New Muppet Stuff

Muppet Master

Reaction score
I feel like we're in the early 2000s again in terms of muppet development and popularity. It's sad because just a while back we had a new movie and it was the muppet renaissance. Even when that didn't do well, we got a new tv show, and then that didn't do well, and it's just kind of been a dark-ish time for muppets. Sure, we have some youtube videos and the occasional talk show appearance, but for the most part, nothing much.

So when do you guys think we'll see a new movie or TV show, probably not in the near future imo.

MikaelaMuppet

Reaction score
I feel like we're in the early 2000s again in terms of muppet development and popularity. It's sad because just a while back we had a new movie and it was the muppet renaissance. Even when that didn't do well, we got a new tv show, and then that didn't do well, and it's just kind of been a dark-ish time for muppets. Sure, we have some youtube videos and the occasional talk show appearance, but for the most part, nothing much.

So when do you guys think we'll see a new movie or TV show, probably not in the near future imo.
I think we will. Maybe the Muppets crossing over with Sesame Street in something.

BlakeConor14

Reaction score
I definitely would not saythat this is the Muppet dark ages because we have a lot to look forward too. There's the Hollywood bowl thing (no idea what it is as I'm from England) Muppet babies in 2018 and the stuff at Disney world and hey if you had told us in 2010 that the electric mayhem would perform live at a concert and 1000s would attend we'd have laughed at you
So lots have happened and lots still to come

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score

Well, while the show and the movie weren't very successful, they, along with the 2011 movie, still gave the franchise a good amount of exposure. So, they haven't been forgotten. They're definitely way more popular right now than they were in 2003, and unlike the JHC, Disney has the money to market well. People still want to see the Muppets in something good, but I think it's just a matter of good marketing and finding a project that fits well for the characters. So, I at least doubt that we'll have to wait another decade for a new major production. And maybe that new Muppet Babies show will lead to other exciting new things.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
Sorry to double post but, I have a theory. I mentioned this on another thread at some point, but- I think after the 2011 movie was a success, Disney should have immediately tried to capitalize on that success. They should've had more merchandise, started working on a TV show to keep people interested while there were no movies. And than, if the TV show had been successful, than i'm sure Muppets Most Wanted would've made more money. Instead, we had to wait over two years for a sequel to a movie that was only a moderate success compared to the company's other films in the first place, so people stopped caring.
Basically, what i'm saying is, they can't just put out movies and expect them to be a success. The movies should be a reward for their success, not the other way around. That's why The Muppet Movie did so well, because it came when The Muppet Show was at the height of it's popularity.