1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

New Muppets Interstitial Series on Disney Junior 2015

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by WalterLinz, Oct 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

1. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I consider both Muppet Mindset and Muppet Stuff the best thing to happen to online Muppet fandom since the original late 90s MC site. More so actually as it's regularly updated. We were waiting years for a daily, regular professionally ran fun Muppet and JHC world related blog. I rarely come on forums and such so it's great so see all these disparate news or happenings get put into one area. And as much as I've had personal issues with TP long ago, the creation of the Muppet Wiki I think is the absolute greatest fan generated thing for all things JHC, pretty much ever.

But I do agree about doomsaying and negativity just for the sake of it. I'm often a doomsayer when I see a lot of things indicating bad decisions, but try and look for positive things in any production be it a commercial, short, special or film.
    I'm strong in my view that Disney has failed the fans with a lack of merchandise as well as any indication of things fans want(new series, the rest of the seasons of TMS or other Muppet shows/specials on the home market) but I also am always ready to be pleasantly surprised at out the blue news. Heck a small part of me is hopeful that the latest FR film news pans out even or the eventual Muppet broadway play.

2. jvcarroll

jvcarroll Well-Known Member

I'm not a big fan of these, but I kind of see what they're possibly trying to do. Instead of some poorly written, expensive Studio DC production, they're just talking with kids around the age that they'll be transitioning from Sesame Street. That's actually a smart strategy - as long as the real Muppet projects in the future contain the classic humor we've come to expect.

We complain when Disney lets these characters disappear between projects. Well, now they're going to basketball games and making these weird little Disney Jr pieces. They're networking. These are certainly not the areas of most interest to us, but they already have us. These are the areas where they need to reach out. Not enough kids wanted to go see MMW or had much of a connection to the gang. Do we forget that most of us fell in love with these characters as youngsters? This, as cringeworthy as it may seem, might remedy that.

This is not a "totally awful idea" in my assessment. It's actually a good strategy that could have been done better. We'll see what the next things look like. The Muppets have a way of surprising fans. I'm waiting for that.

Let's keep in mind, along with the kid videos, they're also doing these:

3. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

It has already been discussed that the music and celebrity copyrights and whatnot are what's keeping the rest of TMS from getting onto DVD. It's not Disney's fault--they know that the entire world wants of rest of the show on DVD, but it's very difficult when whoever the rights-holders are decide to be heartless and stingy by not coughing up the licenses needed in order to release everything in their entirety, which we all know is what Disney wants to do so they won't have to upset the fans further by cutting out specific songs and scenes like they had to do with the Season 1 set.

Even though I do agree that it's frustrating waiting for all that to come to fruition (especially considering the fact that Lylle Brier announced Season 4's release back at the 2009 D23 Expo), it's best to still keep all the other factors in mind.

Heck, we could also hope that these Disney Jr. shorts will make more kids and other younger fans want to go to the store and buy Muppet DVD's, thus increasing the chances of Seasons 4 and 5 (and possibly other old school Muppet material) coming on DVD sooner than later, making them think that it would equal more DVD units sold if the kids watch these shorts and then go out to the stores hoping to find more Muppet content to watch. You never know...

Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

While I tend to agree, there's also the "Jim Henson didn't personally do it himself, so it has to suck and I refuse to give it any regard and belittle anyone who doesn't agree with me because I am smarter than anyone because of how loud and negative I am." Which is just as bad, if not worse. There's a middle ground of "this doesn't work, feel free to disagree" that's lost. It's either high praise or self righteous lambasting. There is no between.

Seriously? "This is a terrible idea and everyone who thinks otherwise is wrong?" Not "I don't like this, but I'm also going to ignore it" or "if they don't make anything else, I won't complain that the characters are gone." He did not say "I'm not for this, but if you like it, more power too you." I got "I are smarterer than anyone because negative is smart." The same garbage that I hate from any fandom.

Seriously. By this point, if Geewunners don't like a single thing they've been doing, by all means stop watching. And stop commenting.

First off, exactly. The "this food is terrible and such small portions" argument for the Muppets is just... either you want to see new projects or you don't. Not everything's going to be right out of the gate amazing, nor is it going to right off the bat be awful. I quite like the concept of trying to get younger audiences to like the Muppets so they can at the very least sell more DVD's of movies and keep the characters in the public eye.

Secondly... why on Earth do we keep forgetting These were made?! They're the most juvenile thing the Muppets ever did, and sanctioned by Henson himself. I'm basically hearing "The Muppets sold out to preschoolers" while willfully ignoring...

[​IMG]

That exists, and all the whining about Disney in the world won't make it not exist. And JIM was behind it. A video for 3 year olds called "Peek a Boo."

