My Rant: Erics Performing

Beauregard

Reaction score
I'd jump on the bandwagon, but I think it would probably get so crowded that someone would undoubtably fall off and...uch, court cases. So! I'll just ride a pony along beside the wagon, and say that I am with Eric 100% of the way.

People are always compareing Eric to Frank, or Steve to Jim...but what needs to be compaired is Piggy to Piggy, Fozzie to Fozzie, Kermit to Kermit. Is their heart the same? Are their reactions similar? Do they move, resound, resonate as the people they are supposed to be? That is the most important thing.

And scripts, people. Remember we cannot blame some of the things coming out of their mouthes, on the people speaking the lines. They speak the party-piece. If Steve's Kermit denies the wedding, then that's probably not Steve's decision. If Eric's Piggy endorses the name "Ms Miss Piggy" he probably didn't come up with that himself.

Thank goodness that we have people like Steve, Eric, Jim Lewis, and Dave G. to keep the Muppets always moving on, going forward, and not simply looking back.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I must admit it irks me when non-fans remark that they know somebody that does a better Kermit voice etc. I think Steve does a great job - and not just any person can puppeteer and not just any puppeteer can perform an icon of Kermit's stature.:smile:

I still find it funny that when NBC's Muppet Christmas Special aired a few years ago - the Entertainment Weekly critic published how he enjoyed Frank Oz' top-form return. LOL! Eric should be proud! :embarrassed:

MelissaY1

Reaction score
Yeah I do think it's unfair to judge the performers. As long as the personalities are there, I can live with slightly different voices. I personally they have both done a good job. :smile: My main worries are usually with the writing and the updating to fit "modern times", which are often not beneficial.
I agree. I think that's the most weakest thing with the Muppet material these days: the writing for the characters. I know we lost Jerry Juhl in recent years, etc. but surely the folks at Henson can find some fine writers with the exception of a few good ones they still have like Jim Martin, Craig Shemin, etc.

a_Mickey_Muppet

Reaction score
I still find it funny that when NBC's Muppet Christmas Special aired a few years ago - the Entertainment Weekly critic published how he enjoyed Frank Oz' top-form return. LOL! Eric should be proud! :embarrassed:
hey I remember reading that! :smile: GO ERIC & STEVE-O! :wink:

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
Eric is actually a decent performer. I must admit I was a critic towards the poor fellow. I think his impression is not terrible in fact he has improved alot. That is all that matters. Steve's voice was kind of different from Jim's but by common sense--no one will ever have an exact voice. It'd be silly. Though their voices are something to love. Without them there would not be a performer for the most important characters--and well....that'd be downright terrible! So it is good to treasure the ones we have criticized. Usually I am a positive person so--he really is a great performer. He can act...

*COUGH* ASHANTI *COUGH*

Ok...critique on her there. Sorry sorry. : D She is a wonderful singer though but to go back on topic...

I agree Barry! :big_grin: Well done for standing up to some of us critcs. ME in particular.

: )

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know, it's not so much being against Steve and Eric as much as it is not having Jim and Frank anymore. But I agree with you that those tow are doing a bang up job with there respective characters and performance.:smile:

MrsPepper

Reaction score
Amen to that, Barry Lee! And everyone else who agrees with him.

People have to stop picking on them. If it wasn't for their hard work, there wouldn't be any more muppets! Jim is gone and Frank is retired from puppeteering so he can make awesome movies. So if there are going to be any more muppets, someone has to take their place. And they are big shoes to fill, definately, especially since their characters are close to everyone's heart (not just crazy fans like us, but everyone who grew up with SS or watched The Muppet Show). They aren't going to do the characters the exact same way, because what fun is that for them? They have to take things like the voice, the mannerisms, and the sense of humour, and make it work for them. And I think that both of them are completely spectacular at that.

Case in point: It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. It's really cute and hilarious, and they both do an amazing job with Fozzie and Kermit!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Case in point: It's a Very Merry Muppet Christmas Movie. It's really cute and hilarious, and they both do an amazing job with Fozzie and Kermit!
Yeah while I thought VMMCM had problems with it's humor, I was really impressed with the job they did with Fozzie and Kermit. I wasn't even thinking about it, it was nearly normal. :smile: