New Muppet movie in development for potential 2013 release

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissMusical12

Reaction score
John, the "moviegoers" that seem to have the biggest voice these days are stupid teenagers, and they're the audience that made Twilight - With its bland characters, lack of substance, sexist-to-both-genders exploitation of the male body, and total disregard to what real love is - popular. (No offense to all of the smart teenagers that are reading this post who did not help make Twilight popular (and you are excused if a date dragged you to one of the films))
Actually....I went to my friend's New Moon opening night slumber party..that is when she was still overly obsessed with Twilight back in like the 8th grade....

Drtooth

Reaction score
That said, Disney really did bungle MWoO, but in the long run they have solidified the Muppets so that they are no longer nostalgia or niche. They are mainstream pop culture once again.
MWoO was all over the place in terms of screwed up. They chose to air it at a very random date opposite the Daytime Emmy's on the night of the last Star Wars film. I agree. Had it a proper Thanksgiving Night airing, it may have changed things. Maybe it would have given them more time to punch it up and make it better than it was, but the fact of the matter is, Disney wanted a project to launch the franchise on. Rather than waiting, there was one that was being made while the sale was going down. Big mistake.

The "Muppets...Again" will reportedly be going up against yet another franchise called "Divergent" that wants to be the next Twilight. So, that's the competition people. We'll see, I guess.
I don't see the problem. The Muppets did go up against Twilight, and it did well enough for itself. If anything was squelching its potential, it was Happy Feet 2, Arthur Christmas and Hugo. Kid's movies. I don't see a huge Venn Diagram with an inbetween of Muppet and Twilight fans. And how many times is "the next" something ever really the next something? "The Next" something usually means "we ripped that something off."

jvcarroll

Reaction score
MWoO was all over the place in terms of screwed up. They chose to air it at a very random date opposite the Daytime Emmy's on the night of the last Star Wars film. I agree. Had it a proper Thanksgiving Night airing, it may have changed things. Maybe it would have given them more time to punch it up and make it better than it was, but the fact of the matter is, Disney wanted a project to launch the franchise on. Rather than waiting, there was one that was being made while the sale was going down. Big mistake.

I don't see the problem. The Muppets did go up against Twilight, and it did well enough for itself. If anything was squelching its potential, it was Happy Feet 2, Arthur Christmas and Hugo. Kid's movies. I don't see a huge Venn Diagram with an inbetween of Muppet and Twilight fans. And how many times is "the next" something ever really the next something? "The Next" something usually means "we ripped that something off."
I was just stating what the direct competition will be. There really wasn't anything reported until recently. The pitch seems rather silly. I guess the strength will be in the trailer. There's a lot said about fans of Twilight-type films and whether tor not they'd like the Muppets. The jury really is out on that one. I don't see it as an either-or proposition.

The Muppets and Twilight came out 5 days apart so their competition wasn't quite as fierce as it could have been. I was really concerned about Arthur Christmas and Hugo, but they really underperformed. I finally saw Arthur. It played-out like a faded facsimile of Disney's Prep & Landing but without the jokes. I have Hugo on Blu-ray. It's a beautiful film, but I still haven't been able to stay awake long enough to see the end.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The Muppets and Twilight came out 5 days apart so their competition wasn't quite as fierce as it could have been. I was really concerned about Arthur Christmas and Hugo, but they really underperformed. I finally saw Arthur. It played-out like a faded facsimile of Disney's Prep & Landing but without the jokes. I have Hugo on Blu-ray. It's a beautiful film, but I still haven't been able to stay awake long enough to see the end.
Yeah. Arthur did bite a little of the Muppet potential, I feel. I was really worried about an Elf/Looney Tunes Back in Action situation where more people would go to the Christmas film than the franchise relauncher. But really, it was that second week in that hurt the movie. Hopefully we'll see a more consistent box office this time around. Hugo makes me laugh... there's a reason why it's TVtropes' listing under Audience Alienating Premise with the caption ""Martin Scorsese's loving homage to the early era of cinema and filmmaking...for children." They didn't even market it that way, making it look like yet another attempt to be Harry Potter. I'm sure it's a beautiful, wonderful film and it made back its budget barely due to foreign markets. But to make a historical period piece with such high Author Appeal specifically tailored to what he'd think he'd like as a kid, that was a gamble that didn't pay off. It might find a cult audience someday, though.

MrBloogarFoobly

Reaction score
I think a summer release for this movie might be a really terrible idea. Sure, Muppet Fans will go, parents will take their kids to see it, and ironic teenagers will snicker through it. But summer is a time for big budget blockbusters, and the Muppets have never been "big" films. They're small, sweet, and modest, not loud, brash, and explosive.

jvcarroll

Reaction score
I think a summer release for this movie might be a really terrible idea. Sure, Muppet Fans will go, parents will take their kids to see it, and ironic teenagers will snicker through it. But summer is a time for big budget blockbusters, and the Muppets have never been "big" films. They're small, sweet, and modest, not loud, brash, and explosive.
March isn't summer. :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.