Thirdly, while there are members that still remember the Post-Jim years, I feel that the problem is that Disney owns them and it is no longer a family owned business. One that certainly lacked leadership, vision, or business sense. I hate getting on this old soapbox and all, but really!?! Anyone expect the Muppets to do better at can't get a movie off the ground, made horrible Shrek knockoffs, gives licenses to crappy toy companies for ugly high end merchandise that's impossible to find, SOLD the Muppets of their own accord Henson? After all the crap that went down with the Fraggle Rock movie and the Executive Slaughtering that thing got? Disney may not be shoving Muppets up in yo beak 24/7, but the only branch of Henson that's doing things right is whatever one licenses them out to comic books. That's one up on them. We got Unproduced Henson Scripts in graphic novel form and no regular Muppet comic. We got 2 movies out of Disney when Henson was struggling with multiple projects for decades. Debatable on the quality, but I doubt Henson would have done anything better, considering their...um... last Muppet project (we all know what that was, it doesn't bare repeating).

Lastly, yeah... I really want more Muppet viral videos. Even SW manages to get some great Cookie Monster stuff out there. I agree that there's no reason to stop them completely since they won awards and got more interest than the films gave them. That's for the casuals that buy the occasional Kermit T shirt (to wear once), spell it (grrrrrrrrr) "Fozzy," and wonder who the two guys in the Balcony's names are.

5. Iscah

Iscah Active Member

(People, please stop complaining about other forums. I'm on the other forum. It's not as bad as you're making out - and anyway, if you don't like their discussion, that's why you are here and not there.)

6. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Don't know if I'm missing the point, but Henson still owns the rights to that one. Though I doubt Disney would have made it available by now if Disney got the rights.

7. Drtooth

Yes.

You are missing the point. Sorry.

Now, if I have to remake my point it's that certain Muppet fans like to call out a certain project for turning the Muppets into baby fare. Be it Muppet Babies, The Muppets on Wheels type sing along videos, KSY, Classics theater, these interstitials, even Sesame Street itself. There will be some detractors that will constantly bring those up yet conveniently forgets this specifically for small children video series that Jim totally signed on for. And while the quality and intended age of these videos tend to vary, I think we can all agree that a video Henson made directly for babies is the ultimate low point. I mean, check out the description:

Eerily like those Baby Einstein videos that have been proven to not work at all. So yeah, even Jim managed to make misfires. I'm certain that this tape was far higher quality than the Einstein videos, and it wasn't aggressively marketed to adults as "HEY! Make your dumb baby smarter so he becomes a fully licensed doctor at age 5," which was snake oil selling at its finest.

But yeah. Disney Jr interstitials... by the way, anyone actually see what Disney Junior actually airs now? It's pretty HIGH quality stuff like Sophia the First, Miles from TomorrowLand, and 7D, with none of the Dora wannabe notes of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.... but interstitials during that sort of stuff may be on the juvenile side of things, but it's freaking hardcore compared to a lowpoint in the Henson era. Doesn't matter who owns the rights to it or the fact Kermit and Co aren't anywhere near it.

Duke Remington likes this.
  8. scooterfan360

scooterfan360 Well-Known Member

9. scooterfan360

hi this is the real scooterfan360 someone i know had got my password some how and copied the way i write and wrote that stuff i would like to apologize on the behalf of them they will not be using my computer ever again nor will i be friends with them ever again. i will be changing my password. so this little muppet website bashing was not done by me.

10. Mr Sweetums

Mr Sweetums Active Member

As a fan of Muppet productions this does not really interest me but as a fan of the franchise it does excite me only because it's supposed to help kids get excited about the Muppets allowing them to make bigger and better things.

These are short Muppet Moments inserted between programs on Disney Junior, this is basically extra "viral videos" for kids airing on Disney Junior, you can probably consider this an advert promoting the Muppets more than anything else.

Now if this was an actual 30 minute show on Disney Junior I wouldn't be so supportive in fact I'd be really angry and disappointed. Since this is not a show and simply short clips with Muppets and Kids, something which wouldn't even bother me if it was a recurring sketch on a new Muppet Show then I'm quite happy to support this.

At the same time I do agree with those who think this is not a step in the right direction, as a fan I'm not that happy about it but as someone who wants to see the Muppets reach a wider audience then I'm very excited.

I also think it's important to remember that Bill Barretta is directing these, the same guy who directed The Muppets Toyota commercials (which in my opinion were incredible). It's not some random guy mixing Muppets with Kids it's someone who knows what he's doing.

When kids start going crazy for Muppets that's when we'll find more Muppet merchandise in The Disney Store than Monster Inc merchandise.

11. Drtooth

I agree to that. I would not want to see a preschool series, no matter how good they've actually become. This isn't a series, but something in the vein of Muppet Time skits on Nick Jr, only with the actual Muppets instead of weird characters they invented. If Disney were purposely pandering to the younger set, I'm sure they'd wind up bringing back Muppet Babies. Something I'm of two minds about.

