Name questions

Thijs

Reaction score
Hi all, I have some skits in dutch, with characters of whom I don't know the name:

1 A SS news segment: Kermit visits the very first school on their very first schoolday. The teacher and three of the children have names. What are those names?

2 A skit about racism with Elmo, two blue male monsters and two blue female monsters. The monsters play rub-a-ball or something, and Elmo is not allowed to play along, because he is red. The two girls have names, what are their names?

if anyone could help me out, thanks!

BipBippadotta

Reaction score
How old is this sketch? Elmo isn't that old are you sure this is a classic sketch?

Anyway, excuse me for being a pain about rules but I have two questions myself about names. How did they come up with the name of Bip Bippadotta (my belief is that his name sounds like a substitute lyric in Mahna Mahna) and who named him. My other question is what are the names of the Muppets aside from him in Air and Fat Cat Sat Hat (recurring Muppets do you think)?

Daffyfan4ever

Reaction score
BipBippadotta said:
How old is this sketch? Elmo isn't that old are you sure this is a classic sketch?
I really don't know the answer to your questions, but I just want to point something out. Elmo is actually older than people think. Sure he didn't get popular until recently. Also, many years ago, he was performed by other puppateers before Kevin (Brian and Richard). I believe the puppet dates back to the 70s, so it could very well be a classic sketch. Unfortunately, I don't remember it so I can't really make a comment here.

I do remember a golden book from the 80s called "No Red Monsters Allowed" where Herry and his cousin wouldn't allow Elmo in their clubhouse since he was a red monster and the other two were blue. I don't know if that info would help any, but I thought I'd point that out.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
baby monster

The Elmo puppet was first created in either season 2 or 3, where he was called baby Monster and was performed by Carroll Spinney. Eventually, baby Monster stopped making appearances for many years. Then, in 1979, somebody had an idea for a character named elmo, and decided to just reuse the baby monster puppet instead of designing a new one.

Originally, Elmo was performed by Brian Meehle, who also originally performed telly. After brian meehle left to become a writer, Richard Hunt performed Elmo, but Richard didn't feel comfortable with performing Elmo, so he asked newcomer kevin Clash to take over the character.

I wonder what would have happened if none of brian meehles characters were given new performers? i wonder what would have happened if Richard Hunt continued to perform Elmo up untill his death.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
The Elmo puppet was first created in either season 2 or 3, where he was called baby Monster and was performed by Carroll Spinney. Eventually, baby Monster stopped making appearances for many years. Then, in 1979, somebody had an idea for a character named elmo, and decided to just reuse the baby monster puppet instead of designing a new one.

Originally, Elmo was performed by Brian Meehle, who also originally performed telly. After brian meehle left to become a writer, Richard Hunt performed Elmo, but Richard didn't feel comfortable with performing Elmo, so he asked newcomer kevin Clash to take over the character.
I would also like to add something. At www.toughpigs.com, in the recasts section, it sasy that brian Meehle performed Elmo from 1979 untill 1981, but it also says that Brian Meehle performed telly from 1979 untill 1984. Is this true, or just a mistake? it seems odd that one of brian meehles characters would get a new performer when he was still performing, especially since Richard Hunt didn't like performing Elmo. I have also read that kevin Clash began performing Elmo in 1984, although some sources have said that kevin first performed Elmo in 1986. Then again, given how Richard Hunt didn't want to perform Elmo, i wouldn't be surprised if he only performed elmo for half a season or less.

Thijs

Reaction score
BipBippadotta said:

Anyway, excuse me for being a pain about rules but I have two questions myself about names. How did they come up with the name of Bip Bippadotta (my belief is that his name sounds like a substitute lyric in Mahna Mahna) and who named him. My other question is what are the names of the Muppets aside from him in Air and Fat Cat Sat Hat (recurring Muppets do you think)?
I thought this folder is about SS episodes before the current one. And the Kermit skit I wrote about is rather old by the way.

Thanks for trying, all. Let's hope somebody else knows the answer.

ssetta

Reaction score
minor muppetz said:
Ok, there is a song on the Monsters album called "Monster Lullaby." I've never seen it on the show, but it's sung by a monster mommy to her monster son. The baby doesn't actually sing, but there is dialogue with him at the beginning. Would that happen to be the monster now known as Elmo?

Soul H

Reaction score
If you're referring the the very first school day in history, the teacher was Mr. Moses, and the students were, Oog, Argg and Runk.

Thijs said:
Hi all, I have some skits in dutch, with characters of whom I don't know the name:

1 A SS news segment: Kermit visits the very first school on their very first schoolday. The teacher and three of the children have names. What are those names?

2 A skit about racism with Elmo, two blue male monsters and two blue female monsters. The monsters play rub-a-ball or something, and Elmo is not allowed to play along, because he is red. The two girls have names, what are their names?

if anyone could help me out, thanks!

Thijs

Reaction score
Soul H said:
If you're referring the the very first school day in history, the teacher was Mr. Moses, and the students were, Oog, Argg and Runk.
Thank you very very much! That's what I was looking for.