Need help identifying video and possible purchasing it

jeff25624

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal. A long time ago, when I was a wee lad, my parents taped a Muppet Special for me. It was one of my favorite videos when I was little. I've been looking for it for a few years, but we fear the tape was thrown away, and I really want to see it again. Now the thing is, I don't know what it was called, but I'm hoping if I can tell you guys some of the skits, you might be able to recognize it. Just keep in mind, this is tuff I haven't seen in about 13 years, so it's a bit hazy. Ok so here goes. there was

1) a skit being played to "If I could have Time in a bottle", with the muppet blowing himself up at the end
2) There was a skit with a worm crawling on a wall, and was being chased by bigger "monster" muppets. At the end the froglike monster got eaten by a bigger monster.
3. There was a skit taking place in an Egyptian tomb, with a song playing I don't remember. There were a whole bunch of explorers, and then mummies came out at the end.
4. There was a skit with birds on a telephone wire with real long legs, and they were dancing around.
5. It had the "rio" skit with lizards and animals dnacing around at the beach.
6. It had the "menomenuh" song on it.

That's all I can remember, but I know that it had to have been done in the mid to late 80's, becuase that's when my parents recorded it. So any help identifying this would be much appreciated! Thanks! :smile:

anathema

Reaction score
jeff25624 said:
Ok here's the deal. A long time ago, when I was a wee lad, my parents taped a Muppet Special for me. It was one of my favorite videos when I was little. I've been looking for it for a few years, but we fear the tape was thrown away, and I really want to see it again. Now the thing is, I don't know what it was called, but I'm hoping if I can tell you guys some of the skits, you might be able to recognize it. Just keep in mind, this is tuff I haven't seen in about 13 years, so it's a bit hazy. Ok so here goes. there was

1) a skit being played to "If I could have Time in a bottle", with the muppet blowing himself up at the end
2) There was a skit with a worm crawling on a wall, and was being chased by bigger "monster" muppets. At the end the froglike monster got eaten by a bigger monster.
3. There was a skit taking place in an Egyptian tomb, with a song playing I don't remember. There were a whole bunch of explorers, and then mummies came out at the end.
4. There was a skit with birds on a telephone wire with real long legs, and they were dancing around.
5. It had the "rio" skit with lizards and animals dnacing around at the beach.

That's all I can remember, but I know that it had to have been done in the mid to late 80's, becuase that's when my parents recorded it. So any help identifying this would be much appreciated! Thanks! :smile:

In order:
1. "The Muppet Show", Edgar Bergen
2. "The Muppet Show", Rich Little (or its original appearance on an Ed Sullivan show)
3. "The Muppet Show", can't remember which one
4. "The Muppet Show", Shields & Yarnell
5. "The Muppet Show", Diana Ross
6. "The Muppet Show", Juliet Prowse

It sounds like one of the 'Playhouse' compliation tapes - I can't remember which one, but I can check.

Whatever

Reaction score
jeff25624 said:
Muppet fans usually spell that Mahna Mahna, and it also appears on the "Muppet Magic" DVD with skits from the Ed Sullivan Show (the Juliet Prowse episode of the Muppet Show is not commercially available). It sounds like what you saw was a compilation of Muppet skits from the Muppet Show. Most of these episode are commercially available from Time Life.

anathema

Reaction score
Ok, four of the sketches you list can be found in "Muppet Moments". Of the others, "Mahna Mahna" is in "The Muppet Revue", and "Time In A Bottle" I can't find - it may be on one of the tapes I don't have.

muppet_dk

Reaction score
Whatever said:
(the Juliet Prowse episode of the Muppet Show is not commercially available).
Actually it is on the VHS boxset from HMV in the Uk.

anathema

Reaction score
It is also on disc #15 of the Time-Life releases in the US.

GonzoLeaper

Reaction score
The video you're looking for is...

Muppet Treasures. It's one of the videos put out in the 1980s by Playhouse.
I'm positive that must be the one you're talking about, because I've rented it quite a few times at my local video store! :smile:
You can probably find it on Ebay or in a movie rental place somewhere. Good luck. :concern: :wink:

jeff25624

Reaction score
Thanks everyone

Hey everybody thanks for all the info! I'm so psyched!!! My mom is too, she's been looking for the video too!

orionlukteel

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, going WAAAAAY back in the archives.

I don't remember if all of those skits are on "Muppet Treasures"
or not (Doggone it, now I'll have to go and watch it again...) :embarrassed:
but I can tell you where I got it. Probably six years ago I came
across it at a Blockbuster Video in their previously viewed
video sale section. They shift inventory around quite a bit,
so you usually see a wide variety of stuff there. Recently they've
started putting up temporary "Blockbuster Outlet" stores to blow out
all of their extras, and buried in around the multiple copies are the occasional gem. (Jem, too.) :smile:

Additionally, I've seen these occasionally at CD Warehouse and
Half Price Books locations, but they're few and far between.

So if you're still looking for one to purchase, I'll keep my eyes open.