Need Help Identifying an Old Skit...

Atomic Rexx

Reaction score
So, as I'm sure all of you know, old school Sesame could be weeeeird. I mean really weird. And, well, I think I might've found the weirdest. Brace yourselves:

What. The. What. Eugh, I've never seen something so strange and surreal on a children's show. The weird stop motion style, coupled with the completely off the wall set and designs. (Mahatma?? Hands?? Burp?? Brush?? What is?!)

Worst part of it is, I have no idea where this insert has come from. I don't know the creator, the date, the episode it was from, if it was ever played again, nothing! So, I come to you all asking that question. What is up with this thing?!

fuzzygobo

Reaction score
It was very surreal first time I saw it way back in the late 70's. It was in rotation for quite a few years. No matter what else you think of it, it was a VERY ORIGINAL way to encourage kids to brush their teeth (and freak them out at the same time).
Plus a nod to Ghandi can't be all bad.

Weird, yes, but not enough to creep me out. Actually over this years it's grown on me a little.But part of that weirdness is what made Sesame so great.

Atomic Rexx

Reaction score
It was very surreal first time I saw it way back in the late 70's. It was in rotation for quite a few years. No matter what else you think of it, it was a VERY ORIGINAL way to encourage kids to brush their teeth (and freak them out at the same time).

Weird, yes, but not enough to creep me out. Actually over this years it's grown on me a little.But part of that weirdness is what made Sesame so great.

Well, at least now I've got a good idea of when this short was aired. Thank you!

And yeah, it was very original, because I've never seen anything like it. Which is probably why I find it so fascinating.

Katzi428

Reaction score

Everything you've said there and more! What a flashback!

Drtooth

Reaction score
This is why it's a shame that SW never gave credit to any of the animators that contributed to the show. Mainly because I'd like to see who was completely batpoo insane enough to make a segment like this.

mr3urious

Reaction score
This looks like something Jim Henson did.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I don't know who did the animation, but I wonder if it's by the same company responsible for this almost-as-weird, almost-as-creepy piece:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were both done by the same people.

This is why it's a shame that SW never gave credit to any of the animators that contributed to the show. Mainly because I'd like to see who was completely batpoo insane enough to make a segment like this.
It's a shame Sesame Workshop doesn't put out an official guide (whether in print or online) to every animated segment (though it could be time consuming), listing titles, descriptions, animators/animation companies, and years (they don't have to list every episode appearances, or even the first episode appearances). Maybe also a similar guide for all the live-action films (since it's a bit harder to determine who did what film, while most of the animators/animation companies used similar styles for their various inserts).

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
So, as I'm sure all of you know, old school Sesame could be weeeeird. I mean really weird. And, well, I think I might've found the weirdest. Brace yourselves:

What. The. What. Eugh, I've never seen something so strange and surreal on a children's show. The weird stop motion style, coupled with the completely off the wall set and designs. (Mahatma?? Hands?? Burp?? Brush?? What is?!)

Worst part of it is, I have no idea where this insert has come from. I don't know the creator, the date, the episode it was from, if it was ever played again, nothing! So, I come to you all asking that question. What is up with this thing?!

Creepy.

Atomic Rexx

Reaction score
I don't know who did the animation, but I wonder if it's by the same company responsible for this almost-as-weird, almost-as-creepy piece:

I wouldn't be surprised if they were both done by the same people.
Oh! I love that one too, especially the ending.

Honestly, who are the radical people that think up stuff like this?