Noggin/Unpaved Saturday December 28 2002

Jaboom97

Reaction score
I made a VCR recording faux pax-as it is a complicated thing when recording off of the digital cable converter(although this is my first folly)--box must be left on Noggin CH 120 (in OHIO Valley), and the vcr must be set up to record ch 3 the output of the digital converter--in lieu of the Holiday season I made a major mistake/oversight and did not record the Unpaved episode from early Saturday morning(I am all set for Sunday's episode), I just hope they dont stick on a newer episode like they did last Sunday before X-mas. So the main reason for the post is to inquire what episode I missed and from what year was this episode if someone can briefly give me a description of what I missed I would greatly appreciate it. I will not make the same recording error twice. 330am is too late for me to stay up to actually watch Noggin, thats why I am relying on the recording of the program.

Thank You,
Jeremy

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
OK...last night/this morning's episode was an episode from 1971 (with the short-lived characters Tom, Rafael, and Molly the mail lady), sponsored by the letters B and M, and the number 4. The plot was that a rainstorm came to Sesame Street, and there were various street segments related to that. Here are some of the skits (non-street) I remember:

Mahna Mahna
Cartoon about a man inviting an M over for dinner (the M eats everything, and the man says he'll never invite an M over for dinner again...)
Cartoon about big and small (with various people and creatures saying their big, small, bigger, smaller, etc...)
Cartoon about a boy who knocked various B-objects off of a brick wall with a baseball bat (narrated by Casey Kasem, or at least someone who sounded like him)
The "B is for bicycle, B is for bear" cartoon segment (bear rides a bicycle, then goes over a bump, and hits a tree filled with bees, who chase him away)
Kermit teaching about the letter B (as Cookie Monster eats pieces off, turning it into different letters)
Kermit teaching counting with four eggs, which hatch into four chicks
An addition/subtraction short, featuring insects and lizards
Anything Muppet segment with two kids playing hide-and-seek; the one seeking has to recite the entire alphabet, then find the one hiding, but the one seeking can't remember what comes after certain letters, so the one hiding has to keep coming up to him and reminding him...when he reminds him that Z comes after Y, the one seeking says "Z", and then wins, because he found the one hiding!
Grover tried to surprise Ernie, who is actually Herry (with a BLUE nose) wearing Ernie's shirt, with a wig that looks like Ernie's hair
Ernie and Bert segment where Ernie has a piece of string tied to one finger, reminding him he has a piece of string tied to the next finger, etc., etc., until the last finger with a piece of string tied to it reminds him that they're out of string
Ernie and Bert segment, with Ernie tearing the apartment apart looking for a note for Bert, which reads: "Dear Bert, It's your turn to clean the apartment. Love, Ernie."
Anything Muppet segment with a Muppet trying to buy a hat; all the hats fit the store owner, who has a larger head, but not the person shopping there, who has a small head
The Mystery of the Four Dragons

And that's all I can remember...

Jaboom97

Reaction score
Thank You, but I was referring to the late Friday early Saturday morning episode of Noggin--I did manage to record late Saturday/early Sunday episode from 1971/72(credits say 72) that you described, anyhow if anyone can post on what I missed from the Saturday episode, it would greatly be appreciated. Also how long did they use the cartoon closing on sesame street? Today was the first time I ever saw that, and I was really wow'd with it.

Again Thank You for your help,
Jeremy

mikealan

Reaction score
Here are the extra goodies I remembered!

A Muppet in the Hat Store is Farley
Harvey Kneeslapper slaps a "B" on the blue AM man's chest
The number painter painting a "4" on the umbrella
Four Big Lions (sung by a cartoon fiddler)
Circles vs. Squares segment
Jack and the B-Stalk (an old cartoon)
A boy taking a bath with a baby bear (an old "B" cartoon)
M-Milk (an old cartoon)

Ah, these are the ones you never thought of.

My parents taped this episode along with TEC and 123 Sesame Street.

I now have two volumes of LATE NIGHT NOGGIN.

Do you think episodes with Sam the Robot would be on next weekend when I'm going away?

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Oh! I know what late Friday/early Saturday's episode was too! It was the 1971 season premiere (featuring the first appearance of Mr. Snuffleupagus), and I know some of the segments in that, since I saw it back in July or August, and some of it this weekend also:

Herbert Birdsfoot and Grover teach the letter M
Melvin the Moving Man cartoon
"Seasons" cartoon
"Which Comes First, The Chicken or the Egg?" film segment
A "cooperation" segment featuring Mr. Hooper
Ernie and Bert segment with Ernie counting sheep, then fire engines, then a balloon (which pops and startles Bert)

Jaboom97

Reaction score
Thank You--I figured I missed something good(if anyone has a copy of this I would be willing to make a $ donation in your name to supplement the cost of tape shipping time etc), Mainly though who are these people in the episode from early Sunday morning(rain episode)--I am sure Molly is played by the actress who played Mrs. Garrett Charalotte Rae, but who are Tom and Rafael-- who sounds kind of Croatian(like Dr Kovach of ER) what happened to these short lived characters, what were their purposes, personalities --where was Mr Hooper, and Luis, Gordon etc? I also noticed David was in this episode also the credits at the end(scrolling cartoon) showed that actors such as Luis, Maria, and the regular cast names were all listed. Gordon's I think said Hal Miller, if I am not mistaken, was that Gordon number #2? Lastly when does the Count come in on these episodes? Or is this too early for Count appearances? Does he make any early street appearances?

mikealan

Reaction score
I certainly have #162 and the Rainstorm episode on two tapes. I might be real upset that I would not see many other early episodes. I wish that full-length SS episodes would be on tape and DVD, because I think Noggin wants to play it on late Friday/late Saturday nights. In 1999-01, I REALLY, REALLY MISSED THEM!!!!!!

Jaboom97

Reaction score
How about the one I missed I believe someone said it was the season opener for 1971-72, I have the other two you mentioned, but thanks for being so helpful.

beaker

Reaction score
Once and for all: Are Kermit, Mahna Mahna, Splurge, Beautiful Day Monster, and Rowlf the only classic Muppets to ever appear on Sesame Street?

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
Jaboom:

Rafael was played by Raul Julia. Also, in 1971-72, Gordon was still played by Matt Robinson...

I think Tom was a replacement for Will Lee...he was either away, or decided he didn't want to work on the show anymore, and then got second thoughts. (Of course, maybe I was wrong, and Tom was simply Mr. Hooper's assistant, sort of like Gina was to David in her early appearances...)

I think Luis first appeared in the 1972 season premiere (contrary to all the information that he first appeared in the 1971 season premiere), probably because Raul Julia couldn't be Rafael anymore, or didn't want to.