets, TMTM soundtrack, Miss Piggy's Aerobic Exercise album with poster, and the 1976 rerelease of the Frog Prince soundtrack. I also had Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids and some others. But mainly our family's record collection was my mom's records of Barry Manilow and religious music. My sister had an Alice in Wonderland record in there too that she loved listening too. Anyway, being older, we moved on to CDs and such but every so often my sister and I will pulll out the records and listen to them. In the past couple days my sister had been looking for the records. I told her they were in the storage room because that's where everything that is not in frequent use is. So yesterday she wason a mission to find them. And it shouldn't have been hard because a couple months ago I put them on top of everything. I was at a friend's house all evening. I called home to ask about something and my sister answered with a heavy-handed, "What?!" I said, "What is with the attitude?" She says, her voice cracking, "You will not believe what Mom has done. She took all the records to the DI." (DI stands for Deseret Industries, it's like the Salvation Army.) !!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!

This collection also included Vicki Lawrence's album with the best version of "Midnight Train to Georgia", AND the Milli Vanilli record in mint condition that everyone mailed back to the record company for a refund.

My sister told me that Mom had taken them to the DI about a month ago just
before we had a wedding shower for our cousin. I spoke to my mother.
She said she figured we never listened to them anymore. I asked her why it
wasn't possible for her to say, "Hey, I'm wanting to get rid of the records
and I want to know if you want to keep any of them." She said she just
thought they were in the way....

I chalk this all up to her neurosis about cleaning the house. She grew up in a cluttered house. When we were cleaning out her parents house after they died she was throwing away EVERYTHING until her siblings caught wind of it.....I'm so upset about the loss of those Muppet Records and the Fat Albert record....my sister was actually in tears. I would just go to the DI and buy them back but when you donate to the DI they send the stuff to a central location and then distribute it to their stores all over........I'm absolutely sick.......luckily for me, I had taken my two Paula records out of there....

Klonoa

Reaction score
Aw that's too bad. I only had two Muppet records but I don't have them anymore. The ones I had were the soundtrack to the Muppet Movie and some Sesame Street disco record.

I don't have those anymore, but I did save some other records. One was Pac-Man Fever (http://www.bucknergarcia.com/), one was a Pac-Man Christmas album (notice a theme here?) and I think I still have my Alvin and the Chipmunks Christmas album.

And that's all I have. Don't think I have anything to play them on, though.

--Klonoa

Don'tLiveonMoon

Reaction score
Arghhhh!!!!! :grouchy: I feel your pain. A few years ago my mom went in on a garage sale with my aunt, and I went through my room with her and approved everything she could take with her, which wasn't much. But I was really busy with school and wasn't paying huge attention to everything she did, so I discovered a couple days later she had taken my whole collection of McDonald's toys and Dr. Seuss, Weekly Reader and Disney books and put them in the garage sale. She did leave behind the Winnie-the-Pooh books, but nothing else. I don't know how neither of us noticed it beforehand, but Nathan and I were furious. I can't believe she did that, especially after seeing how upset we were after she let my other brother pitch dozens of videos' worth of things I had taped over the years while I was out of town. :grouchy:
Erin

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about that loss, its any muppet fans nightmare. most of those albums I would kill to have! There is a good chance you will be able to get your records back on ebay, they wont be the same ones you had but they will be the same albums. Or they could be the same ones if someone has bought yours to sell on ebay!

This story reminds me of when we moved from another state my Mum packed up all her antique dolls and bears and put the good ones in plastic bags to put in the car because they were too precious to go in the removal truck. My Dad mistakenly took the bags to the tip (dump) and my Mum went back and she even found the bags they were in, someone had gone through them. They have licenced scavengers at the place in which they scavenge through rubbish to sell in the shop. She asked them and they said they hadnt seen them. (probably lying) She even offered triple figure rewards since they were worth thousands of dollars and even included some of her childhood dolls. She lost almost her entire collection, or just the good stuff which took her years to get. It makes me so angry thinking about this. She was so upset and so was I. She now has a good collection again though.

Good luck will come to you from your loss since its happened also to my Mum. People have given her dolls that they were throwing out that are antiques and very rare. I even found an antique doll made in England before the war in a junk shop for virtually nothing (10cents) and its worth hundreds of dollars. It went straight into her collection though.

Its any collectors nightmare to lose special items.

Dr. Bombay

Reaction score
The worst part is this is so unlike my mother to do something like that. Normally she would say she was wanting to get rid of something and ask if we wanted it. And she knows I love the Muppets. But she just keeps saying that she didn't figure we listened to them anymore. Even if we didn't listen to them they are still part of our collection....I found that she did it over a month ago actually so there is little chance I'll get them back. I tried to go to the place where she dropped them off but they were all ready closed for the evening.

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that has a parent who makes mistakes like that.