NEW Dark Crystal book

sidcrowe

Reaction score
Well, a reprint of the original with even MORE new stuff.

Y'know that original "World of the Dark Crystal," that book that now sells for around 400 bucks? Yeah, THAT one.

Even though I already have the original, all of us hardcore fans gotta get this one. Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...b_d_a/002-1955085-4728866?v=glance&s=dvd&st=*

By the way, the DC is also being re-re-released as a "superbit" DVD. What's special about the "superbit" thing?

:confused:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Less compression, no extras. It offers a higher quality image. Some have been critical that they can't notice much on a regular TV, but others really like the format. I have not witnessed it myself. CDs are so cheap, I never figured out why they just didn't put the movie on one disk and the extras on the other. :confused:

sidcrowe

Reaction score
Hey, that's too much critical thinking!

The thought police are coming to get you!

Hee hee :big_grin:

Seriously, thanx for the info. I can't justify another DC DVD; I already have one. I'll buy another copy when they sell a 70mm print of the film, and I can run it on the side of a building in the town square :wink:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
****!!! Yeah. The problem is, once we all have these hi-def widescreen TVs 5 or so years from now, we will want this version of the DVD - but will there be an even better version out by then or will we have to get taken on Ebay? Hmmm. I'm probably not buying the superbit. :wink: I have faith it'll be out down the line.

sidcrowe

Reaction score
What's next?

I thought that the DVD version of the digitally-produced Star Wars ep II was supposed to be perfect (I didn't buy it-blech!), but now there's "superbit?"

We can't trust those big tech companies :mad:

beaker

Reaction score
*drools* So...must...have...this...book!

As for superbit, I'll pass on it...with no behind the scenes or extras, the extra clarity doesnt matter(especially when one has a big ol flat screen and monster dvd cables^_^ )

sidcrowe

Reaction score
As a tribute to Jim, let's make that book a sellout, guys!

I HAVE the 20 year-old original, and it's awesome. It weighs a ton, has the circle and triangle designs pressed into the hardcover, and has wax paper overlays inside in places. That's all I can remember of it, because it's in storage with a lot of my other stuff. I haven't flipped through it in years. I had to send away for it via special order at the book store. I went through it a few times, treated it with much respect, and put it away. So it's in mint condidtion. It was available through mail order for a short time through Cinefantastique magazine when it was released.

If you know anybody out there who would dig this book, send them to this thread and let's keep the thread up for a little while, so we all KNOW about it coming.

If you want to give a Muppet/Fantasy/Brian Froud/Henson gift, this makes a GRRRRREAT gift, and it's not a lot of money, either.

Get in early, because I don't think there will be many printed. I know it's still easy to get a copy of: Jim Henson The Works, but as all you Dark Crystal fans know, the nubers for us are always small, and have been for 20 years.

And yes, getting a DC DVD is easy, but a DVD costs about a buck to produce.

NOT THE CASE with this book, fellow fans.

A lavish production of a hardcover book, and a tribute to a cult-classic movie. If you're a fan, this book is, well...here's the copied and pasted description from Amazon.com:

"Now 20 years old, Jim Henson's classic fantasy film The Dark Crystal--featuring the breathtaking concept design of renowned fantasy artist Brian Froud--is a soaring work of the imagination. This mystical adventure has such a huge cult following that when the film was recently re-released on video and DVD, it quickly sold a million copies. Just as remarkable is the cult status of The World of The Dark Crystal, Froud's book on the film. Originally published in 1982 and long out of print, this definitive volume--packed with brilliant artwork--has been in such demand that used copies can sell for well over $400.

Abrams is now proudly reissuing this sought-after book in a brand new collector's edition. This beautifully printed reproduction of the original volume contains all of its stunning art and text--plus a new essay by Froud, illustrated with never-before-published paintings, drawings, and sculptures from the film's archives. And this new edition features a facsimile of a 20-page booklet Froud and Henson created to present the film to backers--a gorgeous overview of the story so rare only a few copies are known to exist. This collector's edition of The World of The Dark Crystal, like the re-released film, will truly be a must-have for Henson and Froud fans."

There you go :big_grin:

It MORE than meets the hype.

Phil should buy a few and keep them on hand as prizes for later.

Just BUY IT!!!

:smile: :big_grin: :smile:

sarah_yzma

Reaction score
Originally posted by sidcrowe

Phil should buy a few and keep them on hand as prizes for later.

:smile: :big_grin: :smile:
yeah like 2765!

Sarah