My own Animal Replica

ashkent

Reaction score
As a fan of the Muppets since childhood, as I grew older and began collecting memorabilia - models, statues, busts - of various things, not just Muppets, I found one thing frustrating me for around a decade. The fact that I could not get replica of Animal that was a) true to all of the variations there have been of Animal over the years - from the very pink and fluffy original, to the less hairy and somewhat elongated version used in the upcoming Muppet movie - b) could actually be used as a puppet and not just sit there, and c) not cost so much I needed to take out a new mortgage to buy it.

I know many people have said how they like the MR Animal, but for me, there is still something lacking in it that I can't quite put my finger on but basically it is not my Animal. I think when anyone is asked to think of Animal in particular, everyone thinks of the version they first saw.

So with all that in mind, I set out with two doxen Animal images, a few YouTube and DVD clips, and materials costing around £60 including 1/2 inch foam, over 7000 individual spines from Ostrich feathers, some felt, some craft foam, stuffing and a red sponge ball. Oh, and a couple of clear balls that come in two halves and are usually used to make decorative Christmas baubles.

I should point out that I had never made a puppet before. This was the ultimate baptism of fire. Creating a near accurate replica of one of the most iconic Muppet's to have come from Jim Henson's brilliant mind and actually do it justice. All I will say is, it has taken two months and has been one of the biggest but most worthwhile challenges of my life.

Once I sort them, I will post some of the major stages of the creation of my replica of Animal, and I have to say I am happier with the end result that I ever thought I would be. I hope you like it, and until I get the others posted, here is a teaser of the finished replica.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h461/ashkent7/DSCF9074.jpg

Reevz1977

Reaction score
Gotta say, from when you have shown, THIS... LOOKS... AWESOME! ! !

ashkent

Reaction score
Thanks. There were plenty of times I thought it was going to go down the pan. I'll have the rest of the pictures up to the completion of the head up later on.

ashkent

Reaction score
Just worked out how to get the actual photos into the post rather than the link. I'm not reposting all of them, but anyone wanting to just take a passing glace, I'll post a couple shortly as I've realigned the eyes because when i looked at the photos they were a little out - although oddly enough it showed a lot more on photos than when i was just looking at it.