1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Monday August 6 on PBS. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Dismiss Notice

New Muppet series in development for Disney's 2019 streaming service

Discussion in 'Muppet Headlines' started by RealWonderman, Feb 21, 2018.

1. RealWonderman

RealWonderman Well-Known Member

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/disney-planning-muppets-reboot-streaming-service-1086800

Disney's forthcoming direct-to-consumer streaming service is going to be a prime hub for remakes, reboots and all manner of familiar IP, at least according to early buzz about its initial film and television slate.

Headed by OTT programming chief Agnes Chew, the as-yet-unnamed service — envisioned as a competitor to Netflix — will be a home for family-friendly fare including Marvel feature films and such TV series as a live-action Star Wars (with multiple variations already in the works, per CEO Bob Iger) and, sources tell THR, a reboot of The Muppets.

Disney acquired The Muppets Studio in 2004 and most recently attempted to revive Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy and company on the small screen with a critically panned ABC comedy that was canceled after one season in 2016. A search for a writer for the new take is underway.

Prof Bunsen, ryan19 and Froggy Fool like this.
  2. RealWonderman

http://uproxx.com/tv/muppets-show-disney-streaming-service/

It’s still unclear what format a Muppets reboot would take (hopefully less behind-the-scene late-night jokes, and more things exploding for no reason), but maybe Kermit can call up his good friend Luke Skywalker to guest star in the premiere. Synergy!

http://www.syracuse.com/celebrity-n...sy_muppets_reboot_young_thug_name_change.html

'Muppets' reboot
    Another "The Muppets" reboot is on the way after ABC's more grown-up comedy series failed to impress fans in 2016. THR sources say Disney, which acquired The Muppets Studio in 2004, is planning a new TV series for its upcoming streaming service aimed at competing with Netflix next year. Details are scarce, but other rumored projects include a "Monsters, Inc." series, a "High School Musical" reboot, a "Mighty Ducks" TV show, and new versions of family films like "The Parent Trap," "Father of the Bride" and "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids."

3. RealWonderman

4. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

So, in other words, unless you happen to have Disney's new streaming service, not everybody's going to see it.

ConsummateVs likes this.
  5. RealWonderman

Yes. They are moving all of the Marvel shows and movies, as well as the Disney movies to this platform as well. Like Netflix but all Disney, Marvel, Fox.

6. RealWonderman

7. RealWonderman

BEST NEWS IN A LOOOOOOOOOONG TIME!!! I can't wait! I wonder if it will be a variety show, or "Up Late with Miss Piggy" with all of the classic skits worked in, like they started doing at the end of the season on the ABC show. Something like that would be ideal, IMO!!!

8. LittleJerry92

LittleJerry92 Well-Known Member

Eh, just wait. It's probably going to end up on piratebay and other websites.

Still, this sounds like really cool news!

9. RealWonderman

I'd prefer a network show as well, but this is the way things are going now, so I'm just gonna go with EXCITED!! TAKE MY MUPPET LOVING MONEY.

MuppetsRule and Pig's Laundry like this.
  10. BlakeConor14

BlakeConor14 Well-Known Member

Very disappointed that it's on the Disney streaming thing I'll just have to go on 123movies to see if I can find it. But on I do hope for those who can watch it will be good.

11. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

Yep, if this is really happening, I don't care what it's on, i'm just excited for a new show. As for the writer, I really hope they pick a Muppet writer to be the head. Not to mention, if they want this to be a success the performers need to have some say in how the characters are portrayed.
    Also, less important wish list: I really hope they keep Miss Piggy's character development from the end of the last show.
    I also really hope that Yolanda, Chip, and Gloria Estefan (penguin) continue as main or recurring characters.
    There were a couple of YT videos that came out last year with Robin and Walter, and those were actually really fun and cute. I'd love for that to continue, although it might not work now that Peter Linz plays both of them. Also, I think Walter still technically being the new kid, it would be interesting if he and Scooter formed a close bond, with them both being kind of nerdy and relatively normal compared to the others. Scooter can kind of help Walter navigate the insanity going on around him.
    I've said this before but, my favorite part of The Muppet Show was not the sketches, but the backstage plots. To me, seeing the characters really play off each other as themselves was always funny and often had the most clever humor in the show. Unfortunately, most of the backstage plots were pushed to the sidelines by the sketches and the guest stars, so as a result they often ended up feeling rushed and anti-climactic. So, if I were in charge of the new show, it would be more of the stuff going on back stage, and maybe like two sketches. I still think exploring the characters' personal lives could be interesting and give them layers, but make it less adult.

12. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

Don't get too bogged down on the whole Disney Streaming Service thing. If you look hard enough, there are always bootlegged versions all over the net.

Anyway, this is exciting. The show just started to improve when it was taken off the air (though admittedly, I enjoyed the entire series). Online streaming definitely seems to be the direction to go, and I think they hold a better chance of renewals in this format.

13. BlakeConor14

Theres a website called 123movies that have near enough all movies and TV shows so it might so the show if it's picked up

14. Pig's Laundry

I usually go to ProjectFreeTV, they have a bunch of links to lots of websites. The only trouble is, they keep changing their domain so it can be hard to find it sometimes.

15. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

I found the 2015 series (and seasons 4 and 5 of the Muppet show) on KissCartoon, and KimCartoon (basically they're the same site). Just give them time, this new series will probably show up there. My thoughts on this? Well, mixed feelings, actually. I'm still not crazy about Matt Vogel's Kermit (and before anyone gets their knickers in a twist about me saying that, I just want to point out it took me two years to get used to Steve Whitmire's Kermit), but I think it's nice they're actually making a new series (calling a reboot, though . . . . I don't really know if that's the right word here).

16. Pig's Laundry

And look at it this way, what better way for a performer to grow with a character than to have them perform on a consistently running TV show, as opposed to just a few talk show appearances a year.

ConsummateVs likes this.
  17. BlakeConor14

Yeah that's what I'm thinking is it a new series completely or is it rebooting the show in 2015

18. ErinAardvark

ErinAardvark Well-Known Member

That's true. I'll get used to it, eventually, I'm sure about that.

19. BlakeConor14

I'll agree matt as kermit talking normally is still a strange thing for my ears but when he sings he sounds fantastic

20. Pig's Laundry

Even then, I don't think any of the Muppet shows have ever technically had different canons from each other, aside from Muppet Babies.
    The movies, on the other hand are a totally different situation.