New Muppet Pilot in Development by Randall Einhorn (The Office, Modern Family) for ABC

Drtooth

Reaction score
Muppets have always had the occasional off guests. As long as we don't get any reality show "stars" in the mix, I'm fine.

charlietheowl

Reaction score
One of the things that I like about the Muppets and the sitcom format is that they wouldn't have to rely on guests all the time. Obviously the Muppets interacting with people is one of their best qualities, but you don't want to put the success of your project in the hands of guest stars all the time (see season 5 of TMS). A sitcom format could put the focus on the Muppets and use guests for cameos more than starring roles.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Yes. Definitely. Especially when they have an off guest star, the fawning was just awkward and took time away from some great Muppet humor. Not that there weren't great background moments with memorable guests that knew what the Muppets were all about, that is. If there's one thing I really appreciated with MT near the end of the run was multiple guest star episodes. I don't have anything but praise for the Andie McDowell episode. Not only did it have that great sitcom plot about Bunsen's identity crisis with Beaker (seriously, why isn't BunsenXBeaker a thing when ErnieXBert became a tired meme decades ago?), but those great moments with George Takei, looooong before he became the awesome human meme that he is. I'd love to see multiple guests in an episode as short cameos with the Muppets being the true stars.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
Muppets have always had the occasional off guests. As long as we don't get any reality show "stars" in the mix, I'm fine.
It's the Muppet Show, with our very special guest; Kim Kardashian! Yaaay!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I just can't see the Muppets carrying on a sitcom. Maybe they can, but I don't think their personalities are established enough to carry recurring storylines and situations among each other in the long run. They're a tad too wacky and off-the-wall for a sitcom format.

Drtooth

Reaction score
The term "sitcom format" is all but meaningless, as it's so loosely defined, I guess you could call the original series a sitcom too. Even though it was more of a variety show/sitcom format.

I think they could get it done in a 30 Rock-ish situation, only showing more of the actual skits. If they can do something that's a cross between the sketch and song format with more character driven plot lines behind the scenes, good episode of MT style, I think they could carry a format like that indeed.

Muppetboy09

Reaction score
With the supposed taping already past us, I am surprised we haven't seen or heard anything from the cast and/or crew. I was expecting at least a couple pictures to show up.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
So they're basically recycling the same thing they were initially working on ten years ago?