No Muppets At Nascar???

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
OOOH! I'm so mad...here's what a friend of mine turned me onto at www.jayski.com (scroll halfway down the page):

No Muppets at the track? UPDATE 2 Muppetgate (what a joke): now this makes no sense, seems there is some battle going on between ISC (who owns ChicagoLand Speedway) and the Muppet people and characters not being allowed on speedway property. ?? Tony Stewart mentioned during an interview how ridiculous it is after having the paint schemes on the track, selling the diecasts and making folks buy tickets for all the races. Dale Jarrett said the same thing and feels they are being 'jerks' about it. See my Muppet Paint Schemes/PR page for the car images and news.

UPDATE: FSN's Totally NASCAR reports that the muppets were not allowed in the track due to 'licensing issues'.(7-12-2002)

UPDATE 2: When Elliott came into the media center at Chicagoland Speedway to talk about his third-place qualifying run, he turned the tables and asked the media a question. "Isn't someone going to ask me about the Muppets being in jail?" Elliott asked. "Muppetgate" was on the minds of nearly everyone at the track Friday, and several teams put signs up in the garage that read "Free the Muppets." Images of the characters who first appeared on the children's show "Sesame Street" are on eight Winston Cup cars this week, but track officials wouldn't let the characters participate in the pre-race festivities. Track spokesman Brian Crichton said "Chicagoland Speedway is not part of the Muppet program," and therefore the characters won't be allowed inside the track. "We're not a partner in the program that has been put together with the Muppets," said Crichton, who was unable to say whether the Muppets were asked to pay a fee to be a part of the festivities.(Atlanta Journal Constitution)(7-13-2002)

I don't like that Chicagoland Speedway. TheDude here at Muppet Central needs to go out there and DO SOMETHING!!! MATT!! GET BUSY!!!

FOZ

tomahawk

Reaction score
espn

they showed some really short clips of amimal,pepe and rowlf on espn hanging out in what looked like a corn field asking for tickets.animal was holding a sign that said"NEED TICKETS".

Zack the Dog

Reaction score
So that's why I haven't seen any Muppets yet, I saw the rowlf car thought!

But this is totally discusting, they have known about this for months and now the day of the race, they are not allowed?!?! Piggy needs to do some pushing! The muppets could break in. They did at WDW. ;-)

grrrrrrr, this make this dog mad!

Zack)Rowlf the, what now the Muppets aren't allowed on MTV? j/k i saw the video on mtv2 today! that's an up! Dog.

beaker

Reaction score
i would have loved to have seen those espn clips, but i feel so...so *violated* after having wasted an hour of my life watching Nascar in futile hopes of seeing the muppets. I dont even think I heard a word about them uttered. Instead I get an endless sea of mullets, beer, and proud jerry springer americans.

I didnt like the idea of our beloved furry pals with nascar, other than the merchandise and perhaps wider exposure. Everyone knows Nascar races are just a 3 hour commerical for big tabacco ciggareete and beer commercial, with the occational athlete and audience deaths. perhaps instead of free beer helmets and jeff gordan bobbleheads they should give out some missing chromozones and tooth brushes.

and to further illustrate nascar's messy red tape (besides the fact there really is no set rules as seen by a recent nascar.com poll) they do this to the muppets? whats this about not letting em on the chicagoland speedway? doesnt surprise me one bit.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I'm just offended that once again the mainstream press can't tell the difference betwenn The Muppet Show and Sesame Street.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
I think it's the whole Kermit thing that throws them off.

I'm just offended that those idiots nixed having the Muppet Cars there.

FOZ

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yup, but it says Muppet Show right on the darn cars. This Nascar reporter doesn't seem to have first grade reading skills.:eek:

SuperGrover

Reaction score
Yeah, some Sesame Street would definitely do that Nascar reporter (& friends) some good, at least bring him up to speed on his reading skills.

I did see the Piggy, Kermit, Dale Jarrett commercial for UPS towards the end of the race.

Still, too bad no dogs (or Rats. I miss Rizzo too!) allowed. Eh, Zack?

Rats indeed.

tomahawk

Reaction score
bobby labonte

kudos to bobby labonte for wearing a muppets 25th anniversary hat in his interview.

sidcrowe

Reaction score
Froggy's comment, "I'm just offended that once again the mainstream press can't tell the difference between The Muppet Show and Sesame Street," is perfect. I can't improve on it.

That says it all.

What a disappointment:frown: