1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Save Muppet Central Radio
    Within days Muppet Central Radio could be off the air. Show your support and save the station by listening via Radionomy's website and apps. We're also on iTunes and Apple TV. Learn More

New Muppet Pilot in Development by Randall Einhorn (The Office, Modern Family) for ABC

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Apr 2, 2015.

1. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

Ugh, is that the title of the new show? As if the diffrentiation between The Muppets (2011) and The Muppets (franchise) wasn't bad enough. I'm sure the show will be great, but a simple title like that is just confusing. Maybe it's just temporary for the pilot to pitch to executives until they come up with something better.

Fozzie is definitely wearing the new tie because he's on a date. It looks like there's some coffee machine or something behind him so maybe he's at a restaurant or a coffee shop or something. I'm curious who his new girlfriend is. I'm assuming she's a similar looking bear, but I'm curious what she looks like or who's performing her. The speculation continues!

dwayne1115 and WalterLinz like this.
  2. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Well maybe that is just what they are calling it right now, but I do agree that if that is the title it sure dose not pop if you know what I mean.

3. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I never really liked how the movie was called "The Muppets," and that seemed like a marketing based move. Yet I have no idea what else it should have been titled. Great Muppet Comeback would have doomed the thing... I mean, look at Looney Tunes Back in Action. They certainly weren't in action for much longer after that. At the same time, I don't like the idea of the show being called "The Muppets" either, but can't think of a name I'd prefer to hear myself. The New Muppet Show is right out. The Muppet Show parentheses date end parentheses is awful too. Muppets behind the Scenes would probably work if everyone's forgotten about Behind the Music (sounds too similar).

4. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

cahuenga likes this.
  5. LaRanaRene

I think "It's Time To Meet the Muppets" sounds better.

6. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Shows don't have theme songs anymore, it's an industry standard now, because network research believes that theme songs causes viewers to lose interest in the show and therefore will change the channel.

No, seriously, that's what networks actually say, which is why shows have no theme songs anymore, they just start the show from the get-go, overlay the main titles over it, then the show closes with the end titles overlayed over it as well.

7. LaRanaRene

That sounds really stupid. Was the 60s-90s just a figment of our imagination?

8. D'Snowth

No, but network and industry standards were a lot different back then than they are now.

LaRanaRene likes this.
  9. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

What D'Snowth is saying is mostly true. That and the reason that primetime shows sometimes barely even have time for theme songs are pat of the reason why shows don't have 'em anymore. The only current comedy show that I could think of that has a theme song off the top of my head is Community but even that never really did so well on TV anyway.

Wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't have a theme song as well. Primetime TV has changed a lot since the 70s.

10. mimitchi33

mimitchi33 Active Member

I saw this news on Facebook and thought "Finally! I've been awaiting a new Muppet Show for so long. I can't wait to see it!". I hope this introduces a new generation of kids to the humor and charm of such beloved characters.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2015
  11. Drtooth

Sorry, but I'm going with Strong Bad on this one.

Theme songs are indeed nice and all, but would you rather have 2 minutes of opening or 2 more minutes of show? The increased commercial time has to come from somewhere, I'd rather the show itself not be edited to a nub for it.

Muppet Master and dwayne1115 like this.
  12. dwayne1115

I would have to agree that two more minutes of show would be more worth our time. I would hope however that the closing of each show would be bloopers.

13. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

I don't see why a 30 second theme can't be more reasonable. You get a nice advertisement for the show and enough time for the show itself. Plus, just use that time to take a quick snack or bathroom break. :)

LaRanaRene likes this.
  14. dwayne1115

Well this is interesting here is the title card for the new show. I know It going to start a snail storm of complaints, but here it is.

[​IMG]

15. Drtooth

I honestly am mixed on theme songs and all, but I really think the advertisers are the ones that should shoulder the blame on this one. Look at Gumball. it has a 20 second opening (5 seconds of it are title screen) and even those 15 seconds are considered too much so they can shove like one more short commercial in there. They edit the crap out of anime openings and endings on [adult swim]. Ruins the flow.

I'd love to see the Muppets have a nice theme song opening and all. I think 20-30 seconds is a good compromise. Unfortunately, we can't have the lavish minute to minute and a half numbers like we used to. Again, advertisers.

Ehh... It's bland and a little too The Office-y, and remember that show ended at least 2 years ago (maybe going on 3) and lost relevance 2 years before that. If that's the title, it's going to be unfortunate and confused with the movie of the same name. But I think the name works better for a show than a movie, and couldn't think of a better title if I tried. Would have been nice to keep the original TMS font, though. But this is just the title and title screen of a pilot. I'm not going to nitpick or condemn the show for one tiny thing.

dwayne1115 likes this.
  16. dwayne1115

That is not the first time they used that kind of font. They used it for Letters to Santa as well.

17. mr3urious

mr3urious Well-Known Member

Preschool shows, at least on Disney Junior, seem to be exempt from this. I think this is mainly because the networks would get a lot of crap from parental groups if they advertised to their little ones.

It's also the same font used on the Muppets Studio logo.

18. LaRanaRene

It doesn't seem Muppety to me, if you know what I mean. It makes it look more like a show about the Muppets rather than a show starring the Muppets. Does that make any sense?

19. D'Snowth

Really? It even has to look like THE OFFICE logo? Now I can only imagine if it does have a theme song what it will sound like.

20. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Can we just remember that this was what ended up being "The Muppets"....