1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

New Muppet Abby Cadabby heads to the Street

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by gfarkwort, Aug 6, 2006.

1. gfarkwort

gfarkwort Member

2. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I didn't know so much went into putting together one character. But it is interesting though.
  3. gfarkwort

gfarkwort Member

Yea...Sesame Street's Characters colors and shape are all researched to create the most appealing character for kids.
  4. BEAR

BEAR Active Member

looks like Zoe has to move over as the partner to Elmo. Also, even though I really like the Abby character so far, don't they have a proudly feminine character in Prairie Dawn?
  5. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

I thought the same thing.
  6. gfarkwort

gfarkwort Member

But she's not Cool and Magical....and not as Fun as someone New...
  7. Dil

Dil Guest

Abby is a rare SS Muppet 'Person' with color around the pupil.
  8. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Was that sarcasm, haha! The things they do to hold kids attention spans these days. But I like her though, she is awfully cute.

It's like a bitter sweet victory, something that is a good idea, yet is so ready marketable to rival that of Elmo.
  9. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

My mother and I thought the same thing about Prairie. It's like buying new furniture when you already have some.

I read about the Abby character in the New York Times the other day. I don't know, I'm not crazy about yet another princess-y female figure on television. It might just perpetuate the idea that girls who aren't into dresses and makeup are weird.

Plus, all the newer Sesame Street characters have the same descriptions, they're young and sweet, eager to learn, and sometimes get carried away. It's the same thing over and over. I think this was mentioned on the forum before, the older characters had more variety.
  10. gfarkwort

gfarkwort Member

It wasn't really sarcasm...but you can take it that way ;) But maybe there should be a Grouch girl who's not eager to learn...and likes to play football with the guys.....or likes hopping on Pogo Sticks....
  11. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

There ya go!
  12. Mistoffelees

Mistoffelees Member

Today Show Appearance?

Does anyone know if/when she appears on the Today Show today?
  13. aaronmojo

aaronmojo Member

This smacks of "trying too hard." I think it's pretty apparent that kids are not gonna like what you tell them to like (witness all the parents who detest Barney the dinosaur -- and all the kids who love him). Sometimes it's possible to overthink something...

Besides -- I never knew any girls who grew up frustrated that there were no girl Muppets on Sesame Street. Not that I object to a girl Muppet! I just object to trying to shoehorn someone into the show. Especially something so self-consciously "cute."

It reminds me of back when I worked in a bookstore. A woman came in looking for a book for her daughter. "My daughter likes books about strong, independent women! Not stories about princesses or little boys!" The woman's daughter toddled up to the counter, in her diaper, gnawing on a board book about ducks or fish or something! "Lady, your daughter doesn't even know what to DO with the books, let ALONE understand the personal motivations of the protagonists... Does she like ketchup on her books about positive role models?"
  14. Erine81981

Erine81981 Active Member

When are we going to get another boy/guy character? All we've gotten in the last few years are girl/woman characters. We want a new boy monster or new boy or guy anything muppet. We older people would love to see newer guy characters or boy.
  15. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

I personally don't mind that they're adding another female character, I'm just a little disapointed that they're trying so hard to make her prissy and all that.
  16. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

she does seem annoying so she wll be the next big thing
  17. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

This reminds of that thread I did a long time ago about how it seems like female muppets (particularly monsters) never seem to last very long on Sesame Street. Apparently, they have high hopes about Abby Cadabby...we'll just have to wait and see.
  18. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

If ya don't like her, something tells me she's gonna flop like all the other female monsters outside of ZOe and Rosita. They haven't had success besides those two, I doubt Abby Kadabby will work out that well.
  19. Kimp the Shrimp

Kimp the Shrimp Active Member

20. Welcome to the muppets Abby Cadabby. But I agree with you all. I just hope that she doesn't take over like Elmo did. I don't have nothing against Elmo but i sure wish all things sesame street didn't revolve around him.