New XBox One features revealed

Slackbot

Reaction score
Meh. I play games on my PS2. There are PS1 games I still enjoy. I have an Xbox--the first one--and maybe it has seen 10 hours of play in the years I've had it. Nothing made me feel I really needed to get any of the current generation of consoles, and with all the nonsense about being forced to be online and one-owner-only games, I'm not likely to bother with any of the new platforms.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
I wouldn't so much call those innovations as much as... well... this is a family site... It rhymes with Duck Sue... all I can say.

Cracked sums it up nicely

This is why I hate the new era video game market. They want to find greedier ways to get you stuck with terrible games. That way, they don't have to even make them good or enjoyable. I'll take second screen with bad battery life over that anyday.
Haha, yeah I saw that article today. It really does sum it up better than I could (considering I'm a gamer and probably wouldn't be able to explain it in a way non gamers could understand XD)

We already have the problem of multiplayer games and their servers being taken down. No server, no multiplayer. Which means no 100% completion for a lot of games. I really don't play multiplayer much anyway. Although I'm a beast at Sega All Stars Racing 1. I wouldn't be surprised if I was mistaken for cheating. But I digress...

I wasn't actually aware that the cloud service meant parts of games would be hosted on a cloud. That's a really bad move. Yeah, it means games can hold more information, but with the track record of day one server crashes, you are going to have a lot of angry people.

mr3urious

Reaction score
Remember when the PS3 was rumored to not allow used games to be played? Well, I'm glad Sony's still abandoned that idea for the PS4.

Drtooth

Reaction score
I swear that the next big thing was supposed to be download only games. I guess that's for the next system. Having to pay fees for used games and a moratorium on borrowing? They clearly thought of Gamefly. It's a butt covering move. Someone once said something on another board about how the video game industry is so good, it's hurting itself. I can totally see it. I know we have to get rid of the big scary pirates that don't really take as much money out of everything as everyone says, but isn't there a less crappy way?

mr3urious

Reaction score
I swear that the next big thing was supposed to be download only games. I guess that's for the next system. Having to pay fees for used games and a moratorium on borrowing? They clearly thought of Gamefly. It's a butt covering move. Someone once said something on another board about how the video game industry is so good, it's hurting itself. I can totally see it. I know we have to get rid of the big scary pirates that don't really take as much money out of everything as everyone says, but isn't there a less crappy way?
If you ask me, anti-piracy measures such as DRM actually encourage piracy because pirated copies of games are far less likely to contain them rather than legal copies purchased fair and square. Great job, guys! :rolleyes:

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
All DRM does is hurt people who get the game normally. Now there are some games that implement things that let you play the game, but make it unwinnable. Thats the kind of protection you really need. There was one game...I forget what, that spawned an unkillable monster at one point. One recent game really stuck it to the pirates. The game in question is a game development sim game. If you are playing a pirated version, at one point, you will lose because pirates stole your developed game XD

mr3urious

Reaction score
Now there are some games that implement things that let you play the game, but make it unwinnable. Thats the kind of protection you really need.
Michael Jackson and vuvuzelas, anyone? :big_grin:

robodog

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you'll spend $60 or so for a game but you won't actually own it or be able to play it whenever you want. If the servers go down and you want to play you're out of luck. If you don't live in a place where you can get a decent internet connection you're also out of luck. Gaming is quickly heading into a place that I really have no interest in following. The Wii will probably be my last system for the forseeable future.

Drtooth

Reaction score
It sounds to me like you'll spend $60 or so for a game but you won't actually own it or be able to play it whenever you want. If the servers go down and you want to play you're out of luck. If you don't live in a place where you can get a decent internet connection you're also out of luck. Gaming is quickly heading into a place that I really have no interest in following. The Wii will probably be my last system for the forseeable future.
I understand the need for anti-piracy measures, but the TRUE problem lies in these little upstart American game companies that make nothing but Shovel-ware. Companies that make those lame Redneck Games and Cold Stone Creamery games... if you're a store or restaurant, there's NO longer any reason to have a console game, especially since you have websites. And the games are barely website quality. It's one thing that games are getting too similar (of course, games were always kinda similar)... but these things that they basically make to shove into 10 dollar bargain bins to be overlooked... they need to STOP making them. There's a difference between tie in merchandise and garbage.

But really... yeah... making players spend 60 bucks on a game they can only play if the server works. Yeah... that'll learn those pirates who would never buy these games legally so they can get back money that doesn't exist.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
Sooooo....

Apparently Microsoft is now backpedaling and saying that the internet connection every 24 hours will NOT be required and that you can now share games. I bet a lot of people feel like this is a victory for them, but I think it shows just how incompetent Microsoft is and that they don't give two squats about the people they are supposed to be there for. Then again, not many do but thats beside the point.

I wanted to see Microsoft tank because of this, but no...legions of fanboys will forgive them.

They obviously DON'T know what people want, despite making all these claims that they built the thing for everyone and its meant to be the one thing that replaces all your things (cable, ect.)

Honestly, the thing still scares me because what a lot of people don't realize is that the built in kinect camera is ALWAYS watching you. That's some potential privacy breaching right there. I can bet that people are going to find a way to remotely hack a system and get the feed. And who knows what Microsoft would actually do with th information. There's no reason why it should ever be on constantly. The Kinect is still universally hated and hardly any games use it.