1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

New Muppet Pilot in Development by Randall Einhorn (The Office, Modern Family) for ABC

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by Phillip, Apr 2, 2015.

1. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

I think that this is just a rumor , because I went to YouTube to see a video announcing this. and went back to it again and showed something else .

2. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Yeah, because one YouTube video being pulled for a number of different reasons (normally copyright) automatically confirms something that a number of different reputable sources have been revealing to be nothing more than just a rumor.

3. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

Yep. Shut down the thread. Shows over folks. Nothing to see here. ABC was playing a late April Fools Day joke...

Muppet fan 123 and scooterfan360 like this.
  4. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Bingo. It HAS to be Tuesday or Wednesday. For ABC that's the real sweet spot, and I think midweek is the new TGIF(ABCs late 80s/early 90s flagship night of comedies) If they put this on Wednesday, you know they have a lot of confidence in it. The pilot seems like it will be in the "single camera" tradition of The Office, Modern Family, Parks and Rec, etc. But not sure how theyd film it once it goes to a Variety show format. AS LONG as the show doesnt have any of the vibe of that truly terrible Lady Gaga special we'll be good.

5. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

Muppets 2015 anywhere on the flagship ABC Wednesday spot would be GOLD!
    That plus Modern Family and Goldbergs are my favorite comedies on tv, so definitely would be the trifecta.

6. DARTH MUPPET

DARTH MUPPET Active Member

I thought It was going to be a sit com not a variety show?

7. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

People are really exicted about this, on TV By the Numbers, half of the comments are about it, pretty neat.

8. kathy26

kathy26 Member

they talked about it on GMA so it has to be true

WalterLinz and jvcarroll like this.
  9. Iscah

Iscah Active Member

The thing with Walter is - he's Peter Linz's only character at the moment. The new series will be a chance for a few things - Walter settling in to a role in the troupe; introducing new characters (whether recurring or one-shot); bringing back old characters that need new puppeteers....

10. scooterfan360

I will believe this when I see it. they did the same thing, when they announced that the Muppets were going to have a show where they were going to be someone's next door neighbors . and that it was going to air on nbc , and that never happened.

11. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Hadn't heard that one, but yes, back in 2006, Disney was supposedly filming a pilot for a new Muppet show that was supposed to follow the mockumentary style of storytelling ala THE OFFICE in having Kermit reunite the Muppets to put on a new show -- and it got shelved.

Then in 2007 or so, Disney was supposedly working on a new Halloween special with the Muppets, and it too got shelved.

There were a number of projects Disney started work on, only for them to end up getting shelved, so it's understandable to doubt word of an upcoming project: I waited for THE MUPPETS (2011) to actually come out before I actually put any faith in Disney regarding the Muppets, and then we got MMW, now we've got other projects coming out too, so it's safe to say that Disney seems to finally struck a chord with the Muppets to continue to utilize them to some potential. I'm not saying there isn't a chance that this too will be shelved, but considering how it's taken all these years for Disney to fulfill promises to us, I think the chances of this being shelved are a lot slimmer now than they were had they announced this pilot ten years ago.

WalterLinz and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  12. scooterfan360

well I still doubt this will happen , but anyway they were going to do some kind show that had Muppet's living next door to someone , and it took place in palm springs and that it was not going to be Kermit and company . it was going to have some whatnot type Muppets. by the way, I hope that abc do not cancel the middle. I like that show .

13. LaRanaRene

LaRanaRene Well-Known Member

Droop, Mildred, and Beautiful Day Monster. The Muppets are almost always happy, so it could be nice to see a depressed guy there, so Droop could do. Mildred Huxtetter could work as another female lead like Miss Piggy, and maybe could even take the role of Hilda in Season One. Beautiful Day Monster is one of my favorite characters, he could work as a stagehand.

14. Oscarfan

Oscarfan Well-Known Member

That is the most Muppet Central post I've ever read.

cjd874, FunnyBear, LaRanaRene and 3 others like this.
  15. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

MT is a good example of what worked and what didn't. Trying to copy TMS with different characters was the thing that didn't work. Heck, trying to copy Arsenio Hall (years after he was cancelled) didn't work. The interview stuff felt completely awkward and out of place. What did work was when they finally had character driven plotlines. You know, just as the show ended. One could only imagine had the show gone further what they could have done.

I really hope that they learn the mistakes from that series if a pilot is happening. No in name only sketch continuations like Deep Dish 9 was.

Duke Remington likes this.
  16. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

Muppets Tonight/Henson Hour
    What worked:
    • Sketch comedy format
    • Mostly strong direction
    • Behind the scenes antics
    • Inclusion of Kermit as the frog in charge
    • Musical numbers
    • New Muppets

Muppets Tonight/Henson Hour
    What didn't work:
    • Humor was often hit-or-miss (particularly from some of the newer MT writers)
    • Inconsistent chemistry among the Muppet cast
    • Clifford took over Kermit's job in MT. That's a non-starter
    • New Muppets took too much time from classic Muppets. Clifford is a beautiful puppet with a wonderful performer, but he's a dull character.
    • The lack of Electric Mayhem. They ARE the Muppet house band - always
    • Trying to replace Bunsen and Beaker (with Tales from the Vet and Digit)
    • Bad time slots!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    Duke Remington likes this.
  17. Muppet Master

Muppet Master Well-Known Member

That was not a muppet show, that was just with puppets.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jim-henson-nbc-262544

It had nothing to do with the muppets besides the puppet characters.

18. scooterfan360

19. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Add a mixture of the muppet show and the good episodes of muppets tonight and we'll be fine

20. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

I never really understood why they had to reintroduce Kermit so slowly. Well, other than the fact it was obvious Steve wasn't really comfortable as Kermit for a little while. There were bits in MT where he pretty much got him (only to lose him again in the following movie). But I don't think we really got Kermit back until VMX. I really get that JHH was all about Henson transitioning away from traditional Muppets. Almost like Solid Foam and Digit were the inbetween of Muppet and Creature Shop. I like what they did with the format, but it was too raw and underdeveloped.

Other than that, I blame a lot of the lack of familiar faces in MT on not yet recasting the characters. I'm sure they could have gotten away with the Mayhem as silent background performers in a musical number. But only Zoot (the one that rarely talks) and Floyd would have been able to say anything. I'm glad that we have recasts for most of the classic characters by now. That frees them up for more usage in the future. Seems now, between the Muppets and Sesame Street, especially Sesame Street, we're seeing understudy performers if anyone leaves or passes on. Look how fast we got the Count back. We didn't even need to wait a season.

cahuenga likes this.