Ninja Turtles

GWGumby

Reaction score
Originally posted by wolfy
Is anyone here old enough to remember the big squawk that went up when the first movie came out? People were expecting the cartoon Turtles, and they got GREAT ones instead! Parents in many cities were screaming bloody murder over the fact that these TMNT were "violent" and used weapons, and that people were hurt or worse in the movie. I don't know...when my son saw it he was about three or so, and he loved every minute of it.
--wolfy--
I completely remember the uproar over the first movie! I loved the first film. My friends and I went to see it half a dozen times in the first run theater (the first and only movie I did that for.)

Then when it came time to do the second film, they were no longer able to use the weapons they carried. What's the point of being a ninja and carrying a sword if you can only use it to cut a pizza slice? I never understood why people were upset that a movie about *ninjas* had violence. That just doesn't make sense. I understand that it was marketed towards kids, but did any of the parents actually look at the title of the film?

I hear in England there was an even bigger fuss. First they're called Hero Turtles rather than Ninja Turtles. And supposedly weilding num-chucks automatically brands a film into the adult category (the 'R' equivalent, I forget what it is over there) so some heavy editing had to be used to remove certain scenes of offending "martial artistry."

Jackie

Reaction score
Everyone loved the Turtles. They were just such a great idea at the time. I remember my brother and I had all the action figures and the Pizza Thrower was my favorite accessory! I would throw pizzas all over the house and say "COWABUNGA!" LOL!!

wolfy

Reaction score
"Action figures?"

AAUGH!

My son had so many of them I was stepping on Turtles all over the place!

I remember stepping on Raph and nearly killing myself because he hurt my foot so bad, and all my son had to say at the time was, "Mommy! Did you kill my Turtle?"

Boy, the urge to throw...(the toy, not the kid!)

I never understood the problem with the movie, either, especially since it was based on the comic and not the cartoons. And didn't the Turtles use weapons (those long sticks if nothing else) in the cartoons? Okay...not up-to-date on my Ninja terminology...back to school for me!

-- wolfy --

GWGumby

Reaction score
Originally posted by wolfy
I never understood the problem with the movie, either, especially since it was based on the comic and not the cartoons. And didn't the Turtles use weapons (those long sticks if nothing else) in the cartoons? Okay...not up-to-date on my Ninja terminology...back to school for me!

-- wolfy --
They did use weapons, but to destroy robot henchmen or beat on other mutant characters. The movie actually showed violence (although mostly cartoon) to humans which is a no-no in family films.

Rufus

Reaction score
I don't remember the uproar from the first film, but I was a lot younger at the time so I probably just didn't notice or care. I figured something was up though, when the second one came out and they stopped saying "****" and changed "God, I love being a turtle" to "Man, I love being a turtle." I figured parents must have complained about the language in the first one... I was such a smart kid!

Also, was the UK-Nunchucks thing why Mikey stopped using his 'chucks in the cartoon and started using that grappling hook thing all the time? That's the only reason I could think of, but never heard anything officially.

- R -

beaker

Reaction score
>>>Like, sure it's darkier, edgier, but it comes off as dumber, believe it or not, than the other two. It tries too hard. Raphael uttering mild obscenities under his breath and all. They go to the country house and the movie gets boring. The whole thing with the massive arcade and Shredder's minions, etc...silly<<<

That was so great...being a kid from the late 80's(and yes I still wish it was 1989...the Muppets last great year) this movie was like what the MAtrix is to today's youth. A revolution...as someone who was in arcades every day, and romanticising ancient feudal Japan and ninja stuff, this movie was so awesome. To this day I think its one of the best movies Ive ever seen.
As for the swearing, ya have to remember it was perfectly acceptible for a PG kids film to be dark and have swearing. Heck, the original Transformers movie cut has Starscream using the 'F' word.

Then in TMNT 2 they got dumbed down...no more weapons, just Vanilla Ice and bad story arcs. And TMNT 3, ugh.