I do not see this as cynical or poorly conceived as Studio DC, which was an overall reflection of Disney's direction period back in 2005, where Hanna Montana dominated kid's television to the point where we saw horrible live action programming on CN and a huge rise that continues to this day of horrible tweencoms on Nickelodeon.

That said, if Disney shoved The Muppets into an episode of Dog with a Blog or Indistinguishable Kid's Sticom No. 435/G19, then I'd be inclined to go with the "I've predetermined to hate it" mentality some members have.

Duke Remington likes this.
  12. scooterfan360

i wish so much that brian henson would buy back the muppets , and run things just like his father did.And that kevin and frank would comeback to the muppets and set things right again . disney brought the muppets, and now do not know what to do with them . I don't think The muppets style fits with kids , their
    cabaret style of entertainment, Do not fit childrens programing.

13. Duke Remington

Duke Remington Well-Known Member

Looks like your account is still getting hacked.

Besides, those are all incredibly stupid things to say and saying things like that is wishing death on the Muppets, since Henson can't do anything right or get anything done. And stop asking for Frank, Kevin, et al. to come back--it's not going to happen and it will not necessarily make things right again! And take back what you said about their style not fitting kids either, as you missed the point of what DrTooth said! :rolleyes:

jvcarroll and dwayne1115 like this.
  14. dwayne1115

dwayne1115 Well-Known Member

Are some of you all sure you are Muppet fans? I mean I get the Disney hate to some extent but the way some of you all talk the Muppets can flat out do nothing right anymore. So again I ask are you all sure your Muppet fans?

Duke Remington and cahuenga like this.
  15. scooterfan360

okay first of all what i meant by that, is that brian should take over and revamp the muppets how they use to be. second it never hurt to wish for kevin or frank to return . third what i meant by the muppets style of entertainment not fitting the kids , is that their entertainment fits kids a little bit older like the nickeloadeon age group not the nick jr age group .you know the kids that out grew sesame street, and other preschool stuff. and are looking for something fun to watch, and are not quite ready for the teen shows like degrassi ect.. that age group. finally someone i know really did get my password, and wrote that stuff. And i'm still really upset about that , so don't make fun of that . I really did change my password, because of that person. and what i said I did not mean it in a harsh way, so don't go all postal. And what do you mean by brian can't do anything right ? what has he done wrong ?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  16. Drtooth

Brian hasn't run Henson for years. There's also that.

The problem with Henson is a glaring one. I like that they're ambitious, don't get me wrong, but why must they constantly look for so many projects when they can't get a single one that isn't a CGI kid's show off the ground? Then there is the matter of not finding a good business partner to help produce and distribute some of their projects. There was the unspeakable one that just wanted Shrek knockoffs from them, then there was Lionsgate, which only released a few old specials and nothing else (not for nothing, though. We're very grateful for that). Seems their best partner is Boom/Archaia, but all they do is comic books. I really can't blame Henson for not finding a willing partner, but they need to sell themselves better to get one.

Duke Remington and cahuenga like this.
  17. scooterfan360

right they do , and asap. disney is trying to point the muppets in the right direction, i think that they need some help in doing that.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  18. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

I've long ago lost care/interested in TMS Season 4/5. I think most people who really wanted 4 and 5 just torrented them awhile back. But I find rather lame is that there's such a wealth of stuff Disney DOES have the full copyright to Muppet wise(specials, series, etc) and Im guessing will never see the home market. Again Lionsgate released a ton of Henson/Muppet related dvds in just a couple years, and Disney has simply rereleased the movies. I mean who wouldnt want a $5 Muppets at Walt Disney World dvd? They could seem em at the check out counter at Wal Mart.

19. Drtooth

There's a wealth of non-Muppet Disney owned stuff that they're sitting on as well. Even big Marvel based stuff. Disney just doesn't think DVD's of anything that isn't a movie isn't profitable. They did oddly release the last Talespin and a huge second volume of Goof Troop episodes with little fanfare. Even then, they were Disney movie club exclusives that they gave a retail release. I don't think Disney's in the market for releasing many of its old specials to DVD either. I'd rather see them make some deal with Netflix or something and stream some of the Muppet stuff they couldn't release to video.\

As for the merchandising, other than their own retail stores, I'd blame it on the lack of interest on the part of retailers. Glad that Hallmark has a line of stuff and that TRU had those puppets, but it's a shame they didn't step up with other stores. They need to keep releasing stuff like T-shirts and keychains to get the casual fans back in there.

Mr Sweetums likes this.
  20. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

Are we sure that the series will premiere tomorrow? It's not showing up in my guide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.