1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Nate Butler Original Art + Collectibles

Discussion in 'Buy, Sell and Trade' started by Nate Butler, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Nate Butler

Nate Butler New Member

Hi, everyone... I'm Nate Butler, a former Muppet artist (info about me may be found here: http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Nate_Butler), and I'm selling off my old Muppet stuff. (My wife passed away last year, and I'm moving after 32 years in the same house/studio!) In my 20+ year art career I also worked on characters such as Archie & Jughead, Popeye, Barbie, Heathcliff, Bugs Bunny, Tiny Toons, Mighty Mouse, Rocky & Bullwinkle, Snuffy Smith, Animated Batman, The Jetsons, the Flintstones, Berenstain Bears, Tom & Jerry, and more.

If anyone is interested, here's a list of some items I'm selling:

* My original drawing board/desk, taboret, and art-o-graph
    * Original artwork, preliminary sketches & designs
    * Character style guides for Classic & Sesame Street Muppets, Popeye, etc.
    * Rare Muppet collectibles (given out to staff & freelancers)
    * Comic books, coloring books, & other collectibles containing my art/stories

I also have a number of old Muppet books and pictures that the Henson folks gave me for reference material which do not contain my art.

Please respond to this post, and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Thank you! - N.B.
  2. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

Wow! That is amazing all the stuff you have! :) Unfortunately, I don't have enough money for any of that
  3. Nate Butler

Nate Butler New Member

Thanks, Casey... I see you're from New Hampshire. What part of that beautiful state do you live in? I have family in the Portsmouth area.
  4. Stulz

Stulz Member

Nate,

I'm interested in the
    * Character style guides for Classic & Sesame Street Muppets,
    * Rare Muppet collectibles (given out to staff & freelancers)

Can you give me more information about these and/or post pics?
    How much are you asking for?
  5. Nate Butler

Nate Butler New Member

Hi, Chris- I'm half-moved-in to the new place and half-moved-out of the old, so these items are not with me at the moment. As soon as I go back I'll take pics and post them. Frankly, I'm not sure what to ask for the style guides & collectibles. Is there any sort of price guide for Muppet items, online or otherwise, as there is for old comic books? Thanks, N.B.
  6. Stulz

Stulz Member

Unfortunately there isn't. I'd love to involved with one if they ever get one together.
  7. CaseytheMuppet

CaseytheMuppet Well-Known Member

I live in Southern NH by Manchester.
  8. Slackbot

Slackbot Well-Known Member

If Stulz doesn't end up getting the classic Muppets style guide, I hereby officially express my interest in and willingness to buy that.
  9. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Hi Nate, I'm very interested in your items too! I'll send you a private message.
  10. ElecMayhem

ElecMayhem Member

Hi Nate!! I too am interested in your items. I've sent you a private message as well. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks!!
  11. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

I am also interested in the Style guide(Is it Henson or Disney?) and the crew items.Will PM you.thanks.
  12. SwedishTech

SwedishTech Member

I'm interested as well! It'd probably be a good idea to post pictures and info here, It would save you a lot of work. Lol. :)
  13. Nate Butler

Nate Butler New Member

Thank you, one and all, for your interest, posts and private messages... I'll try to get some images & more info posted soon. In the meantime, since there seems to be a lot of interest in them, I have two of the pre-Disney Style Guides (Classic Muppet characters) and one Sesame Street Style Guide. Thanks again.
  14. Nate Butler

Nate Butler New Member

15. Stulz

Stulz Member

Nate, I'm interested in all the Muppet/Muppet Treasure Island style guides, non-Sesame Holiday Cards, The day planner, and the copies of the Henson Press.
  16. muppetperson

muppetperson Well-Known Member

I am interested in a Muppet Style Guide.Would you ship to Australia?Have you worked out any prices yet?
  17. Nate Butler

Nate Butler New Member

Thank you once more, everyone, for all your interest/posts/private messages. Because there are quite a few folks interested in the same items, I'm going to ask if you would please be willing to send me bids for individual items via private message or directly to my email account ( natebutler@aol.com ). Some of you are offering bids on the lots you want, but the lots overlap, so it's hard to know who's offering how much for what. For example, one person has offered $750 for the following lot

all of the Christmas cards
    the Muppets Style Guide with the Leonardo da Vinci cover
    the 1991 Date Book
    the Muppet Press Papers

... but others have just wanted the Christmas cards alone, or the Classic Muppet & Sesame Street Muppet style guides, etc., etc.

Is this an okay solution? I don't want to be obnoxious about this. :o If someone has a better idea for the best way forward, I'm open to it! :)

Thanks again,
    Nate
  18. Nate Butler

Nate Butler New Member

Also, would folks here be interested in seeing images of some of my Muppet original art that's for sale, too?

I didn't get much of that artwork back, because I signed a work-for-hire contract/agreement that gave Henson all rights to everything including permanent possession of my artwork. So most of my originals are from other licensees such as Muppet Magazine and Marvel Comics.

In other cases I have coloring book pages that had to be redone/redrawn for licensees such as Longmeadow Press or Golden Books/Western Publishing, so I have those few originals. (In particular, I have some VERY nice, signed penciled pages that the great Marie Severin did over my layouts for the Muppet Classic Theater coloring book, pub'd in 1995, that were rejected as "too detailed" by the Muppet Art Director.)

As for the Muppet Magazine originals, I think I still have a few pages from the "Squeal of Fortune" comic strip (Spring 1987) and the "Origin of the Olympics" comic strip (Winter 1988). I think I've sold all my "Star Cluck!" and "Crocodile Kermie" comic strip pages.

And I think I have all the page artwork from the stories I did for Muppet Babies #25 ("Castle of Gold," May 1989) and Muppet Babies #26 ("What a Job," July 1989)

Otherwise I have preliminary art/sketches for the Coloring and Activity Books, Magic Pen & Invisible Ink Books, Bath and Cloth Books, Hardcover Books, and the other products that are available for sale. Golden Books/Western Publishing required that I do all my pencil art on tracing paper first, before transferring them to the final art boards (to keep those finished boards as clean as possible), so I have a LOT of those tracing paper pencil drawings.
    So again, if anyone is interested in seeing images of any of this art, please let me know. Thanks!

Nate
  19. BlueFrackle

BlueFrackle Active Member

Hi Nate,
    I think it'd be great to see as much as possible!
  20. Nate Butler

Nate Butler New Member

Thanks so much, BlueFrackle... it's just that I'm short on time currently :busy: and don't want to spend a whole lot of time scanning and posting things that people aren't interested in buying right now.