1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

New Emmett Otter Jug-Band Christmas DVD

Discussion in 'Family Worlds' started by trac31, Oct 3, 2008.

1. trac31

trac31 New Member

Does anyone know if the new DVD releasing on Nov 4 2008 is going to be edited? If so I will just keep with the one I have. :concern:
  2. FrogInTheGlen

FrogInTheGlen New Member

I heard that the Kermit the Frog stuff was going to be edited out, but I'm not sure.

Speaking of, I'd really like to get a copy of the DVD that DOES have Kermit. Could some post an Amazon link to the edition that does? There seems to be a few out there, and I want to make sure I'm getting the right one. :)
  3. GelflingWaldo

GelflingWaldo New Member

Nothing New Here.

The "new" DVD coming out on November 4th is simply a re-issue of the "Collector's Edition" DVD from 2005 (just in a new box with the "Jim Henson's Christmas Classics" logo and under Lionsgate's distrubition). According to HIT, the disc features will be the same as the 2005 edition.
  4. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Sad frogboy. I wants me my Kermit back. :) I miss him so. Emmet Otter does too! :sympathy: I'll have to think about this purchase.
  5. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Yeah I already have the 2005, so that's all I need. I'll just recommend this one to friends.
  6. BobThePizzaBoy

BobThePizzaBoy Well-Known Member

So does this mean Kermit won't be on the DVD of The Christmas Toy either? :concern:
  7. heralde

I know this isn't immediately available to everyone, but the Paley Center for Media in Los Angeles and New York has the uncut Emmet Otter special. It includes Kermit, a few scenes not in the DVD version (but in the DVD's bonus features), and the original commercials.
  8. superboober

superboober Member

So then does having the original commercials there confirm ABC was the first network to air it rather than HBO?
  9. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

Contrary to what some believe, Emmet Otter was indeed on network television first and HBO later. Everyone remembers the HBO airings because HBO held the rights to the special for a number of years and very few had VCR's for the first network TV airing.
  10. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

Ok I bought this at Wal-Mart lastnight because I didn't take the dvd box out of the slipcase thinking it was a brand new release, WELL IT'S NOT! SAVE YOUR MONEY!
    This thing is the same exact release with the red box with a fancy new slip cover over it from a few years back.
    Oh well, I wasted a bit of my money but I guess I'll give it to some one for christmas now.
  11. heralde

Yup, it's not a waste if you're able to pass it on. ;)
  12. vaati64

vaati64 Member

so, this is the exact same release fro 2005? same bonus features and everything? I just wanted to make sure because this weekend I'm going to buy emmet otter because I have nevere seen it before.
  13. TheJimHensonHour

TheJimHensonHour New Member

Yes, it's the same one without Kermit and those bonus extras.
  14. vaati64

vaati64 Member

ok, thanks!:)
  15. Dock Bullfrog

Dock Bullfrog New Member

I grew up watching Emmitt Otter on HBO at Christmas time. This special is absolutely beloved by my whole family and we make it a point to watch it every year.

Does anyone know why they chose to edit out all of the Kermit appearances? That seems like a really bone-head decision. Eliminating Kermit's narration completely really hurts the charm of this feature! I own the completely intact VHS version and the 1st DVD release that has Kermit but still has edited scenes. I guess I'll just keep these for the time being. Oh well, maybe they will eventually release a proper high def version on blu ray.
  16. vaati64

vaati64 Member

As I understand is, its because Kermit now belongs to Disney, so Henson isn't allowed to use Kermit in any of their dvd releases, so all of Kermit has to be editied. What I don't understand is why Disney is not letting Henson use the Kermit scenes, but then giver credit, or acknowledgement to Disney and the Muppet Studios.
  17. Dock Bullfrog

Dock Bullfrog New Member

Why on earth would Henson give up rights to their marque character? That would be like Disney signing over the rights of Mickey Mouse to Dreamworks! :confused:
  18. Phillip

Phillip Administrator Staff Member

It took nearly fifteen years to happen but that's exactly what Henson did.

http://www.muppetcentral.com/news/2004/021704.shtml
  19. Libba Yuki

Libba Yuki Member

Before signing up to this site, I had never heard of "Emmett Otter Jug Band Christmas" or "The Christmas Toy".

But now that I know they exist, I want them!

Were either one ever released totally uncut? (VHS, DVD)?
  20. heralde

The Christmas Toy uncut VHS is on Amazon from third party sellers, that's how I got mine. Emmett Otter was released on VHS uncut, I don't know if it's on Amazon. Good luck! :) :)