New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Actually.......
The first three Muppet movies (The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, and The Muppets Take Manhattan) and Muppets From Space all came out in the summer. (June or July)

The Muppets Christmas Carol and The Muppets came out around the holiday season (November or December)

Muppet Treasure Island came out in February.

So, actually, a majority of the big screen Muppet movies actually came out in the summer. If MTI can come out in February, then its not totally weird that The Muppets....Again is coming out in March.
That's somewhat true. However, most of the projects and product-pushes since 1999's MFS have occurred around Christmastime. They created two Christmas specials, released a theatrical film for the 2011 Thanksgiving/Christmas season, released their "Green & Red" holiday album, Kermit released a separate Christmas single with Tiffany Thornton, the Muppets made another Christmas single with CeeLo and there have been many other appearances and products in between. The Muppets were well-known for their Christmas presence during the Jim era too and that's all great. It's also been their security-blanket. There's a generation of people who see the Muppets as Christmas tie-ins. I just feel they've been pigeon-holed since then because none of their non holiday-related/holidiay-timed releases (MTI, MT, MFS, MWoO) have done very well since the days of Jim. It's good that Disney is showing some confidence and initiative with this new spring release date.

Bridget

Reaction score
Well, I will will DEFINITELY be one of the first ones in the theater wearing my Piggy & Paris T-shirt! I cannot wait to see this! I want to see little Robin in this film! He's so adorable... !!!

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Well, the movie starts shooting this week so I expect we'll get some leaked pics and tweets soon. They'll probably wrap principle photography in or around April. Editing and effects will follow so their rough cut should be done by late summer. Promotion could begin at any time. We could start to see teasers as early as summer, but certainly by fall this year. Once the movie is released March 2014, the home video will be next. I'd expect that around August 2014. October at the absolute latest. That's how these things usually go...

Drtooth

Reaction score
I just feel they've been pigeon-holed since then because none of their non holiday-related/holidiay-timed releases (MTI, MT, MFS, MWoO) have done very well since the days of Jim.
Except, MTI outgrossed MCC. MCC probably does better on home video, being a Christmas release.

March may be solid. Ice Age came out in March, and we wouldn't have 4 Ice Age Movies if the first one wasn't an unexpected hit. Kid's movies seem to do pretty good around that time, depending. I could see it getting a few good weeks, not to mention certain parts of the country (not mine, except for colleges) have vacations in March. That'll be a nice rainy day activity.

muppetlover123

Reaction score
Well, the movie starts shooting this week so I expect we'll get some leaked pics and tweets soon. They'll probably wrap principle photography in or around April. Editing and effects will follow so their rough cut should be done by late summer. Promotion could begin at any time. We could start to see teasers as early as summer, but certainly by fall this year. Once the movie is released March 2014, the home video will be next. I'd expect that around August 2014. October at the absolute latest. That's how these things usually go...

cant wait for some leaked pics

jvcarroll

Reaction score
Except, MTI outgrossed MCC. MCC probably does better on home video, being a Christmas release.

March may be solid. Ice Age came out in March, and we wouldn't have 4 Ice Age Movies if the first one wasn't an unexpected hit. Kid's movies seem to do pretty good around that time, depending. I could see it getting a few good weeks, not to mention certain parts of the country (not mine, except for colleges) have vacations in March. That'll be a nice rainy day activity.
Both films made about the same amount and both were considered box office disappointments. It seems that few chances outside the holiday season were taken with the Muppet gang after MFS. That said, Disney really did bungle MWoO, but in the long run they have solidified the Muppets so that they are no longer nostalgia or niche. They are mainstream pop culture once again.

The "Muppets...Again" will reportedly be going up against yet another franchise called "Divergent" that wants to be the next Twilight. So, that's the competition people. We'll see, I guess.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
The "Muppets...Again" will reportedly be going up against yet another franchise called "Divergent" that wants to be the next Twilight. So, that's the competition people. We'll see, I guess.

NO MORE TWILIGHT! NO MORE VAMPIRES! NO MORE STUPID GIRLS WHO ARE WILLING TO BECOME VAMPIRES JUST TO BE WITH THEIR VAMPIRE BOYFRIEND FOREVER!!!!! GAAAAAAAAH! :grr::grouchy:
(Ok....rage over.)

Status
Not open for further replies.