My Own personal Jim Henson story.

DeadZone

Reaction score
Forgive me if this is in the wrong place, but I just really felt like sharing it:

Picture it, May of 1990

I, Dane, a lad of just 5 years of age, was in a little drama group that ran out of my church from May to August.

It seemed like any other meeting for me and the rest of my fellow 5 and 6 year old bretheren, though something seemed wrong with our "drama/acting teacher" Miss. Anne (as we liked to call her.) She seemed a bit saddened, not her usual cheery self.

After our usual warm up exercises, rather then get into our first activity, Miss. Anne gathered us kids around in a circle and sat in the middle of it and asked us point blank if we knew who The Muppets were. Luckily, all of us kids, who were good friends, had indeed watched the three muppet movies, the Muppet Show on re-runs, and The Muppet Babies, so we were well aware of who they were. It was at this point that Miss. Anne talked about what had her a bit sad today. Even today, I still remember her exact words:

"Jim Henson....he's the man who created all of The Muppets.....well dears, I'm sad to say he's gone now...He's passed away..."

Now naturally, us kids were all a bit naieve (sp?) to the concept of death, so at first we didn't know what to make of it, but once she explained it more, we were all quite saddened, though Miss. Anne, R.I.P, told us that rather then be sad, we should concentrate on all of the wonderful things Jim had given us. Thus, from that day on, till the end of the "semester", every session was dedicated to Jim.

This was something that I always kept with me and always talked about with her, Anne Maldino, when I visited her from time to time up until her death from cancer in 2002.

A bit corny, yes, but I felt all of you would appreciate it. Cheers everyone.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
That was a nice little story, thanks for sharing, and welcome to the board!

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
Oh my goodness; this was just the right place to put this story! That is amazing, a little sad and a little happy, that you remember it all so exactly. It's nice of course that your teacher was, for want of a better term, "hip" to the muppets, and that you two maintained a close relationship for the rest of her life.
And yes, welcome to the boards! Hope to see you around often!

Skye

Reaction score
I don't think anything about your story was corny at all. I thought it really nice! A bit sad as well, but really nice. And wonderful advice that Miss Anne gave you all. Thank you for sharing your story.

I agree... welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy yourself here.

DeadZone

Reaction score
Well, truth be told, Miss. Anne claimed to me in my teenage years (around 1997-1998 to be exact) that she had chatted with Jim on one occasion during filming of one of the Muppet movies (though which one it was I am not sure and how the circumstances came about I do not know either.)

Beyond that, she was just a avid fan of her work, and also knew a few people (no one major, according to her) that worked with Jim in his early years (though, as I had, her contact with him was limited to this one meeting during one of the movies being filmed.)

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Thank you for sharing that story woth al of us. That was really nice of you.

Vic Romano

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, it's always so heart warming to hear how much others loved Jim. Great story.

BEAR

Reaction score
Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it with us.

theprawncracker

Reaction score
Very touching. I always love hearing how far Jim's loving arms reached. :smile: