New Regency Lands ‘Fraggle Rock’ Feature Rights Auction

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This thing has been in the works since 2005! It's approaching the seven-year mark soon! All of the crucial information is listed in the Muppet Wiki. I have no doubt the film will eventually get made, but there's no need to promote or dismiss anything yet. It's back at square one again.

dwmckim

Reaction score
LOVE the new avatar - frogboy4!!! Though that style of costume always reminds me of pretty much what your Muppets Eating Muppets tshirt depicts!

beaker

Reaction score
JHC should have just made a direct to dvd 45 minute Fraggle "movie" or special in 2007 or 2008 and let it be that.

I will never watch, nor let my kid watch a cgi over live action film. They're horrible horrible horrible. I don't mind all cgi films, but just the site of films like Smurfs, Hop, Alvin, Garfield, Yogi Bear, Hop, etc make me want to vomit. If a new Turtles film is done in that way Im staying far away.

Every year we will hear fun little tantalizing tidbits re: fraggle rock "movie" and dark crystal 2. BOTH shoulda been straight to video low budget specials. Im actually surprised Pajanimals is getting picked up as very little stuff JHC announces sees the light of day

Drtooth

Reaction score
I will never watch, nor let my kid watch a cgi over live action film. They're horrible horrible horrible. I don't mind all cgi films, but just the site of films like Smurfs, Hop, Alvin, Garfield, Yogi Bear, Hop, etc make me want to vomit. If a new Turtles film is done in that way Im staying far away.
I have no doubt that, much like Jimmy Neutron and Barnyard, it will be a completely CGI film that will serve as the pilot to the CGI cartoon series. So far I have been impressed with the new IDW TMNT comics (getting Kevin Eastman back and all, he's clearly more hungry for the project than Peter ever was... I love the guys and all, but Peter was becoming a REAL tool as of late). I just don't know what the cartoon will hold as of yet. Other than Rob Paulsen's back, but doing Donatello's voice now.

Though, while I do dislike that style of CGI/Live action movie, I doubt that a Fraggle Rock film will be one, unless Henson screws things up so bad New Regency makes their OWN Fraggle Rock movie.

Every year we will hear fun little tantalizing tidbits re: fraggle rock "movie" and dark crystal 2. BOTH shoulda been straight to video low budget specials. Im actually surprised Pajanimals is getting picked up as very little stuff JHC announces sees the light of day
A Low budget (or as low as it can go having to rebuild dozens of Puppets and sets) Fraggle Rock DTV project would work... A Dark Crystal one would not. To say the least the fortune it would cost to rebuild very complicated Puppets, VS the more simplistic Fraggles.

What I think Henson dropped the ball with is NOT making special Red Fraggle viral videos. How is it that Disney had more of a Henson-esque vision than Henson? Jim would have jumped on Viral videos the second they hit.

As for this film... it all depends on how much of a say Henson has, who's going to write the script, and who's going to direct. I liked Corey Edwards's passion about NOT Shrek-ing out the film, and his firm stand in the ground against a robot sidekick (which works for the Muppets, as this wasn't the first Robot they hung out with :electric: ...even he wasn't)... but for a bunch of characters in their own little world that know nothing of us and make funny assumptions, that's out of place.

And again, I have to defend him on the grounds that Weinstine royally screwed up Hoodwinked 2, by taking it out of his hands and futzing with it. Could you imagine what they would have done with it?

Slackbot

Reaction score
Well, it's good that the rights are out of Weinstein's hands. What will happen with New Regency? My reaction is 100% "wait and see." Best-case scenario is they would realize how beloved the Fraggles are and that this is their chance to make up for certain other fiascos. I need not talk about worst-case scenarios, as many others are quite willing to take that burden.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Still, you gotta wonder why they made a Marmaduke movie.

I mean, Alvin and the Chipmunks have always been around in some form, as is Garfield (those Garfield movies are dead to me because they ruined Jon Arbuckle). But Marmaduke? A comic from the 50's that wasn't even funny then, and had a TERRIBLE one season cartoon in the 1980's, where he shared billing with the superior Heathcliff? A comic strip that no one under the age of 60 gives a rat's fez about? Yeah, Garfield and Heathcliff had their "this stopped being funny" moments from people, but those same people LOVED their cartoon series (though, with Heathcliff, I think people love the OTHER cats on the show better... I tend to like both). And Garfield is pretty iconic, even if he isn't as relevant as he used to be as some claim.

beaker

Reaction score
Yeah...why make all the viral videos of HA(henson alternative) stuff on the JHC channel, but NOT A SINGLE Red or Uncle Matt viral video? JHC, come on man. You own the rights to it. You clearly have rebuilt a couple of the puppets. Why not take them around LA or a soundlot like you have with HA characters?

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's such a waste just to have Red and Karen come out every time Archaia has a comic book to promote on Free Comics Day (and especially since we haven't seen volume 3 yet... didn't get the Halloween free issue) and ComiCon, but not to have viral videos of her just goofing off.

I think it could be a stretch to get a new Gobo, Wembely, Boober, Mokey, and Uncle Matt rebuilt just for new virals, as it would cost a fortune... but they really should get more of these guys built and ready just in case. Worst case scenario, more Fraggles at ComiCon, more Fraggles to do virals of.

Why they're not making Uncle Matt viral postcards (but thankfully at least releasing older European exclusive ones redubbed) is beyond me... and a TOTAL waste.

BobThePizzaBoy

Reaction score
It's such a waste just to have Red and Karen come out every time Archaia has a comic book to promote on Free Comics Day (and especially since we haven't seen volume 3 yet... didn't get the Halloween free issue) and ComiCon, but not to have viral videos of her just goofing off.

I think it could be a stretch to get a new Gobo, Wembely, Boober, Mokey, and Uncle Matt rebuilt just for new virals, as it would cost a fortune... but they really should get more of these guys built and ready just in case. Worst case scenario, more Fraggles at ComiCon, more Fraggles to do virals of.

Why they're not making Uncle Matt viral postcards (but thankfully at least releasing older European exclusive ones redubbed) is beyond me... and a TOTAL waste.
I recall someone at Henson saying a few years ago that if any Fraggle puppet besides Red gets re-built, it would be Uncle Matt. Why they haven't done that yet? I don't know.

Mupp

Reaction score
I'm not sure how many of you saw this, but here are Mr. Edward's most recent thoughts on the Fraggle Rock movie news;
http://coryedwards.com/?p=546

*Sigh*

Poor Cory. :cry:
Poor Henson.:cry:
Poor Fraggle fans. :cry:

This new news is interesting, but I'm with Drtooth. The movie will most likely never happen.

I'm sorry, but Henson (and the Weinstein Company) really blew it big time.

Meanwhile, "The Muppets" is being released in less than 30 days.
Looks like the Disney muscle helps.
Kind of funny to look back on the Weinstein thread and see how at the beginning hope for the Fraggles was high and people were worried about the lack of promotion for the Muppets movie, and in approximately the following month, promotion for The Muppets exploded and continued non-stop.

By the way, speaking of film's based on childhood classics, did any of you hear that an animated film is being made from Dr. Suess' 'The Lorax'?

I've seen the trailer and I'm actually very intrigued. Hopefully the don't mess with the book's message.

I'm sure the trailer will be shown before "The Muppets".