1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

New Mickey Mouse Shorts Announced

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ToonGeek, Mar 12, 2013.

1. ToonGeek

ToonGeek Active Member

2. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

Heh. I rather liked that one. We're looking at some real potential to be a spiritual successor to Mouseworks/House of Mouse shorts. THIS is what I wanted them to do all along. Love the special character redesigns here.

MikaelaMuppet and Duke Remington like this.
  3. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Now this is Mickey and Co. as they should be, rather than just a bunch of preschool mascots. I like the idea of the characters in different parts of the world and even speaking the native language of that area, the latter of which I hope continues with the other shorts.

The animation, while done in Flash, is also really impressive, retaining the stretchy rubber hose limb style of the 1930s shorts.

Duke Remington and Drtooth like this.
  4. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Shoot. I can't watch it since it's only avaliable to the U.S. :sigh:

5. Drtooth

The truth has been spoken. Yeah, I'm glad that dumb preschool show got Mickey and Co back into the spotlight... even giving Pete and Ludwig VonDrake merchandising. But the characters are simply wasted on a Dora-esque show. Especially since that was the only other animated appearance of Super Goof.

And this definitely looks like something from an ex-Dexter's Lab animator. And proof Flash animation doesn't mean abusive overuse of motion tweens.

Duke Remington likes this.
  6. Muppet fan 123

I was able to watch it on Youtube, only in French though, luckily, being Canadian, I understood most of it. You didn't need the words to watch to understand this one.

Now, this is the kind of Mickey & Co. things I want to see! It feels like those old classic Mickey cartoons! I like the style of it too, instead of the regular lame CGI animation that we constantly see.

7. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Wow, great animation with such restricting resources!

8. Drtooth

I really hope that doesn't backfire on them, because the fact they're American characters speaking unsubtitled French is part of this cartoon's charm. I especially like that Tress MacNeil (Daisy) is the only one to have a proper French accent. Same as that weird "Buttons and the Red Balloon" skit from Animaniacs (she was Mindy's Mom).

I hope to see Donald and Goofy get cameos in shorts to come.

9. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Well, they were done by Paul Rudish, who previously worked on Dexter's Lab and The Powerpuff Girls (both of those shows had a lot of the same animators, writers, directors, etc.).

Anyway, I like this short too and look forward to the others.

I can't help but wonder if part of the reason why they put the short's dialogue in French without subtitles was to try and give it a bit of a foreign film feeling. I can easily see that being the trend for the other 18 shorts in this series (such as the one in Tokyo having the characters speak Japanese, the one in Venice being in Italian, etc.).

I would also love to see cameos by other classic characters like Oswald, Clarabelle, Horace, etc. in these new shorts as well as surprise cameos by other feature film characters (in the vein of the Cinderella & Prince Charming cameo in the first short).

10. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

A new preview of this new series of shorts has been posted on YouTube:

11. tutter_fan

tutter_fan Well-Known Member

Oh GAWD! This preview I just saw from our Duke Remington is HILARIOUS!!!!!!!

12. Dominicboo1

Dominicboo1 Well-Known Member

Where are you from Muppet fan? I've been meaning to ask you.

13. Muppet fan 123

Good ol' Canada. If you ever plan coming here, I suggest you bring a coat. ;)

14. mo

mo Well-Known Member

NEW MICKEY MOUSE SHORTS!!!! *squeals and clicks on links*

miss kermie and Duke Remington like this.
  15. Bridget

Bridget Well-Known Member

AW-sum!

mo and Duke Remington like this.
  16. Nick22

Nick22 Active Member

Omg yay. I'd heard about these shorts but figured it wouldn't be anything good and I can now say I'm beyond excited.

17. Bridget

Will Daisy be in these shorts? (She is my favorite Mickey & Friends character).

18. Sgt Floyd

Sgt Floyd Well-Known Member

Am i the only one who's not really liking them? I guess it's a bit...jarring to see classic style Mickey animated in flash :s

19. Bridget

Oh okay, I didn't see Daisy at first in the video beside Minnie. Yeah, Floyd, not that I dislike it; however the animation does seem a bit~weird?~

I guess it's suppose to resemble the look of Mickey from a while back a little.?

20. Drtooth

You gotta admit, it's far better looking than CGI Mickey. I never liked how he looked in CGI. The other characters look alright, but Mickey and Minnie look ghastly in CGI.