Anyways, great to hear TMNT is on a comeback!

grail

Reaction score
i thought i'd resurrect this thread just long enough to say that i bought the original movie on DVD this past week because i didn't have it yet and i wanted to before the other two came out. i just finally got a chance to watch it, and something i didn't realize was that Kevin Clash was both one of the Splinter puppeteers but also the voice. this is probably old news, but it'd been so long since i've seen this film that i never caught that before.

now i need the other two movies...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I love the turtles! I think it was one of the best things to come out of the 80s toy licensing phenomenon - made all the better because it was based on a truly original, awesome comic. I was never in to the cartoon - I was a little too old - but my little brother loved it! The toys were great too - I loved that sewer playset.

I think the best movie is the first one, it was the darkest and closest in feel to the comics. The second was pretty good - except they were very paranoid about violence (that's why some of the action was so goofy) and of course, Vanilla Ice was in it. :confused:

While John Woo's company supposedly is still interested in a Turtles CGI project it is apparently DOA. The new TV series looks like it will be good.

Mirage Studios has maintained the official TMNT site through all the turtles ups and downs - it's pretty cool with lots of info on the comics, TV shows, toys and movies. They also carry the TMNT daily strip comic and there are tons of production photos, including a tour of the Chiodo Brothers workshop, where the "Next Mutation" turtle suits were done. It's a must see for TMNT fans.

beaker

Reaction score
>>>i just finally got a chance to watch it, and something i didn't realize was that Kevin Clash was both one of the Splinter puppeteers but also the voice. this is probably old news, but it'd been so long since i've seen this film that i never caught that before<<<

WOW! News to me, and thats my fave film AND one of my fave puppeteers! When I saw it when it came out, I immediately fell in love with it...there was definately JHC and creature shop all over that, but I had no idea there was that deep of a Muppet connection! Hmmm, Star Wars movies, Monsters Inc, the first TMNT...the JHC talent continues to
have its hands in some of the best films ever.

beaker

Reaction score
Good to see this thread kept alive...TMNT have been one of the most influential and important American comic books of the last near two decades. People can have thier Thundercats, Heman, whatever. With the exception of Transformers, Ninja Turtles in my mind is the quintessential definition of rad.

Buck Beaver:>>>I love the turtles! I think it was one of the best things to come out of the 80s toy licensing phenomenon - made all the better because it was based on a truly original, awesome comic. I was never in to the cartoon - I was a little too old - but my little brother loved it! The toys were great too - I loved that sewer playset<<<<

Like Ive said, NOTHING beats the era of the late 80's! And TMNT was a huge part of that. Sadly most kids of the time just knew about the lame Archie comics, but I was very blown away by the mid 80's Mirage Studios stuff.

I think the best movie is the first one, it was the darkest and closest in feel to the comics. <<<

TMNT and The Matrix to me are on my top 5 greatest films Ive ever seen list. I could write page upon page about how great I think the first TMNT was(Along with how lame the rest were)

While John Woo's company supposedly is still interested in a Turtles CGI project it is apparently DOA. The new TV series looks like it will be good.<<<

This is news of GREAT distress. Cory Feldman broke the news on some site, as he was to voice a character on it. this was a pee poor choice, as the few pix I saw put it on apr with the look of Square(Final Fantasy, The Animatrix)

Mirage Studios has maintained the official TMNT site through all the turtles ups and downs - it's pretty cool with lots of info on the comics, TV shows, toys and movies<<<

I dont know about cool... www.ninjaturtles.com is far from keeping things in line with the coolness. If ya go to the site, the actual news stuff hasnt been updated for 5 years, and it has a very archie comics keeping in line with the 80's Fox kids cartoon feel. Theres nothing edgy or keeping in line with the original comics feel. Heck, even the daily strip is right out of the Archie version visual wise. I cant find any news on the John woo cgi or new tv show or licencing. I find that out on www.cinescape.com , the only TMNT source online that's reliable.

I really hope theres a surprise decision and they release the TMNT cgi film at least to dvd if not theatres, as that was on my top 5 films ot look forward to in 2003.
Either way, 2003...look for the return of the Muppets and TMNT!