1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

New Dark Crystal Series Coming to Netflix

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by MrBloogarFoobly, May 18, 2017.

1. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Of course it gets dumped straight to Netflix where only a small percentage of the public will actually see it, and then we wonder why JHC struggles to keep anything afloat.

3. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

If Netflix was not a viable platform, they wouldn't be creating original content.

This is what's "in" right now. JHC is making a smart move here.

And stuff on Netflix finds its way to getting onto DVD eventually.

MikaelaMuppet and cahuenga like this.
  4. MrBloogarFoobly

On the contrary, there are a lot of good shows on Netflix, from Stranger Things to Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and House of Cards. Henson is doing the smart thing.

MikaelaMuppet and cahuenga like this.
  5. The 11th UrRu

The 11th UrRu Member

This user is 100% right. This is incredible news for us, I hadn't even hoped for anything like this since the sequel was shelved. This is so, so amazing.

6. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

I don't care where it's happening, as long as it's happening at all! I only woke up 5 minutes ago and just learned the best news I've heard in two years! This will keep me going for the rest of the month, I swear!

7. rexcrk

rexcrk Well-Known Member

I think you underestimate how popular Netflix is...

Anyway, cool news. I don't love The Dark Crystal, but I certainly respect the work that Jim Henson put into creating the world (I've always thought the special effects and just atmosphere in general were out of this world cool).

I'll definitely check it out once it drops.

MikaelaMuppet and Pig's Laundry like this.
  8. Mystic Master

Mystic Master Member

I'm just happy to have anything from the World of DC! (especially after the second movie was ditched) I'll sign up for Netflix just to watch it and then buy it on Blu Ray as well!

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  9. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Henson had huge success with Netflix and Julie's Green Room. Netflix is going to be a great place for the Dark Crystal.
    Who knows if this is a success we just might get that Fraggle movie.

10. JimAndFrank

JimAndFrank Well-Known Member

Speaking of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, I just watched the episode where Bill Barretta made a special guest appearance as a Sesame Street exec which one of the characters auditions for.

Things got very creepy, very quickly.

MikaelaMuppet and Pig's Laundry like this.
  11. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Holy crap, this looks amazing! If a sequel won't cut it with expanding on the world and characters of Thra, then a Netflix series is the next best thing, where they should have a ton of creative freedom compared to a TV network. Plus, you won't have to worry as much about a show getting swiftly cancelled, as their shows seem to have more security.

Also massive props to sticking with puppets and animatronics, which gives me a touch more hope that the proposed Labyrinth spin-off movie will go down that path. Hopefully JHC will twist enough arms to keep CGI to a minimum there.

12. Mystic Master

Mystic Master Member

This is only intended for a limited run series isn't it? They'll probably tell the story within one season, but this could open the door for another series that jumps in the timeline. Doesn't Netflix typically make all the episodes available at once?

13. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Also, I wonder just how the CG will be used? I'm confident JHC will use it smartly, like for particle effects or compositing. They did that well when they worked on the live-action Flintstones films and Where the Wild Things Are.

14. MrBloogarFoobly

Ha, I saw that! He was brilliant in it. And very disturbing.

15. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yes! I just saw that yesterday! It was perfect!

MikaelaMuppet and JimAndFrank like this.
  16. gavry3

gavry3 Well-Known Member

I was never a big fan of The Dark Crystal even after I watched it- but now that a prequel comes not only am I so hyped for a new adaptation other than books, but we can finally get an explanation of what happened before rather than the backstory in the beginning.

17. MikaelaMuppet

MikaelaMuppet Well-Known Member

I hope so.

18. Mystic Master

Mystic Master Member

I'm curious if the Netflix series will pick up after Shadows of the Dark Crystal or include some content from the book.

MikaelaMuppet and gavry3 like this.
  19. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member

I'm SO excited about this. I've waited for something new from The Dark Crystal (aside from merchandise and Robot Chicken parodies) for a loooooong time now. :scary:

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  20. Flaky Pudding

Flaky Pudding Well-Known Member