No mention of proposed Muppet series on FOX

MUPPET FAN

Reaction score
Hello,

FOX just released their new Fall schedule. At the press conference, there was no mention of the proposed new Muppet series. A few mid-season shows were announced, but unfortunately not theirs. I guess we will just have to wait a bit longer.

Side note: "Greg the Bunny"as cancelled.

Take care!

Brian

Salmoto

Reaction score
Dang, I really thought people liked that show. Not that it deserved to be liked, but something's attracting millions of people to the likes of Tom Green and Jimmy Kimmel.

Luke

Reaction score
Well the new Muppet show is not, and never was going to be a Fall show - so thats why its not mentioned. The earliest airdate is apparently March 2003.

As for Greg, I guess that show just how much they care about their shows - and i expect them to treat the Muppets in exactly the same way.

Salmoto

Reaction score
The thing about Fox is that they're always trying out new things. It's commendable for a TV network to do this. However, some of the stuff they air is real bad, so they do away with it quick so they don't lose money. Strangely though, some of their worst programs, like "THat 70s Show" have been on the air for several years. Hah. Well, I guess capitalism doesn't work...

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Dang, I was hoping beyond hope that "Greg the Bunny" wouldn't be canceled.

Well, back to my puppet-less life.

Luke

Reaction score
That 70's Show is pretty cool - Hmmmmmmm Mila Kunis !!!!!!

I bet she'd be more than happy to pose with a Penguin !

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Luke
As for Greg, I guess that show just how much they care about their shows - and i expect them to treat the Muppets in exactly the same way.
Luke

I need to point out that your statement is rather misleading. Fox has a track record of being much more supportive of their programs through hard times as compared to the NBC, CBS and ABC. I do admit that networks can be ruthless when making these decisions and Fox is not exempt from this practice, but they are very supportive of their shows. CBS cancelled failing program, Citizen Baines (which wasn't very good) starring Oscar winner James Cromwell after only two or three airings. Now that's pretty harsh.

I find it extremely pessimitic and unwarranted to claim that The Muppets will be cancelled by Fox even before it goes into production. Such wild speculation just makes no sense to me. I know it will be tough for the Muppets to invent something fresh, but 'you should never bet odds against your friends' and this holds true for muppets with me.

Brian

On another note - who said Greg was cancelled? A couple weeks ago, Seth Green was on a late night appearance saying that it was going into production again and new shows will be airing later. Maybe it's just on hiatus until the fall season. I would like to read the article that states otherwise, but I really think that some of y'all have jumped the gun.

scott

Reaction score
I believe Seth meant the final 7 episodes. When the show was ordered 6 episodes were made, then when the air date was set the filmed the last 7.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Ah, that could be it. I always thought the program was better suited for cable. Maybe HBO or SHO will pick them up. Heck, maybe Comedy Central.

Luke

Reaction score
Jamie,

I do fully acknowledge (and have done countless times in the past) that Fox has a slightly better track record than other networks of keeping ailing shows on air (Futurama for one) but this doesn't mean they are a charity and I think puppet shows, be they Muppets, ALF, Greg or any other are always going to get a rougher deal, basically because they are something a little different and the industry as of right now does not like to take risks.

I did not suggest the Muppets would get cancelled - i said they would probably get exactly the same treatment as Greg, meaning they would be given possibly at most two or three months chance at getting some decent ratings. I think this is being much more realistic than pessemistic and if you understand about how much the rights for an established brand like the 'Muppets' would cost compared to 'Greg' then you'd get just how much more of a financial risk them continuing to produce a Muppet show would be if things started to go wrong. Thats not saying it will go wrong though !

Speaking from personal experience - the Media industry has changed a lot since 9/11 and already in a slump, things have got dire. Especially in the U.S they are producing only what they can almost guarantee will be successes and doing a lot of cheap nostalgia stuff - basically sticking to that is cheap or formats they know best.

'Greg' getting cancelled could well be a bad omen for the Muppets, or, even though the new show is supposed to be innovative and edgy, the Americans might well embrace them as part of the nostalgia boom - IMHO i don't think it's a great time for them to be doing a new Muppet show, but hey - at least they actually got a deal !