1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Neoprene Rubber ???

Discussion in 'Puppet News' started by BryanS, Feb 1, 2003.

1. BryanS

BryanS New Member

Does anybody know what Neoprene rubber looks like or what kind of texture it has? You Know, the stuff used to make mouth plates for puppets. Is it any thing like the stuff computer mouse pads are made of? I have been looking all over for it or something like it. I think if I use a mouse pad for the mouth plates on the puppet IM building it will be too thick and not stiff enough to hold its shape. Also I have thought of using Foamies but, at Walmart and stores where I'm from. I haven't been able to find any big enough or thick enough. Any Suggestions.

Thanks
    Bryan
  2. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

Look for gasket rubber at the plumbing- or auto departement. It's often used as mouthplates. I tried to get some here in sweden, but it was really expensive.

Good Luck.

/Anders
  3. BryanS

BryanS New Member

mouth plates

Bork Bork,
    What Thickness of the gasket rubber is good for making mouth plates. I was thinking about 1/8" or 1/4" of an inch.

Bryan
  4. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

actually, i don't know because i haven't used gasket rubber yet, due to the expensive price. I think this quetion should be passed over to someone else. Buck? As usuall, hehe...
  5. edible eye

edible eye New Member

neoprene rubber is a liquid

Hi,

I don't know much about mouth plates or what would be good, but I do know a lot about neoprene, I've been using it for over two years to make masks. You have to order it from the Chicago latex corporation 1-800-435-5700. It comes in 1 gallon or 5 gallons, but they don't like to ship in winter because it freezes. You have to make a plaster mold of your part to use it and once it cures it becomes very rigid. You would not be able to move it much at all, it is not like a mouse pad in any way.(even the semi rigid formula). I suppose you could make an upper and lower mouth piece separately and attach them by glueing fabric on the back side.

Hope this helped in some sort of way.:)
  6. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

Re: neoprene rubber is a liquid

This is sorta how you do the mouth. You do the upper and lower mouth as 2 seperate pieces. Then you put them soghether with duct tape and cover the visible parts with some fabric of your choise.

/Anders
  7. pierat

pierat New Member

neoprene

Hey,

Actually I have made many mouths with gasket rubber. However this is not the same as neoprene. I've never actually seen neoprene used as a mouth plate as it is too flexible. Usually it can often be found in mouth grips which are attatched to the mouthplates.

The good news is I've found a better and cheaper substitute for neoprene at the local hardware store. Home Depot carries a neoprene like material used to line the back of showers now prior to putting up tiling or panels. Sorry, can't remember the name of the stuff but it comes in large rolls they sell by the foot.

It's rubber on one side and fabric like on the back with the exact same flexability of neoprene which I also have compared side by side.

The Home Depot stuff sells for around a few dallors a foot much cheaper than neoprene and it works exactly the same in all the mouth mechanisms I've made.

Hope that helps,
    De rat
    http://logos.goodnews.net/~time/
  8. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Great to see you on the forum George! You have a wealth of puppet knowledge to share with others.

Hope all is well with you and your family.
  9. BorkBork

BorkBork New Member

any good substitute for Gasket rubber?
  10. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

"any good substitute for Gasket rubber?"

Rubber Chickens?? :D

For Muley's mouth, I just carved his muzzle out of 2 and 1 inch foam, the bottom part of his mouth is cardboard, the top part of his pallette is 1/4 inch foam which I lined with Duct Tape. I was thinking that, if I find my pattern for my puppets :eek: maybe I would use a mouse-pad for the upper pallette of his mouth.

Soon, I will have a full-body "DisneyWorld-type" costume of my cartoon character, Muley. I was considering how I might make him such that if I nod my head, his mouth will move, but it will end up costing quite a bit more money.

That's all for now,
    FOZ
  11. pierat

pierat New Member

hey hey

http://logos.goodnews.net/~time/

Hey Phil!!!!

Nice to actually catch you in a timely fashion! Actually family is good but I'm sick. 8 (

Oh, well at least it gave me more time to play on the computer than I have had in a long time. Perhaps I will even post our new hot dog puppets pic on my site later today.

Sorry, no substitute for gasket rubber yet but I've been working with a few puppeteers in Ohio and Indiana and getting alot of great ideas and tips in the last year so you never know?

Currently when I want a flex mouth I stil use the gasket rubber at the hardware store in the redish brown color. Usually found around plumbing but you have to ask sometimes it's well hidden.

The down side to that is they only offer it in 8" squares or so and if your making a larger mouth that isn't prefered. So, I'm still somewhat in search of larger sheets myself. Although one of my puppeteers now has access to free brown board for all of our mouthplates and cuts for me. 8 )

It's easier than working with plexiglass and easier to drill through without cracking. You can find brownboard at most lumbar/ hardware stores. Also it's used to make the whiteboard like sheets which only cost me $10.00 for a 10 ft x 4 ft sheet last time I bought one.
  12. Buck-Beaver

Buck-Beaver Active Member

Certain types of vinyl can actually be used very effectively as a subsitute for gasket rubber when making mouth plates. We sometimes cut a mouth plate out of 1/4" polyfoam and then contact cement thin vinyl over top which also works nicely when there is no gasket rubber around.

The original post was the first I've heard of neoprene being used for mouthplates. What will those crazy kids think of next?