Napolean Dynamite: The Animated Series

Drtooth

Reaction score
A LITTLE late for that.

I don't know... I liked the movie, but I don't think it works as an animated series. And you can tell something is wrong with children's programming when only adult animated programs are based off of movies (that and Spaceballs, which was okay... but it really didn't feel like Mel Brooks humor).

It looks like the Karate Guy is part of the series. I hope they get the same actor back for that.

But really, not impressed... not impressed with Allen Gregory, either. I do like Bob's Burgers, but it feels like it should be a cable show.

Princeton

Reaction score
It looks like the Karate Guy is part of the series. I hope they get the same actor back for that.
I believe they're bringing back all the original actors from the movie.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I believe they're bringing back all the original actors from the movie.
Eh... that's more than you can say for Spaceballs. of course, Rick Morranis somehow retired or something... which is the shame of shames, believe you me.

Come to think of it... I can barely remember the last cartoon series for kids based off a movie. Sure, I have no doubt the Marvel and DC comics cartoons can be based off movies, or based off characters who were in recent movie... The Batman was clearly inspired by the Chris Nolan films the same way Batman TAS was inspired by the Tim Burton films (only better done). I think Transformers Prime uses the movie character designs... but the last movie based animated series was Emperor's New School in 2006... even then, the last one before that Lilo and Stitch. And that's only because Disney has been known to make cartoons based on their movies anyway. Oh... I forgot Penguins of Madagascar and the upcoming Kung Fu Panda series....

There hasn't been a cartoon based off a PG or PG-13 action or action comedy film for years. They had a real gluttony of them in the 80's and 90's. Most of them were good... there were a couple bad ones (like Evolution the series). I love stuff like Beetlejuice and Real Ghostbusters and Men in Black the series... stuff where the cartoon has even more kid appeal than the movies (There was never any Ghostbuster movie merchandise until recently... but there WAS Real Ghostbusters cartoon stuff).

Still... strange to see adult shows based off of movies.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Eh... that's more than you can say for Spaceballs. of course, Rick Morranis somehow retired or something... which is the shame of shames, believe you me.
I read an interview with Morranis from several years ago where he said that he took a break from acting after becomming a single parent, but then after awhile realised he didn't miss acting, and had decided to limit himself to just writing and voice acting. Not sure if he's decided to retire from those two since then.

Princeton

Reaction score
I read an interview with Morranis from several years ago where he said that he took a break from acting after becomming a single parent, but then after awhile realised he didn't miss acting, and had decided to limit himself to just writing and voice acting. Not sure if he's decided to retire from those two since then.
Well, I do know that he didn't reprise his role for the Ghostbusters video game; that would qualify as voice acting.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, a Napoleon Dynamite show MAY just have the same exact tone of Regular Show... there are hints of ND, as well as Bill and Ted and that terrible Dude, Where's My Car? (the fact that the mundane world of slackers leads to something more supernatural and out of left field... only RS manages to do this GOOD) among others... I just see it being very RS-like as an animated series.

beaker

Reaction score
I'm all for it. Looks very Mike Judge-ish, and I LOVED the movie. One of the few PG movies I've seen that had me in stitches. Also, Beavis and Butthead is back with a whole new season after so many years(and it pretty much looks like it did in the early 90's)

Blue Weirdo

Reaction score
Oh... I forgot Penguins of Madagascar and the upcoming Kung Fu Panda series....
They're apparently doing a Monsters Vs Aliens series too.

Personally I didn't like Napoleon Dynamite. Everyone kept saying,"you have to see this it's so good" so I saw it and found it dull and unfunny.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I admit, I'm kinda suprised that they are making a series only now considering how popular the movie was.

Honestly I didnt like the movie. I thought it was boring and didnt understand the point of it