New Elmo's World Ideas

abiraniriba

Reaction score
I know not everybody here appreciates Elmo, but since I have two children, I'm required by law to watch him. Anyway, I have an idea for Elmo's world theme maybe a SS creator will see this and develop it further. Puppets. that's right a puppet thinking about puppets. Maybe they could even do a shot of Kevin Clash holding up Elmo.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Yeah, like a puppeteer holding up a puppet! But maybe Elmo would be the puppeteer.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Anyway, I have an idea for Elmo's world theme maybe a SS creator will see this and develop it further. Puppets. that's right a puppet thinking about puppets. Maybe they could even do a shot of Kevin Clash holding up Elmo.

It would sound like a good idea for any other show... but... well, the idea of Kevin Clash holding Elmo up reminds me of why Carol Spinney first refused to appear on Mr. Rogers (he had to explain how Big Bird worked from the inside). It ruins the imagination of the kids, and nullifies the suspension of disbelief that make the Muppets work so well. We know they are puppets... but we can't help feeling they are real flesh and blood beings at the same time. I mean, sometimes a snarky comment hinting towards their existance (Grover's comment, "it must be fun to be a puppet.")

However, it is a good idea for a segment.

I feel they should do a series on crafts, and have Elmo talk about how you can make things with mommy (or daddy's) help. That's interactive.

ISNorden

Reaction score
I've had an "Elmo's World" idea in the back of my mind, too...about my favorite topic, hugging. Some of the details I've worked out:
  • When Elmo answers the door at the beginning, several of his Muppet friends give him a hug.
  • Dorothy's bowl would have a figurine of two hugging children.
  • The "What else"? section would ask about things that are/aren't huggable. (Of course, it'd include Elmo's old standby: "You can't hug a birthday cake"...with an optional shot of the resulting mess. "But your friends can hug you at a birthday party!")
  • Elmo would get an e-mail from Snuffy, who shows how he hugs Big Bird with his snuffle.
  • When Elmo says "I want to know more! How can I find out more about hugging?" he ends up interviewing a teddy bear.
  • And of course, Elmo and his friends sing the "Hug Song" at the end... :smile:
Does anyone have ideas for the parts I left out? These are the ones I'd need to include:
  • Elmo's "How do you do this?" question.
  • Elmo's counting question/cartoon.
  • The "topic channel" clip on Elmo's TV.
  • The live-action film starring one or more children, narrated by Elmo.
I'd appreciate any help or constructive criticism you have. Many thanks!

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I understand what Carol Spinney was saying, and maybe actually taking Big Bird apart would have been too much. But I saw how the Muppets worked and the puppeteers themselves on TV several times as a kid, and it honestly never bothered me. It was also as much fun as watching just The Muppets themselves.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
[/LIST]Does anyone have ideas for the parts I left out? These are the ones I'd need to include:
  • Elmo's "How do you do this?" question.
  • Elmo's counting question/cartoon.
  • The "topic channel" clip on Elmo's TV.
  • The live-action film starring one or more children, narrated by Elmo.
I'd appreciate any help or constructive criticism you have. Many thanks!
Elmo could ask "how do you hug yourself?"
Elmo's counting question could be "how many hugs will a penguin give to a cat?"
Don't know about the other two.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've had an idea for awhile: Frogs! Of course, I would be more in favor of a "frogs" segment if Sesame Workshop could get Kermit the Frog to make an appearance. Kermit could appear when Elmo wants to talk to a frog. Maybe the "what else?" segent could ask, "What do frogs do, and what don't frogs do?", ending with "do frogs report for the news?" Obviously, the answer would be "No, unless it is Kermit!"

ISNorden

Reaction score
Elmo could ask "how do you hug yourself?"
Elmo's counting question could be "how many hugs will a penguin give to a cat?"
Don't know about the other two.

"How many Twiddlebugs can hug this kitten?" would look even cuter (and since the Twiddlebugs have reappeared on Sesame Street, giving them more press couldn't hurt). You've got a great point about cats being cuddly, though, so I'd keep that part.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Hmmmm... well, I have a few suggestions...

Planets- he could talk about all the different planets in the solar system, and watch the planet channel. And show a taped segment about some kid going to the planetarium.

Animation- I think it may be too close to "Drawing," but they could show a segment where some kid watches some one animate something for Sesame street.

Fruits and Veggies- hey, we're on the healh subject, why didn't they think of this? They did food, but they could explore fruits and vegies further.

Monsters- Self explanitory.

Bones- Elmo could talk to a cute muppet skeliton.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
One funy idea would be for a "mistakes" episode. For Mr. Noodles segment, Mr. Noodle can be instructed to do something and make a mistake while doing it, and he can keep doing things the proper way. That would be a proper twist, that his "mistake" is not making mistakes when he's supposed to. And maybe Elmo can randomly sing a few verses of "Everyone Makes Mistakes" a few times.