1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

New SST Documentary based on "Street Gang" in Production

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by Pig's Laundry, Apr 1, 2016.

1. ShMuppetgal96

ShMuppetgal96 Member

:(:grouchy::insatiable::batty::laugh:Really excited! Maybe a couple behind the scenes footage and interviews? Not just with the humans!

2. Pig's Laundry

Pig's Laundry Well-Known Member

From the movie's official Twitter:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  3. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Even though I usually prefer hardback books, I have to admit, the paperback edition of STREET GANG had a much nicer-looking cover.

Colbynfriends likes this.
  4. Pig's Laundry

It's the first major article about the movie. It includes a video of the executive producer on the set of Sesame Street, with very brief clips of vintage never before seen behind the scenes footage :
    http://www.ew.com/article/2016/10/18/street-gang-documentary-sesame-street
    They're starting an "Indiegogo" campaign to get the project off the ground.

But here's what really caught my eye: If they reach their goal, they plan to build a replica of the original Sesame Street set! Now, just imagine getting to see a real life version of the season 1 set in person, maybe at a museum. This needs to happen.

5. zns

zns Well-Known Member

This is wonderful news. Just looking at that campaign video makes me even more excited. I placed my contribution to "I Am Big Bird : the Caroll Spinney Story" and I intend to support this film all the way. Wonderful news. Can't wait to see more. :insatiable::wisdom::p:(:grouchy::super::batty::search:

MikaelaMuppet and Pig's Laundry like this.
  6. D'Snowth

The fact that they're going through the effort of actually replicating the Season 1 set is quite remarkable, and I'm most interested in seeing how that will look when it's completed!

Yorick and Pig's Laundry like this.
  7. cjd874

cjd874 Well-Known Member

News coverage from Tough Pigs! Look at that classic footage in the campaign video. They're even going to recreate the Pinball Number Count, Jazz Spies, and Numerosity/Henson Number films. I'm very excited for this. Hope that people can make donations to the campaign.
    http://www.toughpigs.com/street-gang-fundraiser/

MikaelaMuppet and Pig's Laundry like this.
  8. MuppetSpot

MuppetSpot Well-Known Member

I honestly want to see the Green Grover figurine is it just a PVC or an actual action figure.

9. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I'd rather they show the actual clips than do new animations based on the old ones (could this be to make them better for a widescreen film?).

I wonder if they'll interview Kevin Clash, or even talk about his departure (the book barely talked about any recasts, and didn't really talk much about the show after season 30, only briefly mentioning Abby Cadabby and the upcoming 40th anniversary). I doubt they'd go into major details.

It would be great if the film had focus on Richard Hunt, like the book does. Also Jerry Nelson, considering his recent passing. Of course a book can include more than a documentary can (I hope the pre-history doesn't dominate the documentary like it did in the book).

I wonder if it'll be newly-sculpted or just a repaint of an existing toy.

10. Pig's Laundry

You know what I would like even better then a documentary?: A mini series - there's just so much to cover about Sesame Street's history, it would probably be better if it was maybe a two or three part mini series. That way they could cover more of what was in the book.

11. D'Snowth

That actually wouldn't be a bad idea. Perhaps like Part 1 could be the origins of SST, leading up to its first season; Part 2 could be the show finding its footing and reaching out to disadvantaged children throughout the 70s; Part 3 could be the show's rising success throughout the 80s; Part 4 could be all of the shake-ups and the different turns it started to take in the 90s; Part 5 could be how it continues to try to maintain its relevance in a world filled with alternative educational shows up till today.

12. minor muppetz

minor muppetz Well-Known Member

I believe I've talked about that idea on the forum before. What I'd really like is a Toonheads-style documentary series on Sesame Street, with each episode focusing on a different thing (people who worked on the show, characters, eras, recurring segments).

13. Pig's Laundry

MikaelaMuppet likes this.
  14. sesamemuppetfan

sesamemuppetfan Well-Known Member

Me likey!!

15. antsamthompson9

antsamthompson9 Well-Known Member

JimAndFrank and MikaelaMuppet like this.
  16. D'Snowth

I forgot to ask, is this going to be another one of those deals like Being Elmo and I Am Big Bird where this will only receive a limited release? I mean, I'm sure I'll get to see it eventually, but it'd be kind of nice if something like this could have a wider release in cities that aren't New York and L.A.

17. Pig's Laundry

We don't yet know the nature of this project. Could be a mini series, could be a made for TV thing, or it could be a limited theater release like IABB and BE, we don't know yet.

18. capman

capman Member

I am shocked that I am the only one to take advantage of the PREMIERE party special where a lot of the sesame folks might be. It started at $1500,then went to $500 and for this Black Friday weekend deal, it is $150! U get the party and the stuff underneath. I asked them via twitter where the part will be held and they said most probably NY.

Seriously,gang, grab this now!

$150

USD

+ Shipping
    COME TO THE PREMIERE

TWO tickets to the premiere of the film and meet the Muppets after party! Travel to/from premiere city and event location, hotel and any other expenses incurred with attending the event are NOT included.
    Items included:
    • Social Media Thank You
    • SG Insider - Exclusive Updates
    • Premiere Tickets

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/street-gang-a-documentary-on-sesame-street-education/x/15402257#/

MikaelaMuppet and gavry3 like this.
  19. D'Snowth

Some people don't have the luxury to be able to travel to NYC. :smirk:

20. capman

capman Member

Oh i hear ya, because if it goes to CA, I wont be going either ( UNLESS They say Frank OZ is going, then maybe I need to hop a plane!)