1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

National Day of Puppetry April 27th

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by Phillip, Apr 27, 2002.

1. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

National Day of Puppetry

Today, Saturday April 27 is the fourth annual national day of puppetry!

Is anything special going on in your area for the event? Or maybe you're even involved with puppet activities in honor of this special day. Either way, let us know!

For more info on the National Day of Puppetry, visit the Puppeteers of America Web site
  2. matleo

matleo Active Member

Happy NDOP gang!!
    I'm celebrating the day by...wroking, but I work with the Paper Moon Puppet Theater so it evens out. But if you're in NJ and looking for a good puppet event, be at the Zimmerli Art Museum in New Brunswick today for the Garden State Guild of Puppetry's first Puppet Cabaret!! For more information call (732) 932-7237 Lotsa great perofrmers lined up for the event!!

And if you're in CT tommorw, stop by the Balaard Institute and Museum of Puppetry in Storrs for the opening of their latest exhibit, a celebration of the work of Margo and Rufus Rose. there will be a gallery talk at 2:00. Yeah!!!

I also know that the New York Guld is doing something tommorow but don't know where or when. have a great day!!!!

--Matt
  3. KPrell

KPrell New Member

The San Francisco Bay Area Puppet Guild -

http://puppeteers.org/guilds/sanfran/index.html

-headed by Anita Coulter and sometime MC poster Brian Stokes, is hosting some puppet shows and puppet workshops at Children's Fairyland near Lake Merritt in Oakland, CA this weekend for the Day of Puppetry. Events run from 11am to 4pm Saturday and Sunday. I'll be there checking things out on Saturday.

Children's Fairyland is a classic 50's children's park with fairytale figures and buildings and little kids' rides. It was recently restored and is a fun place to bring little kids.

http://www.fairyland.org

Lewis Mahlmann is being honored for his 35 years performing puppets at Fairyland. We had a chance to look around the permanent puppet/marionette theater at the park a few years ago and saw photos and articles about Jim Henson and Frank Oz in the office backstage. Frank's father Mike was one of the founders of the Bay Area Puppet Guild.

Also in San Francisco this weekend is PuppetLove 2002

http://www.zeitgeist.net/wfca/PL2002.htm

a festival of radical puppetry that offers shows and workshops at Cellspace on Bryant Street.

Enjoy!

Karen
  4. Scrid

Scrid New Member

Working in the library, trying to finish homework for my Information Retrieval class at San Jose State....not a puppet in sight. It seems wrong.
    TV
  5. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Why do I find out on May the first!!!!!
  6. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I wish I knew that!! Funny! It was on my birthday. Well there are well over 7 billion people in the world, so it must be SOMEONE's b-day!
  7. Splurge

Splurge Member

Re: National Day of Puppetry

Someone in Congress may want to propose making this a federal paid holiday. Even though it would most likely not pass, it would make C-SPAN more fun to watch that day.