New Muppet Pilot in Development by Randall Einhorn (The Office, Modern Family) for ABC

charlietheowl

Reaction score
Pictures! Sweetums! I'm trying to contain my excitement on this, knowing how tough the TV industry is, but I so badly want this to get picked up. A Muppets variety/sitcom like this is probably my Muppet dream project, and it could happen.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Lets just hope that this pilot has a better start then say The Muppet Show did. Having two plots shot and still no one wanting it.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
It is even worse when you hear people bashing the laugh track or live studio audience, I mean compare Modern Family to The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family almost has a lack of color, and errie pauses that make you think someone is supposed to laugh, but The Big Bang Theory looks vibrant, and welcoming, just my opinion, but I would watch a multi camera sitcom over a single camera sitcom.
I don't watch either of those shows, but I do know exactly what you mean, because even though M*A*S*H had a laugh track, the producers didn't want it, so the DVDs give you the option to watch without the laugh track, and you're right, the show takes on a whole different pace without the laugh track: slow, clumsy, lots of pauses of eerie silence.

Drtooth

Reaction score
By no means do I dislike the theatrical quality of these laugh trackless sitcoms. Are there a lot of them? Sure. I don't think adding canned chuckles would improve them. The pauses are an essential part of humor, and fake guffaws are essentially lull destruction. My beef is with the ones that still use it (or a live audience) and don't know how to use it properly. A painfully bad series will just go for the cheap laughs and one liners, some straight from the 90's. Not that there aren't ones that use those right. Say what you will about Big Bang, at least Chuck Lorre still knows how those sort of things work. Then there's How I Met Your Mother where the laugh track is so not intrusive (is there such a word as trusive?), I kept forgetting it even had one every week. The Millers, sadly pulled because it was hurting Scorpion's ratings, also managed to handle laughter right.

But then we have the New Odd Couple and the McCarthy's and stuff like that where it's obvious joke over clever writing and the laughtrack/audience pretty much punctuate how freaking awful the show is.

LaRanaRene

Reaction score
So people, what do you think the show should be called? I think "It's Time To Meet the Muppets" would be a good title.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
So people, what do you think the show should be called? I think "It's Time To Meet the Muppets" would be a good title.
Here are some from me.

Title Suggestions
  • Muppets in Action
  • Muppets (It could be that simple)
  • Modern Muppets
  • Muppeting (Considering the title of black ish, they could put an ish or ing after muppet, and use it)
  • Muppet Business
  • The New Muppet Show
  • Muppets Now
Just some titles that could work.

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I don't watch either of those shows, but I do know exactly what you mean, because even though M*A*S*H had a laugh track, the producers didn't want it, so the DVDs give you the option to watch without the laugh track, and you're right, the show takes on a whole different pace without the laugh track: slow, clumsy, lots of pauses of eerie silence.
Though for whatever reason, The Goldbergs does not seem to have that pace, in my opinion at least, it seems like a multi camera sitcom without a laugh track, though it is one hundred percent single.