NBC cancels "Whitney"

mr3urious

Reaction score
Great news for you, Drtooth! :big_grin:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/09/nbcs-whitney-canceled-com_n_3072112.html

NBC has also cancelled 1600 Penn, Up All Night, Guys With Kids, and Go On.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...th-kids-up-all-night-20130509,0,4250027.story

They've already ordered new seasons season of Grimm and Parks & Rec, and are close to doing the same for Community. Not sure about the critically acclaimed The New Normal, though.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/26/grimm-renewed-nbc-season-3_n_3043881.html
http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/community-fifth-season.html

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I honestly didn't understand why they renewed WHITNEY for a second season anyway, nobody had anything positive to say about the first season, everybody claimed it was a female SEINFELD wanna be.

And weren't they supposed to cancel COMMUNITY too? I thought I heard they were ending it.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
More Parks and Rec! Yay! And I think Community is only being considered for renewal because NBC didn't expect to go zero-for-their entire 2012-2013 new comedy lineup. You have to renew something.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Great news for you, Drtooth! :big_grin:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/09/nbcs-whitney-canceled-com_n_3072112.html

NBC has also cancelled 1600 Penn, Up All Night, Guys With Kids, and Go On.

HEH! Whitney was an embarrassment. It was 15 years too late to be innovative, and everyone who liked it at first grew to hate it fast. Since then, it's become a laughing stock, and a recurring punchline on the animated Mad series. ABC's superior Wednesday night line up must've kicked it's butt really hard. The other shows I have to admit, I tried to like but found them okay. Not offensive, not enlightening, just pretty average. Go On was okay, but it never really got the potential it should have had.

More Parks and Rec! Yay! And I think Community is only being considered for renewal because NBC didn't expect to go zero-for-their entire 2012-2013 new comedy lineup. You have to renew something.
Community is a niche show. It has a niche audience that followed it at the beginning and rode it's wave of wonderful weirdness. I missed out at least a season and a half due to Big Bang being scheduled opposite and never being able to catch up with it on hulu. NBC was going to demote it to Fridays and let it die there, but then something opened up on Thursdays after they cancelled 30 Rock. And quite honestly, Parks and Rec and Community (which got, like 5 episodes this "season") are the only sitcom hits they have. The Office is mercifully ending 2 seasons after it should have. If it went on for one more season, I'm sure they'd call it Catherine Tate presents Catherine Tate's The Office with Catherine Tate. Not to mention that their big back up plan of having a Dwight based follow up fizzled with a terrible pilot that was re-edited into a terrible episode. I'm a big Office fan, but a Dwight sitcom has the potential to be worse than Joey, and not the Frasier I'm sure they would have wanted.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Whitney wasn't a BAD show, it had its moment, BUT anytime they showed promos for it, the clips they picked didn't have the potential to make you wanna watch the episode. You know how some promos make you wanna watch the clips over and over again, and they kind of hook you into an episode? That's what I felt was lacking in the show Whitney. They probably only kept it for a 2nd season because it was a commitment they had to make. So they were just gonna let it die on Fridays with Community(Which only got 13 episodes, and even THAT was a hit/miss season) but they realized that they "didn't have time to promote it right", so they decided that once 30 Rock was off the air(Which was a final 13-episode victory lap) that they would put that back on, and with the fact that no other comedies were gonna end up on the schedule(Go On was actually good, I think if they woulda left that on another year or so, it woulda found its footing and became a pretty good show), they'd keep Community. The Office leaving really kind of painted NBC in that corner too, mostly cause that was their biggest rated sitcom, even after Steve Carell left, which shows you how bad NBC was. The Farm could probably have been good. They just had to re-edit it to be an episode of the show, rather than being a backdoor pilot. I'm sure the pilot version wasn't bad. The only thing about NBC cancelling Go On is the fact that I had Go On in my Thursday Line-up.
TBD=8pm
Go On=8:30
Community=9pm
Parks and Rec=9:30pm
I don't really see how you can fill an hour with some of the pilot premises I've seen. This is REALLY making me not wanna watch TV lol.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
Whitney wasn't a BAD show, it had its moment, BUT anytime they showed promos for it, the clips they picked didn't have the potential to make you wanna watch the episode. You know how some promos make you wanna watch the clips over and over again, and they kind of hook you into an episode? That's what I felt was lacking in the show Whitney.
They tried to sell the show as a "this is how couples really are" type show, but all I saw was something that was from the 90's cryogenically frozen in time. I couldn't even stand watching more than a few minutes of it. It was all line laugh line laugh bits that was just mechanical. Critics initially praised that real couple aspect, and then pushed back after the show progressed.

The Office leaving really kind of painted NBC in that corner too, mostly cause that was their biggest rated sitcom, even after Steve Carell left, which shows you how bad NBC was. The Farm could probably have been good. They just had to re-edit it to be an episode of the show, rather than being a backdoor pilot. I'm sure the pilot version wasn't bad. The only thing about NBC cancelling Go On is the fact that I had Go On in my Thursday Line-up.
The Office was shedding ratings after Carell left. Look how much they dropped off within 2 episodes of the season prior to this one. Other than really bad choices they made in the last season and a half (WHY did James Spader have to leave?), a series that's been on 9 years needs to end at some point. Parks and Rec will be the rightful heir to The Office. That's basically why they passed on The Farm. I just don't think it would have been successful. Now, if they did a show about Craig Robinson working at the sports company, I could see that working, albeit too similar to The Office, but with Sports stars. Frasier worked because the character was just defined enough to carry on a show. Had they given it to Norm or Cliff, the thing would have fell fast.

Edit: NBC is also cancelling Smash, a show NO ONE liked, not even the people that made it. But the bigger news to me is CBS is MERCIFULLY axing Rules of Engagement. I absolutely love Patrick Warburton. I think he's a better Buzz Lightyear than Tim Allen. His Big Bad Wolf had me laughing all the way through the Executive Ruined Hoodwinked 2. But this was the one thing he wasn't even remotely funny in,

mr3urious

Reaction score
NBC's also got that Betty White hidden camera show about old people playing pranks on young people. Ratings have fallen off dramatically, but because of it being so cheap to produce, NBC will probably keep it going. :rolleyes:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It's RULLY disturbing some of the shows featuring old people that are on TV these days...

Ashton Kutcher's apparently producing a reality show for TV Land about old ladies dressing like twentysomething hookers.

HeyButtahfly

Reaction score
I was initially excited about SMASH because I really like Katharine McPhee. I did like the first season. I got disgusted with the turn it took this season and only got about 4 episodes in or whenever it was that they moved it to Saturdays-- I saw the writing on the wall and stopped watching.